Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
We all have our favorites, the films we are most comfortable with.
I too love the older films, but it's clear there have been some real
advances in film technology and quality since those were made.

Chris
Oh, true, I wasn't insinuating that everybody should like the film that I'm liking

My point was merely that with the "older films" with which I am comfortable, I can make big, fine-grained enlargements, tight crops, have very high DR (at least, know how to get high DR from them), etc. They're fairly stable against heat, fairly easy to develop......if I was the R&D manager for Kodak or Fuji, I wouldn't really know what I'd ask my engineers to work to improve....

Not saying that the world stops at FP5/T-max and Kodachrome, of course, but I'd wager that the improvements up until (say) FP5 were much much bigger than those occurring since FP5 (diminishing returns...), and that the quality of films *today* already is more than great.

Put it another way: there's a lot more wrong with the digital sensors of today than there is with the films of a decade ago

08-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
B&W concerns me much less than colour, though my use is about 50/50. There are a lot of companies producing B&W films and doing well, hence I'm not so worried. Kodak produces very good B&W films too. But as stated previously and as most of us would imagine, producing a good colour film takes more money and research, and my cencern is more in continued availability and price of colour films.
Yes very true, colour film is more in danger than b&w, especially E6 slide film.

Phil.
08-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yes very true, colour film is more in danger than b&w, especially E6 slide film.

Phil.
I hope Portra makes it. They already merged the NC and VC.
08-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #19

Still doing my part to keep it alive; shot two rolls of Tri-X yesterday, and have a dozen more rolls. Then I'll go and get some more, or maybe some T-Max when those are gone.

08-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about tubes used in guitar amps, but there is work going into Hi-fi tubes.
thanks
barondla
08-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If in 5 years I can still buy Portra 400 and Ektar 100 I'll be a happy man, I fear I'm heading for disappointment though.