Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Waiting to see if Pentax makes any announcement

Not just me waiting to see if Pentax will make an announcement in about five weeks (hopefully much sooner); but two of my clients also on hold and awaiting.

I presently own quite the variety of cameras; but by far the largest variety in terms of lens selection belong to Pentax. My curent Pentax outfit includes; two digital camera bodies (the K-01 and K-5); ten Pentax PK lens', a good variety of other lens makes for the PK, nine dedicated flash units, etc... Thaat also doesn't include other Pentax film cameras and even ones such as the Ricoh XR-S. I also have to "settle" for other makes of full frame digital cameras, and even medium format cameras.

Here is the delima...

Clients on hold awaiting to see the possible results (if ANY??) of Photokina; to see if Pentax will announce a new camera body of any sort; non full frame or better yet full frame. I almost have to wonder what the odds will be - especially given that stocks are running out on the current K-5.

I sincerely hope that Pentax releases something. In addition to a new camera of sorts; possibly two more lens' (at least??), and maybe even a new flash?

Those two clients even willing to spring for half of the cost of any new Pentax camera IF it happens to be W/R; as much so as the K-5 or the even better sealed K30. That, and they'll also spring for a W/R lens of my choosing. If not I'm almost forced into going into another label besides Pentax. I'll still keep all of the existing Pentax labels, but will also still be hoping for more.

In a way this is a bit sad. Companies such as Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, and even Panasonic - all happen to officially publish well in advance of when there cameras come out. And technically as long as one can gain a companies trust; I've even personally been let in on future releases well before published. It's a bit concerning that there isn't much noise coming from Pentax.

08-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Whoa. I want your clients.
08-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just wishing that Pentax could publish a few of there things a bit further out. Even Nikon has done it for two of there products; over a month in advance of the event.

Wondering if there is something (some reasoning) that keeps Pentax from publishing such things?
08-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel that a replacement for the K5 is definite. The K30 wasn't a K5 replacement and doesn't have some pro specs (like battery grip) and with the falling K5 prices this is an indicator that the K5 replacement is coming. I think the question is...will it be FF or APS-C. what I could see happening with Photokina is announcing a K5 APS-C replacement that would be ready to ship by December...and then we would see a spring announcement of a FF that would be ready next fall. So the question at that point is do you buy the K5 replacement or do you wait.

of course, I could be wrong and there could be no FF at all and only just a K5 replacement.

08-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Several other members can affirm with me on this:

During the Pentax k-30 tour, the host said that a new camera (k-5 replacement, it seems) will be announced in October. He asked me to attend the photo convention at the Javitz Center in NYC in October.

Perhaps it will be hinted or shown at Photokina first.

In addition to the above - he kept reiterating that lenses was the future for Pentax, and there will be new offerings to that regard. I hope he is correct.
08-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh coming out with B&W cam, ala Leica monochrom.
08-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think an announcement will be made in advance because we know that there will be a sequel to the K5, probably with a 24 megapixel APS-C sensor. This will come at Photokina. The only question is the exact specs and even those you can probably guess.

The big question in most people's mind is if full frame is coming to the line up and there, I think Pentax is still weighing their options. Still, I would hope that they would show a mock up of a full frame Pentax, add full frame lenses to the lens road map and schedule a launch for the bunch in March of 2013.

08-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Just wishing that Pentax could publish a few of there things a bit further out. Even Nikon has done it for two of there products; over a month in advance of the event.

Wondering if there is something (some reasoning) that keeps Pentax from publishing such things?
In fact we are missing a well-informed pentaxrumors.com website like the other brands
08-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
It's a bit concerning that there isn't much noise coming from Pentax.
Indeed.

In the worst case scenario, Hoya would've abandoned all product development on DSLR's after K-5 (and the K-5 mk II aka K-30), anticipating a sale of the business.

I think this would be quite a gamble and would've brought the sale price down, too. So I think it's unlikely.

I give it 85%+ chance we see a new camera at Photokina. I think it's APS-C. If Pentax was smart they would announce a FF camera at that point too but we'll see.
08-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look, if they've discontinued production of the K-5, it's pretty certain they'll be releasing a new APS-C flagship. It's highly unlikely they'll also release a FF simply because they've consistently said they aren't developing one--even though they're certainly aware that some folks are jumping ship on that account. They may surprise us but I give them credit for not promising FF.