Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #1

What I would REALLY like to see from Pentax...

Reading this forum one makes a very false assumption, that the only thing Pentax users want is a FF camera.

But I am saying to you, people, most of us including me couldn't care less. Most of the DSLR users these days are occasional amateur photographers with a very, very limited budgets. And remember, US with their comparatively cheap prices is not the only market. European and other markets sell photo gear for much higher prices than in US. So the FF camera for most people in the world would end up a very big expense, that our wives (and husbands) would not let us to spend Throw into the shopping cart a bunch of lenses for FF and we are talking about a fortune...

So, I think that current Pentax stand of having APS-C for normal people and 645D for professionals - is a good one. If you are a professional with thousands of dollars to spend, push Pentax to make more varieties of 645D and lenses for it and leave APS consumer market to us, poor people.

What I would really like to see from Pentax is the following:

1. More consumer grade quality lenses: 35/f2.4 and 50/f1.8 are the good start, but seriously it is far from enough. And make them all WR, for god sake. So that people, who are planning to buy K-30 would know that their money is well spent. I don't understand why all new consumer lenses from Pentax are not WR including latest 18-270mm.
Just take a look for Canon lenses on B&H: 50mm/f1.8 EF II - 104$ , 85mm/f1.8 USM - 369$. Those are the kind of prices that I'd like to see for the Pentax gear. And don't give me that crap about their inferior image quality. I am 100% certain that their quality is good enough for most of us, who don't want to spend more than a grand for DA* lens with a faulty SDM motor...
Those cheaper lenses are one of the main reasons why everyone and his girlfriend buys Canikon gear nowadays: you can get a prime lens to upgrade your kit for 100 dollars

2. Better marketing and distribution policies. In my country, for example, Pentax is officially distributed by the same company, that distributes Canon cameras. So you can imagine, how much interest they have in promoting and selling Pentax gear. K-30 body only costs here 1200$US, which is outrageous, and you only can buy it by special order. The same goes for lenses as well. So I am limited for international online shopping and ebaying

3. And if talking about sensor sizes, there are much better alternatives for FF IMHO
I'd like to see a square sensor, that can accommodate DA-sized circle. The production costs for such sensor would not be that much different from APS-C ones and body integration would be easy as well, but advantages would be huge: No need for orientation changes, maximizing use of optical capabilities of the lenses etc.

just my 5 cents

Last edited by borish; 09-24-2012 at 02:34 AM.
09-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hear, hear!

I agree completely and hope that Ricoh take note of ALL Pentax users, not just those from the US.

Cameras are tools, and you buy what you want/need when you want/need it, so if you want/need FF then go buy from Canon, Nikon or Sony. Please don't keep whining about it on here.

As to lens prices and WR, yes there should be a range of well priced consumer lenses, but do these value lenses from other marques include WR?

Given the huge number of Pentaxians with DA glass, I hope that when PRIC bring out a FF camera it will have the facility to crop in-camera to enable use of DA glass without vignetting.

I'm not at all clear as to why manufacturing a FF camera is so difficult? Surely 'all' PRIC need to do is upscale the K-5 and include a bigger sensor and faster processor; just look at what BMW has done with their cars - they're like Russian dolls!

Last edited by JohnX; 09-24-2012 at 03:42 AM.
09-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Well, there was enough threads about this, but there's my list:

1. Smaller AF points.
2. Faster AF.
3. Upgraded versions of FA Ltd. (maybe DA* 31mm f1.8, DA* 43mm f1.9, DA* 77mm f1.8/DA* 85mm f1.4).
09-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
WR - is something that makes Pentax stand out. So if they want to be really different, they can make their whole range of lenses and cameras include cheaper consumer grade WR.
This will be an added value for all those looking for a new DSLR. Also it is great for marketing: when you are in the middle of the rainy season on your vacation and take out your camera without hesitation, this will certainly get attention.

09-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #5

My wishlist is just x1.0 adapter with built in leaf shutter for those 1/1000 x-syncs!
09-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
bxf
Pentaxian

I suspect it's safe to assume that even if every single FF proponent here were to buy a Pentax FF if one appeared now, it would have very little impact on Pentax's financial welfare. FF cannot be considered any company's bread and butter product. Although admittedly C&N have a significant pool of pro users, I suspect that the biggest benefit these pros provide is to make every purchaser of a consumer grade C/N believe they are buying the best.

Pentax needs to have a product that will significantly increase its market share, and an FF is not that product at this time. Give me a K-5 sized camera with improved AF (including smaller AF points), reduced noise, and cutting edge flash performance, and I'd jump for it. Sure, if you can fit an FF sensor while you're at it, that would be even better (but I want a small body, AND I want to be able to use my DA lenses), but it is not essential. For the vast majority, APS-C yields more than sufficient IQ.
09-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I agree then i would add that none of my customers asked me if i was working with a ff, an aps-c or a medium ... then don't matter in fact, what they expect from me is having results, high quality pictures they enjoy ... No matter for them if taken with ff or not ... As a pro photographer i put the pressure on myself, alone ... if needed big size pictures with extreme quality, 645d is a good friend, buying it or just renting for special service ... for the rest, k5 is a pleasure to work with but objectively what i would like to see, not talking again about more lenses are :

- A much much much more accurate AF, no matter if staying in 11 points but smaller ones and more precise ! ===>>> let's wait some test for the new k5 II !
- A new sensor, no matter if aps-c or not, no matter if 16 Mp ore more, but still better in high iso
- A new grip, smaller, with integrated wi-fi !
- A NEW SOFTWARE Lightroom like, dedicated to Pentax wich will have ability to read camera settings like my personnal parameters for neutral in raw !!!!!!!!! and wich would communicate with it is for me IMPORTANT ! The actual one is a real joke !
- New Battery with more and more accuracy !
- Better quality control, not to see butons jumping, miror double flipping ... and such smal details that deserves !
- More functions avalable on setting butons ! would like the raw one to be able to control some elements like menu C 1-6 ore some others !!!
- Double card slot !
- A new model of eye piece (like the 1,2x in design) but with an integrated "mask" for availability to not having to cary those little pieces that i lost every times !
- A new mode, giving me the possibility to put in the camera my own curves
- Advanced flash feathure and control
- Replacing battery metter with a % one ... ?
- A x 1,4 f 2.8 converter all lens compatibility
- A mettering system that will be real time when C1-6 is on ! not giving the real mesure when map is done ( actualy he gives the mesure like with c1-6 off, then when map is done it gives a new mesure ... why not having the good one in real time directly when c1-6 is on ? )
- More settings for burst mode ...
- Keeping the iso program mode with its options but adding a min shutter speed one ...
- Avalability to lock aperture and speed wheels

About full frame, no mater for me but will be good for more control ... i prefer wainting a very good Pentax one, with full possibility like using like nikon makes all lenses... i prefer wainting one or two year when lens park will be adapted than having one right now, not complete and without good lenses ... it's not as urgent as my actual system satisfied my customers ...

- Ending ... A REAL PRO CUSTOMER SERVICE with camera lending when mine is off !!!!! when i tried a year canon and nikon systems, i was olding pro cards, if my camera broke, showing the card to the center, they were lending me a camera when possible to not stopping me working for 3 weeks ore more !!! ... a real service ! ...
09-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I'd like to see a square sensor, that can accommodate DA-sized circle. The production costs for such sensor would not be that much different from APS-C ones and body integration would be easy as well, but advantages would be huge:
Production cost for a square APS-C sensor would cost more than a FF sensor since there is 100x more demand for a FF sensor than a square APS-C sensor.

09-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Pentax needs to have a product that will significantly increase its market share, and an FF is not that product at this time.
So what about K-01 and Q/Q10 ? Do they increase market share?Oh, right - it's a confidential information

Maybe FF will not increase Pentax market share, but it will help to keep current users sticked to this brand for sure.
09-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by borish Quote
1. More consumer grade quality lenses: 35/f2.4 and 50/f1.8 are the good start, but seriously it is far from enough. And make them all WR, for god sake. So that people, who are planning to buy K-30 would know that their money is well spent. I don't understand why all new consumer lenses from Pentax are not WR including latest 18-270mm.
Just take a look for Canon lenses on B&H: 50mm/f1.8 EF II - 104$ , 85mm/f1.8 USM - 369$. Those are the kind of prices that I'd like to see for the Pentax gear. And don't give me that crap about their inferior image quality. I am 100% certain that their quality is good enough for most of us, who don't want to spend more than a grand for DA* lens with a faulty SDM motor...
I'm not sure it would be possible to make the lenses cheap and WR, but if they were WR people might be happier to pay the prices Pentax is currently charging for it's supposed 'budget' lenses.
09-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kavolis Quote
So what about K-01 and Q/Q10 ? Do they increase market share?
I'd guess these were released with the expectation that they would increase market share, since consumer grade products generally accomplish this objective. This is not to say that all such expectations always turn out to be accurate.

Last edited by bxf; 09-24-2012 at 05:59 AM.
09-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I really would like to see from Pentax:
  • Smaller AF areas.
  • Tethering (through WiFi and cable-based, if the latter is faster).
  • An acceptable distributor for New Zealand. The current NZ distributor is killing the Pentax brand. Furthermore, NZ prices can be outrageously high.
  • No inflated lens prices (Pentax USA MSRP disaster). If there must be high margins, they should at least go to Pentax, rather than box shifters. Why should B&H earn $800 by just moving a box? They don't even want to because at these prices no one is buying Pentax lenses anymore.
  • Better quality control. Please no more lens release buttons falling off and no more IQ affecting wobbling barrels with FA 31/1.8 copies. The latter lens is not cheap at all and the quality control should reflect that.
  • An FF camera.
09-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Production cost for a square APS-C sensor would cost more than a FF sensor since there is 100x more demand for a FF sensor than a square APS-C sensor.
Wrong.

The price of the sensor is mostly relative to it's size i.e. how many sensors can come out of a single silicon wafer without bad pixels.
Since the area of DA-circle compatible square sensor is roughly the same as APS-C sensor, the production price would be the same.
09-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread was moved to general photography and industry because it isn't News or Rumor.