Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 06:00 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photokina, Groundbreaking things from Pentax and BAD marketing.

Epigraph

Photokina 2012

Oh, god, poor Pentax. They invented the SLR, though you would never know it. Their cameras have always been excellent. Their lenses have always been excellent. Their marketing? Face-palm! Pentax had but a fraction of the physical presence of the other major makers, and nothing to push their innovative products. The foremost of these is the K-5IIs, which, hugely, looses the dreaded Anti-aliasing filter. This is the first APS-C sized camera to take that brave step, following in the D800E’s lead. This is potentially a big deal, but I could barely get anyone to even explain it to me. Ugh.

I do, however, hope to have Pentax’s superb western Canadian rep, Bill Gouge, get me one to test, because landscape photographers should be seriously interested in this camera. If they ever hear of it.

Dear Pentaxian, let's pay attention at the positive side of Photokina announcements that hard to mention.
NO ANY serious advertising, NO ANY SERIOUS marketing actions, NO ANY LOUD VOICE of Pentax representatives...

1. HD PENTAX D FA 645 MACRO 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR - it's first in the world stabilized lens for DIGITAL MEDIUM FORMAT.
All new planned on 2013 year 645 zooms will be with SR system. It's the pride of Pentax Ricoh engineers.

2. HD Coating, - this coating means - Pentax plan to develop cameras with much higher MP.
PENTAX - PENTAX Announces Exclusive HD Coating Technology

a newly developed, high grade multi-layer lens coating , which offers higher light transmittance with reduced reflection, to deliver sharp, clear images free of flare and ghosting, even under demanding lighting conditions such as backlight

3. K-5II - has first AF system for Pentax DSLR with EV-3 (LX had EV-6, Canon 6D has the same system in FF camera with higher price).
By the way, it's only one APS-C camera in the world with such sensitivity.

4. K-5IIs - the first in the world APS-C Bayer camera WITHOUT AA filter (not with very weak filter (there are such cameras), but without AA filter at all).

Not groundbreaking, but important
5. Focus peaking in Pentax cameras. For the first time. Really works and really helps.

Me and you can say - not too much..But Ricoh bought Pentax only 1 year ago...

P.S. Adam made OUTSTANDING work! Pay attention - it was the FIRST OFFICIAL SERIOUS MEETING between Pentaxians and Top-Managgers of Pentax Ricoh for the last....5, 6, 7 years...??? Or maybe all meetings were semi-official and very short before....

Last edited by ogl; 09-23-2012 at 06:24 AM.
09-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You are hired!!!!!!!!
09-23-2012, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Somebody needs to be hired, that's certain.

No live wet box for Pentax's WR cameras at Photokina? Seriously, no one thought to have a little box the simulated rain for the K-30? Seriously?

How about a big box with simulated rain and a girl using a K-30+18-135 in the box?

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-23-2012 at 06:37 AM.
09-23-2012, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
You are hired!!!!!!!!
Me? It's brave allegation....

09-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's brave allegation....
it's not alllegation it's tourniquet and responsibility!!! )))
09-23-2012, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Taken with a hidden camera in the marketing department...
09-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
lol ;-)

09-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Taken with a hidden camera in the marketing department...
I hope that, at least, the hidden camera was a Pentax.
09-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the K5II will not have focus peaking correct?
09-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the K5II will not have focus peaking correct?
You are correct, no focus peaking on the Mk. II K-5's.
09-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe we got Face Palm this year because we expected a lot from P-R (Rumors). Nevertheless, P-R is still committed to serving us better and 4 cameras is just enough for the rest of us. I believe not all Pentaxians have enough dough to buy a FF DSLR. I for one will skip it if it ever comes out, i will wait a year or so for 2nd hand one if ever i decide to go FF.... As for now my K-5 is still serving me better. Besides if i have that money, I'll spend it setting up my condo. =)
09-23-2012, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Maybe we got Face Palm this year because we expected a lot from P-R (Rumors). Nevertheless, P-R is still committed to serving us better and 4 cameras is just enough for the rest of us. I believe not all Pentaxians have enough dough to buy a FF DSLR. I for one will skip it if it ever comes out, i will wait a year or so for 2nd hand one if ever i decide to go FF.... As for now my K-5 is still serving me better. Besides if i have that money, I'll spend it setting up my condo. =)
I'm not complaining, and this thread isn't really about, the limited releases from Pentax this year at Photokina. It is about them not really effectively marketing their products, with the possible exception of within Japan itself.

The example I gave is a rather straightforward one - why no live water displays of the WR nature of the cameras & lenses at the booth?
09-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Maybe they tried that in the past, and it didn't really work? Maybe they're preparing for an extensive marketing campaign, which will be started together with some other, new products?
IMO their presence at this Photokina was better than 2 years from now, even with the lacking mini-jungle/mini-desert displays (which by the way attracted way less attention than the small toy-cameras). For the next edition, I'd like them to concentrate on a "pure imaging company" theme. I don't care much about stuffed birds or jungles, but an exquisite photo gallery made by the best Pentaxians would be neat (please, Pentax, be very exigent when selecting the photographs - with all due respect for the ones on display now; make it world class).

OTOH, there were companies with a huge stand but nothing to show; e.g. Samsung. Wait, they had some sort of a smartphone, but with the GSM functions disabled and a lens attached to it. And a bigger Galaxy Note. That would be good marketing?
09-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe they are waiting on us, last I checked we WERE the marketing department in a number of countries including the USA.

I think Pentax tends to over estimate the technical ability of those they are selling to. Ever seen what a normal person thinks when they see a colored WR Pentax camera with a WR kit lens? How many people (I am avoiding being sexist here) choose a car based purely on the color and have no clue even how many cylinders the engine has? If the whole Japanese K30 color selection wasn't lined up on the counter at Photokina they are indeed idiots. And yes the WR angle shoulda been pushed. The AA filter removal is a solution to a problem most had no idea even existed, and those who would care already know about it for the most part.
09-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Speaking of Samsung,
Have you all seen this Samsung Galaxy SIII Television Ad making fun of iphone5 buyers ???