Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Which web print shop to use?

Hi,
I am considering to offer some of my prints for sale. Anyone here has any knowlege where to try to sell prints of some of my landscapes? Anyone uses some services? Something like deviantart offers? Or like art.com ? Or something else?
Any advice would be usefull, tnx

09-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SmugMug Pro is a good way to sell prints online. They use a few labs in California and have good paper choices, sizes and framing options. It's also very easy for potential customers to buy prints through them.
09-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
SmugMug Pro is a good way to sell prints online. They use a few labs in California and have good paper choices, sizes and framing options. It's also very easy for potential customers to buy prints through them.
Unfortunately they just raised the price of a pro account by $100.
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I've been with them so long, I never even noticed they raised the price. I've been a $20 a month pro business user since they started offering it. But even at $300 a year, it's a bargain. I always make my subscription fee back in sales.

09-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tnx Ari. Any other thoughts?
09-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't know what deviant art or other have to offer. They are probably a very good start.
I've been told I should post some of my stuff on ETSY.com, but I have not looked into that yet. Dunno if I want my photography lumped in with yarn tea-cozies and playdough desk-gnomes.

Some alternates as well...
Buy a hosting service for a few $ a month, use Wordpress for free and put on a quality shopping cart for a few hundred to over a $1000, customize it for another grand. Support the site with software updates, etc... you could hire someone for a few $$ an hour.
Personally, Smugmug and Zenfolio don't look all that expensive after all.
You might want to look into ZenFolio's "Premium" (second tier) service. You can sell items with price lists for about $120 a year at the moment.

Yeah, I'm debating whether I can afford to stay with Smug Mug's price doublage... guess I need to do about one extra shoot per year to make up the difference (I'm a pretty small-time shooter). Hmmm, actually one extra shoot could probably pay for my entire subscription. In those terms, it really is not very expensive. :-)

Honestly though... You can get a Wordpress theme for about $100-200 that has basic shopping cart (I simply cannot recall the name for it) and hosting a webspace is only a few $$ a month for sufficient web traffic..
If you don't mind the hassle of updating Wordpress every few weeks because it is one of the most highly hacked products on the web... it can be a very inexpensive way to go about selling prints.
I would just suggest going to some extra effort ensuring your banking info and your user's accounts are well protected in case someone gets in.
All that responsibility is now on your shoulders, should something go wrong.
Probably run you half the cost of Zenfolio or SmgMug, but has a lot more of your own time invested to get and keep running.
09-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kresica Quote
Hi,
I am considering to offer some of my prints for sale. Anyone here has any knowlege where to try to sell prints of some of my landscapes? Anyone uses some services? Something like deviantart offers? Or like art.com ? Or something else?
Any advice would be usefull, tnx
I would advise using the HEMA, Albert Heijn or Kruidvat - they're all quite OK