Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In my un-educated opinion, I suspect the amount (or degree) of moire produced by the K-5IIs will probably vary from the D800e, simply due to the different MP of the cameras, their different pixel density, and the different mechanical means by which Pentax and Nikon may have taken to get the AA filter out of the picture.

On a positive note, from what Falk Lumo wrote of the D800 vs the D800e, though, it doesn't sound like moire will be an everyday issue:

On a less positive note, Falk does say that there really isn't much of a practical resolution difference to be found between the D800 and the D800e. The same may apply to the K-5 II and K-5 IIs.
Falk says that you can sharpen a photo taken on a camera with an AA filter to the point where it is a sharp as a camera without an AA filter would take in the first place, but my experience is that you end up running into sharpening artifacts about the time you get there, where as the AA filter-less camera looks sharper, but more natural.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-22-2012 at 06:06 AM.
09-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I just compared the D800 vs D800E [20MB each!] image samples found in the Imaging Resource Comparometer and it was hard to see any moire happening with the D800E. Specifically looking at, for example the 'Still Life 1600' image, none of the fabric swatches appear to have any issues at all.

But it was evident even in these JPG's that the D800E was resolving detail better everywhere. Promising.