Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
last I checked we WERE the marketing department in a number of countries including the USA.
PentaxForums can certainly take the credit for a Pentax being my first DSLR.

09-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Speaking of Samsung,
Have you all seen this Samsung Galaxy SIII Television Ad making fun of iphone5 buyers ???

The Next Big Thing is Already Here -- Samsung Galaxy S III - YouTube
I hope you're not suggesting that Pentax should be as unethical as Samsung is being with this campaign. This technique of denigrating users of other products is hardly new (I can think back to at least the 1980s for TV campaigns) and Pentax users have copped more than their fair share of the more insidious unofficial negative campaigning (like Apple has, too: "why don't you get a real computer/camera?"). I should have thought the "Do unto others" rule might be the proper response in both cases.
09-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I hope you're not suggesting that Pentax should be as unethical as Samsung is being with this campaign. This technique of denigrating users of other products is hardly new (I can think back to at least the 1980s for TV campaigns) and Pentax users have copped more than their fair share of the more insidious unofficial negative campaigning (like Apple has, too: "why don't you get a real computer/camera?"). I should have thought the "Do unto others" rule might be the proper response in both cases.
I think he was more so referencing the horrid marketing that Samsung has because Pentax's marketing is being called into question.
09-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Maybe they are waiting on us, last I checked we WERE the marketing department in a number of countries including the USA.
This site chases away as many as it brings in.
Too many smartie theories, "my 1st DSLR was the best" old dinosaurs and FF turn coats lingering here due to lax moderation.

At times I prefer the simplicity of Canikon fanboism.
Ask a question in Canikon forums and the reply is the typically :
"Just get "XXX" "(with XXX being said Canikon lens or camera), "once you try you won't look back"

09-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the K5II will not have focus peaking correct?
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You are correct, no focus peaking on the Mk. II K-5's.

No, the K5II will have focus peaking! I asked at photokina yesterday and the Pentax guy said, that the final K5II will have it.
09-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
No, the K5II will have focus peaking! I asked at photokina yesterday and the Pentax guy said, that the final K5II will have it.
That is inconsistent with what I believe we have already been told, so I would need to see it in writing from Pentax or have a report on actual operation of a Mk.II Camera to believe it. I do not disbelieve you but all too often the various clerks and others with Pentax have just been wrong about their products.
09-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That is inconsistent with what I believe we have already been told, so I would need to see it in writing from Pentax or have a report on actual operation of a Mk.II Camera to believe it. I do not disbelieve you but all too often the various clerks and others with Pentax have just been wrong about their products.
I understand your point and I agree with you. I just repeated what I have been told by the Pentax rep. And apparently I am not the only one who was told so, because there are similar statements on german forums.

09-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
I understand your point and I agree with you. I just repeated what I have been told by the Pentax rep. And apparently I am not the only one who was told so, because there are similar statements on german forums.
I genuinely hope that this information is correct, I am just being cautious. Focus Peaking is one of the things I really liked about the K-30 when I tried it. If the K-5 Mk. IIs has all the added AF gains, no AA filter, and has Focus Peaking that makes it much more attractive to me. I will wait to see a user report or a demonstration of that feature. Thanks.

I've reviewed both the Pentax Japan and USA sites. The USA site has both the II and IIs listed and has full spec sheets on them. If you read the K-30 spec sheet it says, under Focusing, "Focus Peaking: Yes" and goes on to say not when in video. If you look at the II and IIs spec sheets there is no mention at all of Focus Peaking (which is just how the original K-5 is listed) but they do indicate the new SAFOX X as opposed to the old SAFOX IX+ for the original K-5. This doesn't bode well for them having focus peaking.

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-24-2012 at 10:02 AM.
09-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
JFN
Veteran Member

It's not denigrating others, it's a statement of positioning saying that the iPhone is old (and it is, iPhone 5, come on, how creative is that...) the technology/features are old (and so they are...), and only old uncool people use iPhone (most 18+ " kids in my circuit of friends, ie. friends kids, use Samsung, and thinks that iPhone is not so fun...) .. ie. "Samsung is for people who wants to be in the fore-front"....

Apple did the same some time ago, remember, "I'm a mac, and I'm a PC".. it had nothing to do with making fun of people using windows, it was a way of telling people "Using a computer does not have to be dull".

The communication is nicely embedded into things people can grasp, new features, simplicity in usage, etc. but the "hidden" message, will come through anyway... remember pepsi... "The choice of the new generation"... (ie. "you dont drink that ol conservative and boring coke ya grandpa was drinking do ya?"...

Positioning...
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Oh dear... I use a PC, drive a Ford, shoot Pentax and just "upgraded" my WindowsMobile phone to an iPhone... I just realized that I'm the least cool person I know. I am tragically unhip... If those companies had better marketing, I could be cool and feel better about myself. ;-)
09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
It's not denigrating others, it's a statement of positioning saying that the iPhone is old (and it is, iPhone 5, come on, how creative is that...) the technology/features are old (and so they are...), and only old uncool people use iPhone (most 18+ " kids in my circuit of friends, ie. friends kids, use Samsung, and thinks that iPhone is not so fun...) .. ie. "Samsung is for people who wants to be in the fore-front"....

Apple did the same some time ago, remember, "I'm a mac, and I'm a PC".. it had nothing to do with making fun of people using windows, it was a way of telling people "Using a computer does not have to be dull".

The communication is nicely embedded into things people can grasp, new features, simplicity in usage, etc. but the "hidden" message, will come through anyway... remember pepsi... "The choice of the new generation"... (ie. "you dont drink that ol conservative and boring coke ya grandpa was drinking do ya?"...

Positioning...
I see. Telling someone they're old and uncool isn't actually denigrating them, it's just positioning. Like I said, it's been used on TV advertising, back to the 1980s.

There's a better word than "positioning" to describe this type of empty comparison: "spin".
09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
JFN
Veteran Member

There's a better word than "positioning" to describe this type of empty comparison: "spin".
That's indeed a part of it...