Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lula's take on Pentax at Photokina

Luminous Landscapes Nick Devlin's take on Pentax at Photokina:

"Oh, god, poor Pentax. They invented the SLR, though you would never know it. Their cameras have always been excellent. Their lenses have always been excellent. Their marketing? Face-palm! Pentax had but a fraction of the physical presence of the other major makers, and nothing to push their innovative products. The foremost of these is the K-5IIs, which, hugely, looses the dreaded Anti-aliasing filter. This is the first APS-C sized camera to take that brave step, following in the D800E’s lead. This is potentially a big deal, but I could barely get anyone to even explain it to me. Ugh."

I do, however, hope to have Pentax’s superb western Canadian rep, Bill Gouge, get me one to test, because landscape photographers should be seriously interested in this camera. If they ever hear of it."

My emphasis.

Photokina 2012

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/96946-one-stop...-listings.html

09-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax could remedy this to a great extent by writing a couple of white papers, telling us all about it - tell us why, and show us - do a YouTube video also. Get their engineers to put pen to paper, especially as the final software is rolled out. Take some images and do a comparison - then write about it - both the good and bad. Show illustration where it is not an advantage, so that we can stay away from them, or go ahead and take them and remove the problems in post processing. Find a good technical marketing firm, and have THEM translate it, and lay it out. Double check everything - make no mistakes, peer review the paper internally. Get it perfect, and release it coincident with the camera being delivered. One paper on the advantages of the sensor with out AA, and one paper on post processing with out AA on the sensor - how to adjust with out it in the various situations. Heck, make it a joint paper with Adobe.

Snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Make lemonade from the usual lemons.

Get the country managers together who have taken a step forward, and get their input. Figure out a way forward - then execute.

Also, get with sites like Luminous Landscapes and jointly put together a presentation now, so that its available on line with the availability of the camera. Think out of the box - please!

09-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
because landscape photographers should be seriously interested in this camera.
Yes, I suppose landscape photographers should be thrilled by this, but they are distracted by the throught of their WA lenses getting cropped by 1.5x
09-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Yes, I suppose landscape photographers should be thrilled by this, but they are distracted by the throught of their WA lenses getting cropped by 1.5x
The only current Pentax WA lens that actually is "cropped" by an APS-C sensor is the FA31, so your comment is not really relevant.

09-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Um not really, a lot of landscapers have been using aps-c with tele lenses, panning heads, shot in portrait and than stitched together for super high detail shots, especially with no aa filter
09-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
This is potentially a big deal
How can it potentially be a big deal?
It either is or is not (as in "either the AA filter is present or it is not").

In any event, it is not a big deal at all. AA filters are built into cameras for a reason. Only if you are shooting in very controlled circumstances or are willing to manually manipulate images (sometimes not being able to restore image areas despite time consuming retouching) then losing an AA filter makes sense.
09-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I doubt most landscapes show a lot of moiré.
Some do for sure, but that many?
09-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The only current Pentax WA lens that actually is "cropped" by an APS-C sensor is the FA31,......
Now you knocked me down ! Why is the 31 the only one that's cropped? Please explain!!

09-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Now you knocked me down ! Why is the 31 the only one that's cropped? Please explain!!
It's the only one with a large enough image circle to cover an FF sensor.

Last edited by Blue; 09-24-2012 at 08:44 AM.
09-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
It's the only wide angle lens in Pentax current lineup that's supposed to support anything larger than APS-C, isn't it (at least if we disregard the DA35 and FA35 (appears still to be on sale in Japan))?
09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Missed the point

Perhaps Pentax not making a big deal about it when they should be is what Mr. Devlin is referring to?

Translation over and out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
How can it potentially be a big deal?
It either is or is not (as in "either the AA filter is present or it is not").

In any event, it is not a big deal at all. AA filters are built into cameras for a reason. Only if you are shooting in very controlled circumstances or are willing to manually manipulate images (sometimes not being able to restore image areas despite time consuming retouching) then losing an AA filter makes sense.
09-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

A 31mm lens designed for ff and one designed for aps-c wold have the same FOV on aps-c. The aps-c 31mm (if one existed) may not cover ff.
09-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Luminous Landscapes Nick Devlin's take on Pentax at Photokina Quote

"looses the dreaded Anti-aliasing filter. This is the first APS-C sized camera to take that brave step, following in the D800E’s lead. "

I've been using the GXR Mount A12 for a year now. It's been APS-C and non-AA all that time as far as I'm aware..

PS. I don't have the GXR A16 Zoom which has been around for six months now, but I understand that also is both APSC and non-AA.

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 09-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.
09-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The only current Pentax WA lens that actually is "cropped" by an APS-C sensor is the FA31, so your comment is not really relevant.
Pentax has been kept afloat partly by the ability of their bodies to function with older lenses, as such many Pentax shooters have a collection of older lenses that do get cropped. Even if its "only" the fa31, I am most distracted and distraught at the thought of it being cropped. The thought of the FA20 and Sigma14 being cropped drives me to despair.
09-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But the issue with WA is the effective focal length. If I take an image at 16mm with the 16-50, it does not show as wide as 16 would on FF with a 16mm FF lens...even though the 16-50 lens is designed for aps-c. Of course, there are ways around it and aps-c lenses have been developed to cover tbut any of the same angles as FF, but most people would still consider the image "cropped" when you take a pic with a DA lens because you are seeing less of the scene than you would have on a 35mm camera.