Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kodak announces intent to sell film business

An announcement on the kodak.com homepage implies that Kodak plans to sell its consumer film and photo business.

Kodak announcement

Wall Street Journal story 8/23

Chris

08-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you see any mention of print film business being sold, other than on that WSJ article? I couldn't find any reference to it on Kodak's site.

They do state they are keeping "commercial film and specialty chemicals" businesses though, and I know they brokered a 3-year deal with several of the big studios to continue supplying movie film.
08-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
While their commercial film will probably be unaffected, I do believe that the print film section is also part of the section to be sold.
08-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Kodak to sell off film division

Kodak has made the decision to sell off its film and paper divisions, as it continues to restructure its business around printing

Kodak is looking to exit the film business, announcing that it would be selling its Personalized Imaging and Document Imaging departments, which encompass digital scanners, picture kiosks, souvenir photo products, photographic paper, as well as Kodak's legendary film businesses.
(...)
Kodak hopes to sell off the Personalized Imaging and Document Imaging businesses before June 2013
(...)
prospective buyers will be able to use the Kodak trademark with all future film products.

(...) Kodak "will continue to manufacture all its products (pro film, etc.) during this time [of transition]."

Source: British Journal of Photography Kodak to sell off film division [UPDATE] - British Journal of Photography

08-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saw this last night after I posted.

The Online Photographer: Kodak to Sell Film and Paper Business
08-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to see it go to Fuji or Ilford. It would kinda be like Ricoh buying Pentax. It would sad to see it be sold, but there would be comfort in knowing it was in good hands.
08-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'd love to see it go to Fuji or Ilford. It would kinda be like Ricoh buying Pentax. It would sad to see it be sold, but there would be comfort in knowing it was in good hands.
That might save the Kodak brand if Fuji or Ilford bought them, but it would see an end to any future Kodak film development. I think it would be best if the Kodak film division was bought by a company who did not currently produce film.

Phil.
08-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
That might save the Kodak brand if Fuji or Ilford bought them, but it would see an end to any future Kodak film development. I think it would be best if the Kodak film division was bought by a company who did not currently produce film.

Phil.

We need to accept that there's not going to be any future development into film. I'm a guitarist and I see film as being a bit like tubes. There will be a market for this product in the future for quite a while, but all of the effort will be put into maintaining the status quo...not in research into new products.

08-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We need to accept that there's not going to be any future development into film. I'm a guitarist and I see film as being a bit like tubes. There will be a market for this product in the future for quite a while, but all of the effort will be put into maintaining the status quo...not in research into new products.
Maybe true for the big companies, but smaller European ones like Adox and Rollei are bringing out new and improved films, especially in b&w.

Phil.
08-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

One of the things that I wonder about is: for regular photography, is there really much more that can be attained by film?

T-Pan, PanF, Kodachrome were my 3 favorite films about a decade ago, and remain so today. The past decade of R&D hasn't brought anything out besting those 3. I suspect that we've reached a point of diminishing returns with respect to regular photographic film.

Thus, maintaining status quo seems to actually be a fairly reasonable - even desirable - goal.
08-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Maybe true for the big companies, but smaller European ones like Adox and Rollei are bringing out new and improved films, especially in b&w.

Phil.
That'll stop or slow to a trickle...if it hasn't already.
08-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That'll stop or slow to a trickle...if it hasn't already.
It's still possible to improve the resolution (grain) of film and these smaller companies have the R&D to do so.This film would have been impossible to produce 30 years ago:

- ADOX CMS Film -

Phil.
08-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
One of the things that I wonder about is: for regular photography, is there really much more that can be attained by film?

T-Pan, PanF, Kodachrome were my 3 favorite films about a decade ago, and remain so today. The past decade of R&D hasn't brought anything out besting those 3. I suspect that we've reached a point of diminishing returns with respect to regular photographic film.

Thus, maintaining status quo seems to actually be a fairly reasonable - even desirable - goal.
We all have our favorites, the films we are most comfortable with.
I too love the older films, but it's clear there have been some real
advances in film technology and quality since those were made.

Chris
08-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Too bad this wasn't done before they dumped Kodachrome.
08-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Phil.
B&W concerns me much less than colour, though my use is about 50/50. There are a lot of companies producing B&W films and doing well, hence I'm not so worried. Kodak produces very good B&W films too. But as stated previously and as most of us would imagine, producing a good colour film takes more money and research, and my cencern is more in continued availability and price of colour films.