Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax doesn't really *need* to release more limited primes on the wider end - But it might be a good idea to update the lenses(Say, DA Limited 21mm Version II) to include things such as weather sealing(A simple task for a prime). Heck, even redevelop lenses with bad SDM issues into a new shell, while maintaining optical formulas.

09-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Canon is on at least their 3rd version of the USM AF motor. They continue to refine and improve the technology.

Lens Rentals did a comparison test of AF accuracy and consistency with the new USM lenses on the new 5DIII (new AF) and found a very significant improvement in the accuracy and consistency of the new USM when used on the new bodies.

I hope Pentax is working to make the same improvements with SDM. One thing I like about the newer systems is that you can update lens firmware with the lens on the camera. Several companies have show the advantage of this. Maybe we will see Pentax add this capability in the future.
09-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are enough primes. 97% of all lenses sold are zooms and Pentax have been lacking here. Pentax is about to complete the APS lens line-up. There is a Limited zoom coming - very neat and unique lens if you ask me. Then theres a ~120-380 coming which should cover most folks long telephoto needs. Then theres a replacement for the 16-50/2.8 with longer zoom range and a DA converter. This will give Pentax the largest and most unique and complete APS lens line-up out there.
If Pentax makes an FF camera they can start releasing D-FA lenses which also work on APS camera making the line-up even more complete. Having the best APS lin-up is only helping Pentax getting new buyers as it is here most of the recruiting happens.
I find it strange that some don't see the obvious strategy...
09-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I agree with ogl. Pentax's lens releases seems erratic and not cohesive with features and properties that a lot of us consider as Pentax traits.'

Lenses that should have WR versions do not (DA 55-300mm)
This new 18-270 doesn't have WR even though it looks like a WR lens.
The D-FA 100mm WR was an interesting direction, but abandoned after that single lens.
Pentax 35mm lenses are a general hodgepodge of various styles and more importantly some lack Pentax specific features and are worse for it.

My guess is they just didn't have the resources to make the line cohesive, or just didn't care to. Who knows what will happen now with Ricoh, but we won't see that for a while.

09-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

yes, it's hard not feeling Pentax is in freefall with their latest K5 recycling and Ned's sudden retirement. the smaller, weather sealed OM-D is really making the K5 seem bulky and decidedly low-tech and as for lenses well…

I thought they were going to be the affordable WR company, but while the latest 18-270 lens LOOKS WR it's not. do you remember when Pentax was the company doing these lenses? now micro 4/3rds has eaten their lunch. who is Pentax now?
Attached Images

09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have to agree with everyone that has posted. Pentax has lacked direction. Back when Pentax was independant they were comping out with very nice lenses. I do own all the FA Limiteds, DA Limiteds, DA* and DFA lenses. So I have a nice collection of good lenses. Then Hoya took over and there hasn't been a lens introduced that I wanted. The K30 is a really nice camera but I already own two K5 bodies. The Q and the K-01 both seem a little off or atleast not anything that I would be interested in. Still it took some R&D resources from Pentax to developed those two cameras. Pentax did mention at one time that it was the end of the lens line. I believe it was after the DA15 Limited was introduced. No one really knows that that statement means. It just seem really odd when there was so many gaps in the lens line-up

Still Ricoh spend a bunch of money purchasing Pentax and they stated that they hired back several engineers that Pentax let go under Hoya ownership. So I really expect some exciting things in the future for Pentax. A year or even less is not enough time to really get the new Ricoh inspired stuff to the market. I will think January at CP+ will be exciting times for us Pentaxians.

For leaks the revised K5 model was leaked months ago but no one really knew much about it. The rumor was the K-5 update with the tilt screen and that it will be announced for Photokina. Now we have rumors for a camera above the K5II so I will guess it will be released but not this year. Especially since Pentax stated that the K5II bodies will be the flagship models for this year. Another rumor is the K300 (or Kz), which will be the budget model and that it will be out very late this year. Just in time for holiday sales. It just might be that RH is somewhat correct but just had the time-frame wrong. :-)

Still a few cheap accessories would be really nice. Like extension tubes or couple teleconveters. It is not like they haven't designed them in the past. A re-introduction of the FA* lens line-up would be really great.

With Pentax one just don't know what is going on and in what direcdtion they are heading. Maybe at CP+ whey will announce the Q2 and the K-02 both with the EVP accessory ports.

Dave
09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not that they don't want to develop more lenses, especially the weather resistant ones, it's just they sunk their entire research/development funds ($42.39-US) into developing a full frame for all those weenies, err, I mean whiners.

09-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think what JinDesu and Mistral75 have said is right - that's about all there is to it. The approximate one-year-plus design cycle from planning to product release means we can't judge Ricoh based on product releases until at least next quarter. Some have suggested we'll see a new product roadmap by the end of the year or so, and I think they're right. They need to maintain the revenue stream while they execute their plans, so we'll know soon enough - when it's time. The management changes taking place right now probably mark the true end of the Hoya era.
09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
It's not that they don't want to develop more lenses, especially the weather resistant ones, it's just they sunk their entire research/development funds ($42.39-US) into developing a full frame for all those weenies, err, I mean whiners.
Prove it?

: