Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Yes, they were designed for film not sensors, what makes you think that they will work on FF digital sensors same way they were working on film?
I was talking about FOV, but I think most high quality "old FF lenses" work better on FF sensors, than on APS-C sensors.

10-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I was talking about FOV, but I think most high quality "old FF lenses" work better on FF sensors, than on APS-C sensors.
FOV is better on midell format so again we need cheeper 645D
10-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

FOV is better on midell format so again we need cheeper 645D
LOL, and how can you make K-mount lenses to be used on 645D?

Well. thinking about it. Maybe Pentax can make a cheap specal version of 645D. With small body, 36x24mm sensor and K-mount.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-09-2012 at 02:47 AM.
10-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, and how can you make K-mount lenses to be used on 645D?
Two lense at the same time. Joking.
Serosly pepole with FF lenses complaining about no FF sensor must just shoot on film because they stuck in past. Idely every time new sensor is made it should have new lenses specially made for it, that what RICHON did with GRX.

10-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Two lense at the same time. Joking.
Serosly pepole with FF lenses complaining about no FF sensor must just shoot on film because they stuck in past. Idely every time new sensor is made it should have new lenses specially made for it, that what RICHON did with GRX.
And how about the Leica M-mount module for GXR?
10-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
APS-C sensor
10-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #22

I just want back my old 24x36mm format.
Because I still have those "old" lenses who also imo are not really performing as they should perform on my k20d. I only use my FA 50mm/1.4 sometimes. In the analogue days a super lens with superb quality, but now not really performing better than my 18-55mm kit lens. Especially in the shorter ranges the kit lens performs very well.

And "need" is a big word. What do we really need. Water, bread and sleep.

I guess when a ff is available we just WANT it. For many different reasons.

10-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #23

I want FF for sure. FF that is exactly same as K5 with FF sensor. Same price, size, weight, outlook, design, menus, SD cards, battery, all same lenses fit...everything same but only sensor is FF. Naturally mirror and viewfinder also will be litter bigger size than K5. Thank u pentax, i am waiting for K5 IIf

Last edited by 123jippo; 10-09-2012 at 03:22 AM.
10-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Realisticly speaking, an FF DSLR can never be as small as the K5. An FF sensor is huge, twice the size of APSC, and the mirror, that has to swing up and down, is also twice as large. The only way an FF camera is going to be compact is if it has no mirror.
To reiterate other's comments...huh? The mirror box on my K10D is the same depth as the one in my tiny Pentax Super Program and that camera is bigger than a Pentax MX or any of the Olympus OM-series film cameras. In theory, a FF dSLR should be the same depth as and about 1cm taller and 1.5cm wider than an APS-C body based on sensor size alone. Unfortunately there is the matter of those bulky electronics and power system to support fast FF image processing, frame rate, video, and AF systems.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-09-2012 at 03:45 AM.
10-09-2012, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Serosly pepole with FF lenses complaining about no FF sensor must just shoot on film because they stuck in past. Idely every time new sensor is made it should have new lenses specially made for it,
There are a number of considerations in relation to sensor size, but for many of us it boils down to creative control over depth of field (DOF) and availability of decent and relatively compact wide-angle options. There are reasons why 35mm film was and is such a popular film size despite more compact formats being available (e.g. 1/2 frame, 110, 16mm, Minox, etc.). It has to do with "sweet spot" in each of the following areas:
  • DOF control
  • Size of kit (both bodies and lenses)
  • Lens maximum aperture
  • Viewfinder image
Yes, "sweet spot". Great DOF control, available compact fast glass, and large bright viewfinder images in a package that is easily hand-holdable and compact.

In case you don't get the DOF connection. Have you ever shot medium format? If you have, you are probably aware of why there are NO f/1.4 lenses for say the Pentax 645d and no, it has nothing to do with physical size. Instead, it has everything to do with DOF. As the format size increases, the available DOF for a particular aperture decreases. A 80mm f/1.4 normal lens for the 645D would have razor-thin DOF and would be unworkable wide open.

The opposite is also true. With APS-C and smaller formats even a fast lens does not provide adequate subject isolation in many cases for normal or wide angle shooting.

Steve

(BTW...am seriously stuck in the past and shoots film (35mm through 4x5) to get the creative control missing in APS-C digital...)
10-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

APS-C sensor
Yes, but they did not use the M-mount module for new lenses, but for up to 58 year old lenses.

Ricoh made this because they saw a maket in offering a cheap solution to Leica users, so they use APS-C to keep price down.
10-09-2012, 05:14 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

I can not believe the amount of FF v APSC that goes on in these forums. They all have there Pros and Cons. Who cares what who uses ? The best format is the one thats best for the individual. Anyone claiming that one format is better than the other for anyone but themselves is simply an idiot. Between the three main contenders of Four thirds, APSC and FF , I prefer APSC format and would choose four thirds even over FF. Thats just me though. I spend more time after more DOF than less. Its not difficult to get shallow DOF with APSC either. Surely to god everyone is well aware of the differances by now between the formats. Im going have to stop reading posts lol.
10-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I can not believe the amount of FF v APSC that goes on in these forums. They all have there Pros and Cons. Who cares what who uses ? The best format is the one thats best for the individual. Anyone claiming that one format is better than the other for anyone but themselves is simply an idiot. Between the three main contenders of Four thirds, APSC and FF , I prefer APSC format and would choose four thirds even over FF. Thats just me though. I spend more time after more DOF than less. Its not difficult to get shallow DOF with APSC either. Surely to god everyone is well aware of the differances by now between the formats. Im going have to stop reading posts lol.
Very Well Said
10-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Because film is quite a bit thinner then an LCD screen and supporting electronics + sensor + sensor stabilisation & its needed clearence & support frame / plate + processors + IR & low pass filter + giant battery + all the stuff I'm forgetting about.

You are also forgetting about the film pressure plate in the door of a film camera as well as the cartridge and spool. The LCD made the digital bodies thicker anyway so that part is moot. You should only consider the sensor, SR, when comparing the film body and the film and plate should be taken into account.
10-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #30
Site Supporter