Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 12:18 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Pentax LXd / Sony A99 - better than D600 - which is already very very good.

This is my humble experience.

I bought a D600 last week. I really like it.

Shooting with something that focuses properly virtually all the time, and offers me a big crisp view of the scene, is an absolute pleasure. The K5 is great, but it has let me down on a number of occasions with poor performance (back focusing under tungsten, register distance internal miscalculations / miscalibration). Nikon doesn't make a 31mm, 43mm, or a 77mm though... (or anything remotely like them... their equivalent lenses are much larger and made out of polycarbonate... which isn't as an absolute rule a bad thing... just different).

I am convinced that Pentax will be bringing a camera with a version of this sensor to market in the new year because, as you know:

-the Verge speaks the gospel truth - and FF is the new megapixel,

-it is clear to see the shift in the market, for whatever reason (informed or not) - people trend to wanting FF rather than APS. I know that is true for me, as I started on film - it is nice to have the full reach of wide angle, better dof control (though, this is somewhat less important to some... for me it is a nicety, not a necessity), and larger photosites. It has a ~12mpx dx crop, so anyone who harkens the advantage of APS for tele, I think that argument is somewhat moot.

-Falk had it right all along, there is no reason that FF hasn't hit the average consumer market sooner, except for the fact that the separation of FF and APS was an arbitrary tool used to incentivize and delineate pro level gear (I can appreciate that there is a marginally increased cost to the production of a FF sensor as compared to APS - and I say marginal because that is the case over the long term. If the sensor costs 400 dollars, which is being very generous, then a FF sensor costs 800 dollars. The associated elects and other components are not subject to the same cost/size constraints, and therefore should not increase the price of a FF camera much beyond that 400 dollars... If you disagree.. that is fine, yes lenses are more expensive.)... This leads me to believe... that FF is going to phase out APS, at least in some levels of the market. The shift is already happening. I truly believe that APS is not going to remain a huge factor in pro-sumer DSLR's for much of the next 10 years.

-Ricoh Pentax have said they want to be a player in the pro game.

-Pentax has a history of using sensors that Sony makes for Nikon, and puts into their own cameras. The a99 supports such a move.

Summary
People want FF, and FF is economically feasible. Pentax Ricoh want to be a player, therefore must release FF.

I am likewise convinced that this new Pentax will prove better image quality than the D600. Why?

As it sits, the D600 makes images with almost exactly the same characteristics (DR, Noise, Per Pixel Resolution) as those of a D800 - (of course with less pixels). I think Nikon has intentionally hamstrung the sensor output to reduce the sales hit to the D800. I really believe that this sensor has more potential than Nikon is giving it permission to deliver (Why?.. larger photosites, newer process, compared to D800... which I do not feel are dismissible contrivances).

Pentax doesn't have D800 sales to protect, and will max the quality of the sensor's output. I have a feeling that Sony (also with no reason to protect D800 sales) will with their A99 surpass the D600 from an image quality perspective (though, maybe some deficit because doesn't it lose a stop to the semi-transparent mirror?). Further, Pentax has a history of subtly beating those who use the same sensor tech. Maybe not by a mile.

09-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

duck.

but to add to this, Fuji successfully launched an entirely new system with only three prime lenses.

three focal lengths that Pentax has in production for FF already.

Last edited by illdefined; 09-29-2012 at 01:01 PM.
09-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I'd like to see a full frame sensor put in a Ricoh-Pentax GXR module, particularly a M mount camera module, giving existing GXR A12 Mount (M Mount) users an upgrade path that many will follow.

Suddenly by doing so Ricoh has a camera competitive feature wise with the Leica M9 and M. Add in a 35mm "lensor" module for GXR and the system competes well with the Sony RX1.
09-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Simply by having an APS-C K-Mount GXR module, or entirely new mirrorless in the same ergonomic vein as the GXR (and not a K-02) with an EVF, gets Pentax in the real mirrorless game with its current DA Lenses.

An FF anything would put Pentax back in the prestige photo game, with its current FA Limited lenses and FF glass patents.

Pentax needs to get back in the game.

09-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
ahh yeah. thats right.

Last edited by spade111; 09-29-2012 at 01:32 PM.
09-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
to add to this, Fuji successfully launched an entirely new system with only three prime lenses.

The X series of cameras were successful because of a few things including retro looks, the optical / hybrid finder in the X100/X Pro 1 certainly can't be overlooked, and the form factor - small (ok the X Pro is more small-medium).

If an existing SLR / DSLR lens family is used, you automatically add 20 - 25mm to the backfocal distance of a typical compact. That additional depth over something like the X Pro 1 or the NEX cameras adds up and you end up with a more boxy body like the K-01.

While I can see going with an existing lens line up for expediency, maybe a longer term view would suggest that redesigning a core set of excellent primes for performance on a new mount, one with a short back focal distance, is worthwhile doing from a competitive perspective not to mention giving users what they want: very capable digital cameras in compact bodies supported by excellent optics.

Ok, not everyone wants those things but buyers of NEX and X Pro and X100 and X-E1 and the Ricoh GXR certainly do.

Looking forward to seeing that Ricoh/Pentax come up with.
09-30-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet another blah blah FF thread.
09-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
duck.

but to add to this, Fuji successfully launched an entirely new system with only three prime lenses.

Forget about it.
Even if Pentax launches an all new FF system with a 12 brand new lenses available at the moment of announcement, people in PF and around will bitch around worse than French when they run out of brie.

09-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Even if Pentax launches an all new FF system with a 12 brand new lenses available at the moment of announcement, people in PF and around will bitch around worse than French when they run out of brie.
Haha, love that! I agreed - it seems people genuinely enjoy getting riled up about this stuff.
09-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Forget about it.
actually I bet PF would lose more than half it's traffic. people do come here to vent, and right now there's just a ton of interesting stuff the competition is doing that Pentax isn't.

Last edited by illdefined; 09-30-2012 at 10:33 AM.
09-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
duck.

A FF equivalent of the 18/2 would be a 28/2.8 - there is no such lens in the current Pentax lineup.
09-30-2012, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
A FF equivalent of the 18/2 would be a 28/2.8 - there is no such lens in the current Pentax lineup.
I felt the 31mm 1.8 was close enough, you disagree?
09-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I felt the 31mm 1.8 was close enough, you disagree?
I guess it's close enough for the point you are making.