Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that it has lower pixel density than the K-5, it doesn't score any better than one should expect from a new FF sensor - so no shock here. But at least we now know that the 24mp sensor is pretty good, and if the Pentax FF will use the same sensor, we can expect good performance.

09-19-2012, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Given that it has lower pixel density than the K-5, it doesn't score any better than one should expect from a new FF sensor - so no shock here. But at least we now know that the 24mp sensor is pretty good, and if the Pentax FF will use the same sensor, we can expect good performance.

What Pentax FF? By the time one emerges, Nikon will have the next generation available.
09-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
What Pentax FF? By the time one emerges, Nikon will have the next generation available.
The one that they've now practically admitted that is coming in about a year. If Nikon already replaces the D600 (or D800) within a year, it would be a first, even for them.
09-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

^They've been dangling that carrot for far too long. A year? I haven't seen any official announcements about that. And so long as that's the case, the Pentax FF will just continue to be vaporware, as it's been for the past few years. Emphasis on the YEARS.

09-19-2012, 02:10 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

As I said somewhere else, it is worth noting that the D600's DxO numbers for dynamic range equal that of the K-5, the color-depth numbers are only 5% apart, and the low-light ISO numbers are only 1-1.5 stops different.

Before everyone slashes their wrists about the D600's DxO score, FF, Pentax, etc, while the D600 is an impressive beast, the DxOMark score reveals that the differences between it and a fine camera like the K-5 aren't exactly night-and-day.

If you don't shoot a lot of low-light and are happy with 16MP, the D600 is almost a big yawn for K-5 users.
09-19-2012, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
The D600 is quite impressive for a $2100 body. The K5IIs is $1300.
Really amazing what $800 gets you: full frame, raw full HD video out, better flash system, better auto focus, longer warranties, better support from 3rd party lens makers.
09-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As I said somewhere else, it is worth noting that the D600's DxO numbers for dynamic range equal that of the K-5, the color-depth numbers are only 5% apart, and the low-light ISO numbers are only 1-1.5 stops different.

Before everyone slashes their wrists about the D600's DxO score, FF, Pentax, etc, while the D600 is an impressive beast, the DxOMark score reveals that the differences between it and a fine camera like the K-5 aren't exactly night-and-day.

If you don't shoot a lot of low-light and are happy with 16MP, the D600 is almost a big yawn for K-5 users.
To tell you the truth, I don't really understand the DXO scores. I just care about the images, type, and style of images I take. Looking forward to more real world images.

09-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
To tell you the truth, I don't really understand the DXO scores.
If you want to understand them, they explain them in the About section. I also wrote this short overview here.
09-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Really amazing what $800 gets you: full frame, raw full HD video out, better flash system, better auto focus, longer warranties, better support from 3rd party lens makers.
Great point.
09-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
Site Supporter

According to the John Carson interview on DPR, everything we have seen till now is Hoya and it takes 18 months to develop a new system.

D600 looks great but I will be more interested to see what Pentax can do with that sensor. No rush for me.
09-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I will have money for a new system soon... but I want to see how the Canon 6D stacks up against it. But.. probably 4 grand with a couple decent lenses, or buy the 31 Ltd, 77and DA 15ltd. The chart I saw said the 6D had better low light performance, 2 stops better, and more dynamic range... and it's less MP, easier on the computer. And I still have to decide whether the 645 should be a consideration..
09-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
If you want to understand them, they explain them in the About section. I also wrote this short overview here.
Laurentiu,

I following the link, but couldn't find the DXO document. The link took me to the top of your site.
Do you have a more direct link. Thank you for taking the time to educate me.

update: just found it using search
09-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The chart I saw said the 6D had better low light performance, 2 stops better, and more dynamic range.
You must be mistaken.
There is simply no way the Canon will come close to the Nikon's scores. Just wait and see.
09-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
^They've been dangling that carrot for far too long. A year? I haven't seen any official announcements about that. And so long as that's the case, the Pentax FF will just continue to be vaporware, as it's been for the past few years. Emphasis on the YEARS.
Well, honestly, if Pentax hadn't been taken over by hoya, there would have been a full frame Pentax long ago. Hoya decided it was too risky and scrapped all of the plans that they had been working on.

Who really knows what Ricoh is going to do yet? All we can say is that we have seen more releases and new announcements in the last nine months than in the previous year and a half.
09-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
At the time I got into Pentax, FF cameras were all huge with integrated grips and prohibitively expensive. Pentax had a whole line of smaller DSLRs that were aggressively competitive with the big two at APS-C, with unique tiny primes, so I bought in. Since then Pentax has been relatively paralyzed on that front.

With mirrorless there are now smaller, faster cameras with similar image quality and even smaller, faster lenses. and with the big two DSLR makers, there are now considerable jumps in image quality with reasonable price and size.

Frankly I feel much of Pentax's R&D has been wasted on pet projects like the Q and K-01, and the 645 while good, also distracted them from bringing FF to the consumer.

Pentax had what I wanted when I bought in, with promise and position for more. and it never came. I certainly wouldn't have bought in now - it's a completely new reality that I'm not sure Pentax knows its place in.
And Pentax still has some of the smallest APS-C DSLRs and lenses.
You've got to define what you can really afford and need, perhaps how much you have in Pentax lenses and your patience in waiting (maybe indefinitely) too. No one can do it for you.
A DSLR from Pentax still handles better than any MILC.

Mirrorless may have gotton smaller, but not w/o compromises (eg. form factor; poor lenses for some; AF in some; smaller sensor for some).
DSLR's have slightly cheaper FF now, but they are still not cheap. In fact, they are a bit crippled (though I can live with that) and at prices that their former models were at (ie. 5DII; D700 prices as of now)
Anyone who would jump right away, could have done so too with the cheaper D700 or 5DII just a few months before now.
They are all still rather big BTW.

Wasted effort on the Q?
Certaily untrue.
It is well thought out, and adds unique capabilites to an enthusiasts DSLR system.
Too bad about initial price, feet dragging with the adapter though.