Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have pre-ordered the new FF Sony NEX-VG900 to use my many Pentax K-mount lenses in FF mode. My wide angle lenses will work in their native angle FOV like my 20mm, 28-300mm, 35-70mm F2.8, 15mm F2.8 etc. I will also continue to use them on my Pentax DSLR in 1.5x crop mode, 2x crop mode on my GH1/ GH2 and 5.5x crop mode on my Pentax Q.
Nice move! Let us know how it goes.

09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have pre-ordered the new FF Sony NEX-VG900 to use my many Pentax K-mount lenses in FF mode. My wide angle lenses will work in their native angle FOV like my 20mm, 28-300mm, 35-70mm F2.8, 15mm F2.8 etc. I will also continue to use them on my Pentax DSLR in 1.5x crop mode, 2x crop mode on my GH1/ GH2 and 5.5x crop mode on my Pentax Q.
Some of the existing E-mount adapter seem to be APSC only (like, as it seems, Sony LA-EA1 now superceeded by LA-EA3). Is there already a full frame E-K adapter, maybe Novoflex?
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hear jogiba was banned forever from PF, after making the above pist.

I don't know the reasons and obviously don't want to know.

But I'd like to express in public that I'd like to see jogiba return to this site. No discussion needed, just a single voice.
09-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would anyone be banned for this?....need to correct this blunder as soon as you can mod

09-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I hear jogiba was banned forever from PF, after making the above post....
Surely not?
09-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #186
Veteran Member

whoa, strange tack you took here, Normhead. You were quite the fan of some rather 'unartistic' numbers in the D600 thread when it came to the OM-D...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Olympus OM-d sensor ranked 71 and 44th overall.

Pentax K-5 score 82 and ranked 10th overall.

First that's no 8 points. Second, they haven't tested the K 5 II or the K-5 IIs, ether of which could move Pentax up in the rankings again.

There are 33 cameras that are ranked better than the Olympus OM-d that aren't ranked as high as a Pentax K-5.

Sounds to me like you have to give up quite a lot to get a 4/3 camera. As much as you give up not getting a D600 as compared to a K-5. IN terms of formats, the K-5 sensor is actually ranked ahead of quite a few FF cameras... the Olympus... not so many if any.

Last edited by illdefined; 09-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.
09-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #187
Veteran Member

I read something about Olympus that made my ears prick up a little. It was the fact that when they tested the ISOs it was found to be a little out ! To say the least..... as 1600 ISO barley reached 800 ISO mmmmmm A bit of an Olympus con ? If this is true accross the line then this makes the little MD much less of a contender. If you were using FF at a wedding and lets say you were taking a pic of the bride and groom at the alter. 60th of a sec is chosen and F5.6 at 6400 ISO. Now then.... in comes the olympus.... 60th of a second, but because of the extra DOF only F2.8 is now needed. The full frame will give better results at 6400 ISO... except of course.... the Olympus only needs to shoot at 1600 ISO for the same pic ! This is sound theory in genral, BUT !
If its true that the MD is exagerating its ISO by a massive full stop then this changes the game once more. This would mean the olympus would need to shoot at 3200 ISO the same as APSC !
I think its a bit of a disgrace if the ISO ratings are really that far out. I would certainly investigate further before I bought one !

09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Westmil, plenty of cameras do this, including the K-5 when you turn on "Highlight Correction". it halves the ISO then bumps up the curve.

Ever notice you can't get to ISO 80 when you turn "highlight correction" on? It's something the excellent DR of these new Sony sensors allow.

Last edited by illdefined; 09-26-2012 at 09:33 AM.
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Westmil, plenty of cameras do this, including the K-5 when you turn on "Highlight Correction". it halves the ISO then bumps up the curve.

Ever notice you can't get to ISO 80 when you turn "highlight correction" on? It's something the excellent DR of these new Sony sensors allow.
Of course they do, Im well aware of the fact. This has nothing to do with highlight correction being set. It is the amount it is out... not the fact that it is out. When it was measured for ISO accuracy at 1600 ISO it was found to be in the region of 775 ISO. Thats not out, thats simply a lie lol. Thats simply a huge innacureacy ! As you say none are that accurate but this is at best, rather missleading. So much so that I think it has to be deliberate. Thats just my opinion of course but that is exactly how it appears to me.
09-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #190
Veteran Member

see this post by falconeye in the D600 thread. it's all the same sensor:

In response to above and a couple more posts...

Maybe, not everybody reads DxO results correctly. Basically, all recent Exmor sensors perform the same, K-5, D800, D600, OM-D. They just have differing surfaces. Pixel count is irrelevant for current Exmor system camera sensors.
A difference in score of 15 corresponds to 1 stop or a doubling of surface.

Between FT (OM-D) scoring 71 and D800E (FF) scoring 96 there is a 2 stop difference (actually, it is 25 rather than 30, but differences of 5 are said to be unnoticeable).

So, there is only basically trivial news in these DxO results, except maybe DxO now provided proof Olympus did use an Exmor sensor indeed.

Note:

If you do an exact normalization for surface, K-5 APS-C should score -18 below FF, and OM-D MFT should score -29 below FF, -11 below APS-C. So, OM-D and K-5 both have a 135mm-FF normalized score of exactly 100. The D800E stays 4 below that, but I think that DxO has trouble to really measure such high SNR. It is really hard to do as you know if you ever tried. So, part of the slightly better than expected result for the OM-D and slightly worse than expected result for the D800 may be a methodological measurement error. Maybe this is what delayed the publication of the test.

But maybe it was because Olympus always underexposes 1 stop (using half the displayed ISO setting). This made the OM-D look too god in most tests (like DPR) but didn't fool DxO. But maybe DxO needed to verify that it wasn't just their unit ...
09-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #191
Banned

Photos: Albums
I hear jogiba was banned forever from PF, after making the above pist.

I don't know the reasons and obviously don't want to know.

But I'd like to express in public that I'd like to see jogiba return to this site. No discussion needed, just a single voice.
Are you kidding? I thought he was doing a great job spreading the word about the 25 million Pentax lenses that you can mount on the K-01. This is madness!
09-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #192
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I read something about Olympus that made my ears prick up a little. It was the fact that when they tested the ISOs it was found to be a little out !
You also need to read this:

The Online Photographer: Why ISO Isn't ISO

09-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #193
Veteran Member

thank you for finding it L.C. here's the spoiler to the above article for the truly lazy:

QuoteQuote:
The Bottom Line

That's why DxOMark gives you a plot of camera ISO vs. sensor ISO. It doesn't reveal that a camera manufacturer is "fudging" or "lying." It tells you how the two different kinds of ISO, which are legitimately determined in very different ways, compare. That's all. It's not an exposé. It's just technical information. So far as real photography practices go, we care a lot more about camera ISO.
but you should read the full article. highly recommended.
09-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #194
Veteran Member

I hear jogiba was banned forever from PF
He now joins RiceHigh in that particular Hall of Fame. Strange bedfellows.