Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Being an EX dating site user (I met my wife online) - I wouldn't really mind a shot with a higher end camera- one it would show that they MAY understand abit about photography which would be a plus Alot of people have quite apalling shots taken via web cam or selfies taken at arm length that just doesn't really do anyone justice.
A nice photo tells me that the person has self confidence in what they look like and helps communicate if I find the person physically attractive or not.
I agree that some studio shot with fully made up is abit pointless as what happens when I meet them in person? Going to be abit hard to hide that quizzical , is that him/her look :P So for both Sexes I echo the original guidelines the dating places have but using an SLR is fair game.
BTW does that mean a MILC is ok to use as no mirror! ;p

10-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
BTW does that mean a MILC is ok to use as no mirror! ;p
LOL... well, that is next week's philosophical discussion.
10-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Women who judge potential dates on the quality rather than content of the photo are needlessly narrowing their dating field. It's their decision, though.
10-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Are we talking about big pictures on the dating sites, or the little thumbnail picture on the profile pic?

And what sort of dating sites? Like, higher quality ones, or something like a Craigslist ad?

FWIW - most comments I've heard regarding pictures on dating sites is centered more around how deceptive the picture is; i.e. a chubbier person taking a picture from an angle that makes them look slim, etc.

10-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have done the online thing years ago and i am female...first off alot of times men would use old photos, like when they were 10 years younger or 50 pounds lighter...in regard to a posed picture, if the guy was wearing a professional outfit then i would assume it was a picture taken for work and he must be important, email immediately...i can't really say if a casual portrait would affect me in any way...i looked at the whole package and alot of times you could tell what type of guy he was based on what he wrote...i liked to see photos of him doing things he enjoyed...if all he had was a posed shot then i might assume he wasn't really into the online thing (just scoping it out) and most likely his written part was just as abreviated as his pictures were..my 2 cents...thank goodness i am no longer in that meat market club

i forgot to add that whether pictures were taken with an iphone or camera made no difference what so ever..i liked a good picture regardless of how it was taken

Last edited by pearsaab; 10-01-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: forgot info
10-01-2012, 11:10 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

If there are women out there who re so shallow they judge a man by the type of camera he used to take a picture of himself, and then actually prefer a man who doesn't care about quality. I don'tt hink I want them calling anyhow.
10-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Are we talking about big pictures on the dating sites, or the little thumbnail picture on the profile pic? And what sort of dating sites?
Yes, am referring to larger photos... and the sites are like RSVP (I assume they are international?) which are dedicated dating sites.

I do find it interesting though that some people can attribute personality through the quality of a photo. I guess what Arnold said on the previous page (sorry arnold, just using your point as an example) is a reason that people may have preconceived ideas of the subject's personality. We can assume that a vain person would want their photo taken by a nice camera and therefore we assume that a person posing in a nice photo on a dating website will be vain. Personally I have experienced the exact opposite. I have met a person who I would say is quite vain actually say they prefer photos from phones than SLRs because the SLR picks up more of their imperfections.

I am somewhat suprised that we have not had anyone come forward to say they prefer low quality photos for a dating profile... maybe this is a photographer thing? Maybe we view the quality of the image independantly from the subject?

10-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As it happens I met my partner through on line dating and I don't think the issue of which imaging device was used to capture an image came up.

I think the point that Ms Pearsab makes is far more valid: "i looked at the whole package and a lot of times you could tell what type of guy he was based on what he wrote."

I wonder if your Female friends would be biased against a fella who uses a nicer keyboard to write his few words of introduction? Seriously, you need to find more discerning people to survey.
(Or Maybe it's a Queensland thing... fun, sun and bikini's rule....)
10-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
(Or Maybe it's a Queensland thing... fun, sun and bikini's rule....)
Maybe you're right wizofOz.
10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
I had an interesting discussion with a group of women the other day about internet dating photos.
So I guess that the lesson here is that if you want to date any of them, you now know what camera you should be bringing along.
10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
Pentaxian

As a guy who is happily married for 40 years, I'll never have a picture on an online dating site but I will comment that any picture of me posted anywhere is lower quality because I didn't take it.
10-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't understand this conversation. If a woman doesn't appreciate the fact that a man is trying to impress her by looking his best and putting effort into creating a well-made photograph, that is her problem. Personally, I don't like being involved with people who don't appreciate the efforts of others.