Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

www.shutterfly.com

Unlimited storage; you can make a "share site" as well as ordering prints, books & photo gifts. They have a lot of sales & coupons on the products, which is nice. The prints are pretty good & they do an excellent job with books. I use & recommend them.

10-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm also running away from many years of being with Webshots. I'm subscribing to this thread along with one I just started in General Talk while looking for options. From outside the Pentax Forums site I've gotten recommendations of Smugmug and Shutterfly so far. No decisions yet on my part.
10-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I'm also running away from many years of being with Webshots. I'm subscribing to this thread along with one I just started in General Talk while looking for options. From outside the Pentax Forums site I've gotten recommendations of Smugmug and Shutterfly so far. No decisions yet on my part.
I grabbed a pro account at flickr. So far, it seems to work.

I did get a response to my customer service enqury at Webmashots, and honestly, it appears most of th eissues can be dealt with. Not sure I'll stay with them long-term, but great to know they are at least trying to sort customer concerns during their transition. That actually means a lot to me.
10-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to be with Pbase but I'm using Flickr now (for several years).
I go back and check out Pbase once in a while. There's some talent there for sure.

10-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Right - I was just stating that it's not necessary to have a Google+ account to use Picasa Web albums. Using myself as example - I've never signed up for a Google+ account, but have used the Web Albums for years. Now maybe Google gave me a + account, if so, I'm not aware of it.
Ditto for me. I use Picasa but not Google+

I was wondering if there is something better as far as image quality goes.,
10-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Ditto for me. I use Picasa but not Google+

I was wondering if there is something better as far as image quality goes.,
As much as I like the convenience of Picasa Web Albums, I think there's some image degradation when you upload, even at 100% quality. I'm getting better results using Photobucket for image hosting. I don't care much for their interface, but the improvement in image quality is worth it for me.
10-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
As much as I like the convenience of Picasa Web Albums, I think there's some image degradation when you upload, even at 100% quality.
I thought the same hence my question. I haven't used Photobucket for a while and the last time I looked for some of my pics, they were no longer there. I can upload some of my pics to my camera club Flickr account for comparison (as I'm now webmaster and Flickr admin for the club's account).

11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Flick Pro partly because I'm a member of a local Flickr group so it is a social thing - we meet regularly, hold the occasional exhibition, etc. A nice alternative to a conventional photographic society, perhaps. I'll admit, though, that Flickr haven't made much effort to improve their site over the past couple of years and it's now a bit dated (imho). For the best stuff, I use Zenfolio again on a pay-for basis. Zenfolio have a pretty good system and it's worked well for me though there are others to choose from, like Smugmug for example. I do know, though, that some local rags where I live scour Flickr using keyword searches and as a result I've sold a few pics to them over the past few years so Flickr has advantages as a shop window of sorts.
11-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

One advantage of Picasa is the amount of free storage - 2GB and there doesn't appear to be a numerical limit. Picasa on the PC does have image editing tools built in as well as having on-line tools.

I went onto my late son's Imageshack site yesterday and found it was limited to 500 images and he had 744 up there (I guess h had a paid account) so IS will delete the oldest 244 on 1st December in order to get it to the 500 limit.
11-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One advantage of Picasa is the amount of free storage - 2GB and there doesn't appear to be a numerical limit. Picasa on the PC does have image editing tools built in as well as having on-line tools.

I went onto my late son's Imageshack site yesterday and found it was limited to 500 images and he had 744 up there (I guess h had a paid account) so IS will delete the oldest 244 on 1st December in order to get it to the 500 limit.
2 GB? My account is only giving me 1 gb. I don't like Picasa for photo hosting, but for just sharing with friends & family, it's fine. Another thing is, if you keep your photo size down to 800 px, they don't count towards your limit. So, in that regard it's virtually unlimited space.
11-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Sorry, you are right, it is 1GB free storage on Picasa. I've only used 97MB thus far.

What is it about Picasa that you don't like?
11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, you are right, it is 1GB free storage on Picasa. I've only used 97MB thus far.

What is it about Picasa that you don't like?
Somehow the images degrade when you upload them, even at 100% quality. I see artifacts, and a faint grid-like pattern sometimes. I don't see this when uploading to Flickr or Photobucket. Like I said, for me Picasa is fine for casual use, YMMV.