Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I keep wondering why Pentax does not add a Vari-Angle LCD?

I would think that it is a very simple thing to do. Any official word from Pentax why they have not?

08-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Because I hated having one on my Canon back in the day

Although it would be sweet if Pentax could incorporate this feature into a WR camera which I think would be a nightmare to do.
08-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well Olympus managed to pull it off with WR models.

had my hands on a 650D recently, the Vari angle and touch screen set focus was pretty handy.

My only guess is Pentax is trying to play the price factor and do not think pentaxians will be comfortable with the additional cost of an vari-angle lcd. How wrong are they when all they need to do is just check the sales of their DA* and Limited lens.
08-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A vari-angle touchscreen k-5 successor would make the camera very successful, I'd say- but it would be a first for Pentax.

08-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A vari-angle touchscreen k-5 successor would make the camera very successful, I'd say- but it would be a first for Pentax.
See whether Pentax President has the balls to add more Firsts to Pentax`s History of Firsts.
08-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Banned

Now a variable angle would indeed be a welcome option. I've had press moments where I didn''t choose to be "first in line" where I also wouldn't have minded having the ability to periscope the camera more effectively. Yet, I have already made an adapted physical mirror (of sorts) attachment that does work with both a K-5 and K-01 - but upside down.

And here's an even better option for people that had film cameras back in the 80's... Remember the Pentax LX?

Add that one to the variable angle wish list. Have all of the new Pentax's (with viewfinders) also have removeble viewfinders that allow for different viewfinder options. As a medium format user I cannot tell everyone how invalueable this "option" would be.
08-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really miss the tilt-screen on my Sony DSC-F717 (actually tilt-body ). Didn't realize how much until after I switched to Pentax DSLRs. I have assumed that it was size and ruggedization issues that held Pentax back from making adjustable angle screens. BTW, I also have an early Nikon P&S that has a vari-angle LCD, and personally found that the Sony tilt-only solution has almost as much utility.

08-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Inactive Account

As Pentax has been the 'value' brand it has probably been a cost thing up till now, also WR may have been a barrier.
You will probably see it under Ricohs control starting with possibly the K5 replacement.
I feel the K-01 really needed one and hopefully any revision of that will have it.
The Q can stay as it is as long as the LCD is bright enough, I would prefer it stays small as possible.