Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

First wedding on Friday.

As the title says, I've got my first wedding on Friday; this is a combination 'argh, I'm excited', 'argh, I'm terrified' and 'have I planned properly?' post.

I'm doing this for free for a friend (it's my first wedding as the first photographer and I have explained that as it's my first time I might stuff-up...) on the understanding that I'll use any relevant shots in my portfolio, give the B&G the normal shots on a CD, but will charge individually anyone else who wants any other shots or prints. I've pretty much completed my website and will finish that tomorrow and get my business cards printed - also made it clear I'll be, if not exactly touting for business, open for talking to anyone who's interested in giving me work.

As far as equipment goes I'll be taking my kx and gripped k5, a YN560, Cactus AF50 and small auto-thyristor Sunpak (which is fantastic for fill-flash), a 120cm reflector and various small modifiers, and a good selection of lenses including a Sigma 24 - 70 2.8, 35 2.4, A 50 1.7 and M 24 2.2, and a couple of other longer and slower Tamron and F and FA lenses. I have 28 good AAs fully charged for the flashes and kx, and three batteries for the K5. Most of the time I'll have the 35 on the kx and the 24-70 on the K5. For memory I'm taking two 8 and four 16GB class 10 cards and a laptop for backup - not intending on over-writing any of them during the day. I'll be taking a pair of tripods and mounts for the flashes. One's a cheapy only suitable as a stand, the other's a good 'un for low light long lens shots during the ceremony.

I've met with the B&G twice to discuss what they want and written it all down, and I'm going to the rehearsal tomorrow and then the reception hotel afterwards to take test shots at the same time of day as the real event. They're getting married on Plymouth Hoe and want lots of shots by the lighthouse and sea so I've gone up there on sunny, overcast and cloudy days days to figure out my settings and noted them down. I've trained two friends how to use the kx and the '560 as neither can help me for the whole day, so I'll always have at least one assistant present. The celebrant is happy for me to be shooting throughout the ceremony and then to pose afterwards for any shots needing flash, and there's a secure place that I'll have a key to already set aside for me at the hotel for me to leave my laptop and other kit. There's also a space just after where the guests will be queueing to congratulate the B&G as they go into the reception. I was planning on setting up my lights there and doing formals of the guests as they arrive and are looking at their best whilst my assistant takes pictures of the queue.

I'm arriving at their house two hours before the hairdresser and make-up artist arrive so I can get shots of the parents and bridesmaids arriving, some ring, flower and bouquet shots, possibly a few boudoir shots as well and all the bride's preparations and her setting off in the car.

Lastly, I'm going to talk to the ushers tomorrow at the rehearsal and ask them to assist me on rounding guests up for the group shots as they'll know everyone and which party they'll be in.

Have I gone overboard on preparation? Missed anything important out? I've prepared and practised hard for this as I want to enjoy seeing two good friends of mine get married and do a good job of the pictures. It's also important to me to get this right as I've started getting paid commissions over the last few months and I reckon having a good set from a wedding I've shot will help my portfolio.

This has rather turned into a reminder list and mental run-through for me, so thanks for reading this far, any advice will be gratefully received.

Last edited by wildweasel; 09-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.
09-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you have done your prep and homework well. I'll be following this as I'm doing my first wedding on Sunday and am looking for any additional insight. Your reminded me I should grab more media... 4 32gb cards should be enough right? Maybe I'll grab a couple of 64's in addition just in case.
09-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Mazel tov!
09-11-2012, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
on the understanding that I'll use any relevant shots in my portfolio, give the B&G the normal shots on a CD, but will charge individually anyone else who wants any other shots or prints.
Oh, no, not a "shoot and burn!" You might need to do this for the first two weddings or so (to get the portfolio and experience), but after that you need to go higher end. Provide something concrete, like a wedding album, that they can hold in their hands. Require an "engagement" shoot. An so on. You need to get compensated for all the work you do, and the B&G need something that will last, not just a few Facebook photos. Be a good photographer, and let your clients expect quality (and decorum) and expect to pay for it. Remember, in the end it may actually be only the bride's parents who have to be sold on the $3000 package, not the penniless B&G. If you do any significant PP and other work before and after (as you should), you'll need to design a way to be properly compensated.

09-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Oh, no, not a "shoot and burn!" You might need to do this for the first two weddings or so (to get the portfolio and experience), but after that you need to go higher end. Provide something concrete, like a wedding album, that they can hold in their hands. Require an "engagement" shoot. An so on. You need to get compensated for all the work you do, and the B&G need something that will last, not just a few Facebook photos. Be a good photographer, and let your clients expect quality (and decorum) and expect to pay for it. Remember, in the end it may actually be only the bride's parents who have to be sold on the $3000 package, not the penniless B&G. If you do any significant PP and other work before and after (as you should), you'll need to design a way to be properly compensated.
totallly agreed. I'm doing that with one client already. I'm doing that with my wedding,...giving them "my picks" in 4x6's, then they can choose what goes into the album which will be 8.5x11 leather bind on metallic paper...which costs a bloody fortune, but is sexy sexy!
09-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Require an "engagement" shoot.
Slightly off topic, but curious

How has that worked for you? Right now I offer engagements as an add-on with very few folks interested in it. Its a mixed bag with other folks in my area too. I can't justify raising my price to include an engagement shoot, but its definitely something to think about now that you've brought it up, and I'm curious how that might have worked out.

Dave
09-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Glad to see my plan is workable - this will be the only one I do for free, and if they weren't such old friends I would be charging even though it's my first. I've put a lot of time and effort into learning to take pictures and to use PP software to get the shots right, and I think it's only fair to be properly remunerated for that and the time spent shooting and editing. I'm also aware that if you charge too little nobody values your work.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

09-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wired - you wanted feedback. I used to work 10 hour days in construction. I used to work 16 hour days doing tree surgery and landscaping. I used to work 72 hour shifts as a care worker in a secure mental health unit. I have never felt more exhausted after a day's work in my life, but I have never enjoyed a day's work as much either.

Be prepared to shout, just to be heard over the hubbub when you're doing the group shots. Be ready to tell people what you want them to do, and then shout at them again. Get the bride on your side, and if that doesn't work, find her mum. The inbetween shots are where you have most fun. Got enough batteries for your flash? No you haven't. Flash? Singular? Glad I had 2 AND a backup. Cards cards cards, you need lots of memory - I took my laptop so I could back up and I felt a hell of a lot more relaxed each time I did. No drinking until the speeches, pass out plenty of business cards, shmooze the hairdresser and makeup artist as they can help you get commissions, and have a ball. I loved every second of it even though I'm knackered as I never have been before..

Most importantly of all; be prepared to have the screaming heebie-geebies when both bodies die on you just before the first kiss, and know how to fix them. Not impressed by that btw, both bodies going down at the same time. I managed to salvage that by having the celebrant on my side (charm is your most valuable tool).

I've done one wedding now and I cannot wait to do the next.
09-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, sounds like a blast.

How many gigs of shots did you take overall? how many camera batteries did you go through? I hope my business cards show up in time. Just ordered them 2 weeks ago and haven't seen them yet.

Congrats on the first wedding! Heres to man more.
09-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Wired, I took 21.5GB of shots over twelve hours, virtually all on the K5. I pretty much only used the 24-70, though the 70-200 and 35 did get used for a few shots. I didn't change camera batteries at all, but for most of the day I had a grip with a second pack in it attached. In total I took 1100 shots, though a lot of those were trying to get the perfect shot of all the under three year old flower girls... Problem with that number of shots is editing; I'm in the process of culling the best ones out now. I'm really happy with, at a guess, about 2-300 of them from having flicked through, so I'll concentrate on them first then have another squiz through the ones that are left, see if I missed any less standard ones that are worth PP'ing. In total, I want to have about 100 to hand over, especially since the father of the bride said he'll pay me the going rate for each shot I hand over - wonder if he knows how much that is .

Good luck with tomorrow, you'll have a great time.
09-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
Hi Wired, I took 21.5GB of shots over twelve hours, virtually all on the K5. I pretty much only used the 24-70, though the 70-200 and 35 did get used for a few shots. I didn't change camera batteries at all, but for most of the day I had a grip with a second pack in it attached. In total I took 1100 shots, though a lot of those were trying to get the perfect shot of all the under three year old flower girls... Problem with that number of shots is editing; I'm in the process of culling the best ones out now. I'm really happy with, at a guess, about 2-300 of them from having flicked through, so I'll concentrate on them first then have another squiz through the ones that are left, see if I missed any less standard ones that are worth PP'ing. In total, I want to have about 100 to hand over, especially since the father of the bride said he'll pay me the going rate for each shot I hand over - wonder if he knows how much that is .

Good luck with tomorrow, you'll have a great time.
not a bad way to make a few bucks

Luckily, I messed up my dates. I still got another week to prepare.
09-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

Luckily, I messed up my dates. I still got another week to prepare.
Ha ha, classic. That's the type of thing I do all the time - but at least you didn't think it was a week later than it actually is .