Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #31
Pentaxian

FF is still far, far too expensive to become mainstream. Prices will take a very long time to fall, if they ever do. This is because manufacturers are extremely few and interested in keeping prices high, and because megapixels will continue to rise. A FF sensor with 10MP could surely be built relatively cheaply now, and would satisfy a lot of people, but that is not in the manufacturers' interests. Instead, they build a 24 or 36 MP sensor with a much higher price and restrict it to expensive professional models.

Image is important too. No-one wants to be the company that brings out the budget FF with a paltry 10MP, even if it had amazing DR & IQ.

10-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Before aquiring my 5D I used to rent the mark III. Same thing, my computer took longer to process the photos. But the difference in IQ is was not THAT impressive. It's there, absolutely, but absolutely not worth the extra $$$$ for such a small gain. Or maybe I'm just very spoiled by the excellent performance of my K5?
yeah i find it hard to imagine that two generations of sensor and 10MP (on FF no less) later the image quality of the original 5D and the 5DmkIII seven years apart would qualify as the "same". i have no love for Canon sensors though, if you love your K5, try renting a D600 or D800, where it's our same beloved K5 sensor only multiplied by two...

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Really? That is the reason I bought into Pentax in the first place. They were different, I could continue being a black sheep. If they ever do issue a FF, I surely hope is very much unlike the competitors cameras.
So do I. I bought into Pentax for similar reasons, and want their take on FF. if FF was the only thing I was after I would've gone to Nikon long ago, like many are tragically doing now.
10-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

Gigapixels or go home.
10-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
...if FF was the only thing I was after I would've gone to Nikon long ago, like many are tragically doing now.
I'm not sure how many people are really going FF...so I don't see it as "tragic". Granted, it's a small sample, but in our camera club of 100+ shooters, only 2 are using FF cameras.

10-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm not sure how many people are really going FF...so I don't see it as "tragic". Granted, it's a small sample, but in our camera club of 100+ shooters, only 2 are using FF cameras.
the new FF cameras just became available. see how much it grows by in a couple months time. it takes time to switch
10-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #36
Pentaxian

the new FF cameras just became available. see how much it grows by in a couple months time. it takes time to switch
Things could change...but I don't expect it to. The price of even the least expensive FF camera is a heck of a lot for most people to spend on a hobby. Some will pay the price, but most won't.
10-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Things could change...but I don't expect it to. The price of even the least expensive FF camera is a heck of a lot for most people to spend on a hobby. Some will pay the price, but most won't.
have you seen any new advanced mirrorless in your group yet or talk of it?

10-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
Pentaxian

have you seen any new advanced mirrorless in your group yet or talk of it?
No...my wife and I are the only ones using mirrorless. But then again, besides one other person, we're also the only ones still shooting Pentax. LOL
10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll throw my 2c in.
I'm excited about the mass exodus to full frame. More DX lenses for me!
Also, I just today, did a raw conversion of a baseball hat on wooden table. I pixel peeped it until I was looking at the fibers of the stitching. I measured the lettering and crunched the numbers in my head. I could easily blow this image up 6' across!
I don't even have enough wall space in my house for a poster that big!
Incidentally, I'm talking about a capture from my 10 year old S2 pro which has a native res of 6.2 megapixels.
This whole fantasy of FF being the end all be all is very funny to me!