Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Real Issue.

It's not about full frame or not, its not about resolution or print size. It's about survival of the brand.

Nobody wants to ride a lame horse or be part of a loosing team. We all want to be part of a winning team - the best.

What is the probable course for Ricoh Pentax in the next 5 years? Will Ricoh Pentax become an even smaller brand or not? Does Ricoh Pentax have the strategy, stamina and "force" to turn the tide?

Unfortuneately, I don't feel that these questions have been answered at Photokina. That's a concern.

If pentaxians starts to turn their back on the brand, a trickle can become a flood. I rather be part of the trickle than the flood. It's all about timing.

For me that is the real issues.

09-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Failed thread is failing.
09-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

During my interview with PRIC, they showed us some comparison images between the K-5 II and IIs. There's a huge different in print resolution according to their internal tests, and if they forward it to me, I'll be able to publish the material they showed me.

Yes, they need more, but after Photokina I'm actually considering getting the IIs

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam

Ricoh Pentax should actually pay you. You do more to keep the brand alive than they do. :-)

BTW: Thank you so much for a great job with the forum in general and covering the Photokina specifically. :-)

09-20-2012, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Another doom and gloom thread? Just a little over a year ago every body was freaking out wondering if Ricoh would kill off the K mount. As we can see that was not the case with the introduction of several new lenses this year along with three K mount cameras (4 if you count K-5II-s) Just give Ricoh a little more time, I rather see them put out a good quality product than some half ass attempt. In my opinion alot of the people that will end up leaving for a FF will come back once a Pentax FF is built. i'm too drunk to finish typing and my friend is calling me saying that the steaks are done so goodnight, and stop worrying about the future of Pentax.
09-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think Pentax has done the right thing. Build on what they have already. The K5 is a good camera. It would not take that much to make it the best APSC camera money can buy. The main ingrediants are already there. Great body and feel coupled with an outstanding sensor. Far better quality control so buttons do not just drop off etc... Smaller focus sensors so that its actualy usable and sort out the flash control. Look at things like the Honda CBR 600 motorcycle. Its been around for decades with improvements all over on each new model. It is now just biking perfection. Focus and flash ability along with durability is among the top priority for most serious or pro photographers. There can be no question that the K5 2 will be improved, the only question is, have they improved it enough. My fingers are certainly crossed !
09-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
It's not about full frame or not, its not about resolution or print size. It's about survival of the brand.

Nobody wants to ride a lame horse or be part of a loosing team. We all want to be part of a winning team - the best.

What is the probable course for Ricoh Pentax in the next 5 years? Will Ricoh Pentax become an even smaller brand or not? Does Ricoh Pentax have the strategy, stamina and "force" to turn the tide?

Unfortuneately, I don't feel that these questions have been answered at Photokina. That's a concern.

If pentaxians starts to turn their back on the brand, a trickle can become a flood. I rather be part of the trickle than the flood. It's all about timing.

When did Ricoh take over Pentax? And I don't mean when did they agree to the merger. I mean when was it all final and Ricoh's name appear on the Pentax site. Not long ago. It hasn't been more than a few months at best. Takeovers are tough, much less getting all those people used to the old way to be used to the new way (which often means letting people go)...

If next year they don't have things ironed out...then its a time to seriously think about the brand. There is a lot to be done and I would think Ricoh didn't buy Pentax just to shelve it.

In what I read and saw, Pentax was severely mismanaged by its predessors. Give them a chance.

09-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Losing Team???

I WANT A BRAND THAT DOES NOT BANKRUPT ME IN WELL-ROUNDED PURSUIT OF A HOBBY........ I have not time to debate, I have to go to work.
09-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There is only room for one third place camera maker in the US. Fuji, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus, to name a few, are all fighting for the same market. It's gonna be a hard fought war. The other makes have really stepped it up as of late.
09-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think the OP hit the spot. The real issue of Pentax is it's user base.
09-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #11

I think we pentaxians need to take a breath and chill out. Let's look at where we are... Ricoh is a HUGE, well financed company that came in and bought up Pentax from the failing Hoya corp. They could have disolved the company and sold off any assets it had, they didn't. Instead they gave us a lens roadmap, updated the best camera that Pentax makes and finished off the projects that Pentax was developing prior to the hand-over. Ricoh did not become as large as it is by making poor business decisions. They know we want FF, but instead of pumping out some half-baked FF dslr, they are taking the time to make something that rivals Canikon and will hopefully attract pros from other systems as well as meeting our expectations. Give it time, if the FF arrives and it is truly dreadful THEN we can all go ape and jump ship.
09-20-2012, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Adam

Ricoh Pentax should actually pay you. You do more to keep the brand alive than they do. :-)

BTW: Thank you so much for a great job with the forum in general and covering the Photokina specifically. :-)
Frankly, Adam and PF are the ONLY presence in the US (and yes, I know this is an international forum - I love that part). Pentax USA is so much more than a joke its amazing. The CEO lived in California and commuted to the office in Golden Co. Say what?!?! The offices were in Golden Co. Huh?!?! They moved to be in a better position to service the whole country. Where? Ah, Denver???? They have a Sr. somethingorother that embarrasses the company every time he is interviewed. They don't carry even the accessories listed in the manual that accompanies every single new Pentax dSLR. Their sales staff of their online site don't know what they make or when it will be available. They avoid the largest single community of Pentaxians on the planet. How does Pentax treat its loyal customer base that actually buys its lenses beyond those that came in the kit? They raise their prices astronomically in a bad economy and then try to tell us its all good? Then they offer a "rebate" and the prices skyrocket? Huh? Again, this is good for me as a loyal Pentax buyer how? Oh, you tell me I can get the lenses for the old price, ok how. I have to know Adam, read his posts here, and go to the back door, knock three times and tell them that Adam sent me. Get real, that is not how legitimate businesses are run.

Now we have a hot shot from Japan who is going to be the day-to-day COO for Pentax USA under the leadership of the head honcho from Japan. Great. Much anticipation. But so far, this site has been ahead of announcing great stuff from Pentax on EVERY announcement I can recall since I bought my K-x two years ago. I get accurate and timely information here. From Pentax USA I get nothing but inaccuracies, mistakes, or nothing at all.

So, Thank you Adam for doing Pentax USA's job for them. I appreciate it and don't want to see this site be less relevant, but is it too much to ask that the people that are paid to do so actually make some effort to positively represent the brand?
09-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
I think we pentaxians need to take a breath and chill out. Let's look at where we are... Ricoh is a HUGE, well financed company that came in and bought up Pentax from the failing Hoya corp. They could have disolved the company and sold off any assets it had, they didn't. Instead they gave us a lens roadmap, updated the best camera that Pentax makes and finished off the projects that Pentax was developing prior to the hand-over.
Last year Ricoh cut 10 000 jobs, moving 15 000 others to areas with larger growth potential. At the same time they bought Pentax (1 600 employees). So yes, I also reckon they mean business. When Sony bought Minolta six years ago it took some time before things started to happen. Their first Alpha was very much a facelifted Minolta.
09-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think this was very well said and I am with you 100%. This perfectly articulated my thoughts and feelings.
09-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Frankly, Adam and PF are the ONLY presence in the US (and yes, I know this is an international forum - I love that part). Pentax USA is so much more than a joke its amazing. The CEO lived in California and commuted to the office in Golden Co. Say what?!?! The offices were in Golden Co. Huh?!?! They moved to be in a better position to service the whole country. Where? Ah, Denver???? They have a Sr. somethingorother that embarrasses the company every time he is interviewed. They don't carry even the accessories listed in the manual that accompanies every single new Pentax dSLR. Their sales staff of their online site don't know what they make or when it will be available. They avoid the largest single community of Pentaxians on the planet. How does Pentax treat its loyal customer base that actually buys its lenses beyond those that came in the kit? They raise their prices astronomically in a bad economy and then try to tell us its all good? Then they offer a "rebate" and the prices skyrocket? Huh? Again, this is good for me as a loyal Pentax buyer how? Oh, you tell me I can get the lenses for the old price, ok how. I have to know Adam, read his posts here, and go to the back door, knock three times and tell them that Adam sent me. Get real, that is not how legitimate businesses are run.

Now we have a hot shot from Japan who is going to be the day-to-day COO for Pentax USA under the leadership of the head honcho from Japan. Great. Much anticipation. But so far, this site has been ahead of announcing great stuff from Pentax on EVERY announcement I can recall since I bought my K-x two years ago. I get accurate and timely information here. From Pentax USA I get nothing but inaccuracies, mistakes, or nothing at all.

So, Thank you Adam for doing Pentax USA's job for them. I appreciate it and don't want to see this site be less relevant, but is it too much to ask that the people that are paid to do so actually make some effort to positively represent the brand?
I agree! This site sells more Pentax equipment than Pentax's marketing has ever sold as far as I can tell. It's also the best free 'customer service' information source a company could ever wish for. Do a google search about almost anything photography related. It doesn't even have to be directly involving Pentax, and many, if not most times this site is referenced near the top. Years ago, when I bought my first Pentax K100ds, it was this site that opened the door. I would have probably just bought a Canikon because... when buying a DSLR, that's just what you do. I stumbled across this site right away and it opened the door to another option. I've now owned at least 6 Pentax bodies and many lenses as well as Flashes, etc. I would never have even considered Pentax had it not been for information from this site. Thanks!

With that said, these latest announcements, etc have changed my outlook. That, and my photography career is moving forward fast. Because of this, I just bought a new Nikon system. Sorry Pentax. You will be demoted to backup for me. After a few days with my Nikon, I couldn't be happier and will not be returning it. I'm now moving forward fast and need equipment that will keep up. However, I will still keep one of my Pentax bodies... for now.