Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"ALMOST 30 years..." John Carlson

I was just reading dpreview's interview with John Carlson from Photokina, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed... but he either needs history lessons or maths lessons:

"...but then there's the heritage of the K-mount, which has been around for almost 30 years."

I am not a camera history nerd, but I was pretty sure I had a lens older than that, so according to Wikipedia, "It (K-mount) was created by Pentax in 1975."

I make that to be 37 years. At that point, I would think "almost FORTY years" would be a more appropriate approximation.

09-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Noticed that myself, but I imagine they meant A lenses, where you don't need stop-down metering. Either that, or like any company, did a poor job screening the knowledge of spokespeople before letting them loose.
09-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another JC mis-speak. How boring, add it to the list.
09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
I was just reading dpreview's interview with John Carlson from Photokina, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed... but he either needs history lessons or maths lessons:

"...but then there's the heritage of the K-mount, which has been around for almost 30 years."

I am not a camera history nerd, but I was pretty sure I had a lens older than that, so according to Wikipedia, "It (K-mount) was created by Pentax in 1975."

I make that to be 37 years. At that point, I would think "almost FORTY years" would be a more appropriate approximation.
He was probably referring to the AF heritage of the mount, which is less than 30 years old (KAF is used since around 1987 - same period Canon introduced the EF mount).

09-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well he should have said that then, shouldn't he. If you say "K mount" you mean... K mount.
37 years old.
09-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

He needs to take up a course in marketing