Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you really want a FF???

Look at this Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 Sample Gallery HI-ISO shots. They look worth than a two years old APS-C K5 same iso shots. You will say it's PS camera, but it's the same sensor and same processor that is in Sony A99. So do you really need unfinished FF camera that makes HI-ISO shots worth than your old APS-C camera? I don't.
P.S. If a moderator thinks my thread is in wrong section please move it.

10-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #2

That camera might have a lot of pixels, but that isn't a guarantee for quality. I have to admit the quality of the pics is good, but I noticed in all of them some softness.
None of them were really sharp.
The amount of noise is reasonable, but still visible at 1000/1250 ISO.
I guess the price of this camera will be pretty close to the new K-5 II, so your choice may depend on what type of photographer you are.
I still prefer a (compact) dslr with changeable lenses, and that's why i still want pentax to develop a ff with perfect high ISO performances with optimal sharpness. Also it has to be a pretty compact one like the k-5, not a monster like some of its concurrents.
10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
I guess the price of this camera will be pretty close to the new K-5 II
It's price is 2800$ so K5IIs is cheeper
10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That camera might have a lot of pixels, but that isn't a guarantee for quality. I have to admit the quality of the pics is good, but I noticed in all of them some softness.
None of them were really sharp.
The amount of noise is reasonable, but still visible at 1000/1250 ISO.
I guess the price of this camera will be pretty close to the new K-5 II, so your choice may depend on what type of photographer you are.
I still prefer a (compact) dslr with changeable lenses, and that's why i still want pentax to develop a ff with perfect high ISO performances with optimal sharpness. Also it has to be a pretty compact one like the k-5, not a monster like some of its concurrents.
Realisticly speaking, an FF DSLR can never be as small as the K5. An FF sensor is huge, twice the size of APSC, and the mirror, that has to swing up and down, is also twice as large. The only way an FF camera is going to be compact is if it has no mirror.

Personally, I would love Pentax to issue a MILC FF with good EVF. New lensmount to make it even smaller and enable SR. Off course to be delivered with dedicated K-mount adapter with AF motor.

10-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
It's price is 2800$ so K5IIs is cheeper
10-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because Sony RX1 is pocket size point&shoot FF camera that is aming for Lieca market.
10-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Realisticly speaking, an FF DSLR can never be as small as the K5. An FF sensor is huge, twice the size of APSC, and the mirror, that has to swing up and down, is also twice as large. The only way an FF camera is going to be compact is if it has no mirror.
???? my old analogue MZ-S was of the same size as my k20d. That was ff format including film + transporting mechanism. Why would a ff dslr be so much larger?

10-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because it needs more power for all the fancy electronics inside so battery compartment takes 30-40% of DSLR body. Plus the heet from sensor and procesers.
10-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Because it needs more power for all the fancy electronics inside so battery compartment takes 30-40% of DSLR body. Plus the heet from sensor and procesers.
How can then Sony fit a FF sensor in RX1? I actually think that RX1 is more power hungry than a DSLR as RX1 is a full time live-view camera.

But I don't think it's much advantage in using FF sensors in small P&S cameras as you can make a APS-C version with 95% of the IQ for less than half its price.
10-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

???? my old analogue MZ-S was of the same size as my k20d. That was ff format including film + transporting mechanism. Why would a ff dslr be so much larger?
Because film is quite a bit thinner then an LCD screen and supporting electronics + sensor + sensor stabilisation & its needed clearence & support frame / plate + processors + IR & low pass filter + giant battery + all the stuff I'm forgetting about.
10-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
How can then Sony fit a FF sensor in RX1? I actually think that RX1 is more power hungry than a DSLR as RX1 is a full time live-view camera.

But I don't think it's much advantage in using FF sensors in small P&S cameras as you can make a APS-C version with 95% of the IQ for less than half its price.
Yes it's power hungry and shot cout is only around 200 percarge.
My point exactly, why should we need an FF if APS-C has still room to grow.
What really Pentax user community need is cheeper 645D.
10-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yes it's power hungry and shot cout is only around 200 percarge.
My point exactly, why should we need an FF if APS-C has still room to grow.
What really Pentax user community need is cheeper 645D.
The need of FF DSLR is because many users have loads of FF lenses. APS-C and 645D is not the best replacement for those users.
10-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The need of FF DSLR is because many users have loads of FF lenses. APS-C and 645D is not the best replacement for those users.
But the FF lenses work on APS-C don't they?
10-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Not the same way they where designed for in the first place.
10-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not the same way they where designed for in the first place.
Yes, they were designed for film not sensors, what makes you think that they will work on FF digital sensors same way they were working on film?