Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was just going through DxO lens ratings and that Tamron 28-75 would seem to be an absolutely stellar performer. I wonder if they're still made in a Pentax mount.

10-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was just going through DxO lens ratings and that Tamron 28-75 would seem to be an absolutely stellar performer. I wonder if they're still made in a Pentax mount.
That would be a yes. Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF AF09P700
10-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
How many lenses do you need? I made the beach shot in 2009 with a K-10 and a Tamron 28-75. Printed it today for an Exhibit entry at 16x24. The portrait is from a street fair last August, same lens on a K-5. I could make a living with just the Tamron.
Then what's the point in an ILC? If you're going with just one lens anyway, get a nice bridgecam. You'll never have a dirty sensor! And sorry for assuming that Pentax actually wants to sell the products they make.
10-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Some pics!
Constructive critique is more than welcome!

Also, I would disagree that the value of lenses depreciate over time. Unlike cameras, good lenses are pretty safe and good investment.

Last edited by Apapukas; 05-01-2014 at 12:37 AM.
10-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I suggest getting your law degree in addition to moving into pro shooting. Most of us pros have two or three different professions/abilities in case photography slows down.

As far as Pentax being the best value? It sure used to be and still is for most of its digital line. Its pricing on the 645D and the lenses made for it were a departure from this. The 645D using older 645 lenses is a better deal.

I have shot a number of weddings with my Pentax 6x7 ( yes with that wretched film) and have done quite well. It is an affordable pro camera. Although no longer in production, they are quite common. Their 645 is also affordable and pro quality. If you feel you have outgrown you current setup, consider these two.

Your portrait examples above are okay but putting the person off so far to the side of the frame is a bit strange, at least on the first two.

Last edited by desertscape; 10-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.
10-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Then what's the point in an ILC? If you're going with just one lens anyway, get a nice bridgecam. You'll never have a dirty sensor! And sorry for assuming that Pentax actually wants to sell the products they make.
Because I generally shoot with two bodies, wide and long. Besides the Tamron, I carry a Pentax 12-24 and a Pentax 50-135. They have different applications, just like the different blades I use on my table saw. An earlier poster was going on about buying 8 lenses and worrying about his investment. I've never bought a tool as an investment, I bought it to do a job.
10-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
Because I generally shoot with two bodies, wide and long. Besides the Tamron, I carry a Pentax 12-24 and a Pentax 50-135. They have different applications, just like the different blades I use on my table saw. An earlier poster was going on about buying 8 lenses and worrying about his investment. I've never bought a tool as an investment, I bought it to do a job.
And I recently bought a used Pentax 17-70 as a backup in case I drop something. Shot a wedding with it, nice lens.

10-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
I suggest getting your law degree in addition to moving into pro shooting. Most of us pros have two or three different professions/abilities in case photography slows down.

As far as Pentax being the best value? It sure used to be and still is for most of its digital line. Its pricing on the 645D and the lenses made for it were a departure from this. The 645D using older 645 lenses is a better deal.

I have shot a number of weddings with my Pentax 6x7 ( yes with that wretched film) and have done quite well. It is an affordable pro camera. Although no longer in production, they are quite common. Their 645 is also affordable and pro quality. If you feel you have outgrown you current setup, consider these two.

Your portrait examples above are okay but putting the person off so far to the side of the frame is a bit strange, at least on the first two.
Thanks for a comment!
Putting persons off to the sides is common newbie mistake. I was no exception.
As well as shooting only headshot or "belly to head" portraits. Newbies are usually afraid of wider angles, larger aperture settings, as it makes much more difficult to control the background behind your subject.
I will try not repeat these mistakes the next time I go shoot!
10-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Thanks for a comment!
As well as shooting only headshot or "belly to head" portraits. Newbies are usually afraid of wider angles, larger aperture settings, as it makes much more difficult to control the background behind your subject.
I will try not repeat these mistakes the next time I go shoot!
Don't overcorrect and center the subject too much!
10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I could make a living with just the Tamron.
I'm seriously thinking of a new camera bag with the KIIs -Tamron 10-24, the Tamron 28-75 , which if you look on the DxO site is one of the highest rated lenses available for K-mount- and the Tamron 70-200 2.8.

Throw a Samyang 14. 2.8, a 31 Ltd, D FA 50 2.8 macro and a 77 ltd in there and that's heck of a camera bag.

Last edited by normhead; 10-15-2012 at 03:07 PM.
10-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I'm seriously thinking of a new camera bag with the KIIs -Tamron 10-24, the Tamron 28-75 , which if you look on the DxO site is one of the highest rated lenses available for L-mount- and the Tamron 70-200 2.8.

Throw a Samyang 14. 2.8, a 31 Ltd, D FA 50 2.8 macro and a 77 ltd in there and that's heck of a camera bag.
Oui, oui, oui ... and now I'm jealous ... no, just kidding & let us know if DxO is right! - J -
10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm seriously thinking of a new camera bag with the KIIs -Tamron 10-24, the Tamron 28-75 , which if you look on the DxO site is one of the highest rated lenses available for L-mount- and the Tamron 70-200 2.8.

I'm thinking about three primes setup. 70mm Ltd, 31 Ltd and ...... don't know yet, time will tell what I need
Currently I'm saving for 31 Ltd to get some wider angle, I believe it will be the best Christmas present ever

Also, why FA 50 2.8 instead of Sigma 50 1.4? They're pretty much the same price and Sigma is much faster, already sharp wide open (based on reviews) and has HSM.
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
It is? They're magic imho. I only thought that I'm going to have to try that.
10-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Also, why FA 50 2.8 instead of Sigma 50 1.4? They're pretty much the same price and Sigma is much faster, already sharp wide open (based on reviews) and has HSM.
For me it's all about getting it done, and being able to carry it.
Tessfully and I "share" lenses and bodies, so, the K-5 and the Tamron 90- macro are pretty much hers. I don't have a good sharp macro lens. The 50 is small enough to fit nicely in my bag and go every where, fill the 50 mm "must have" gap in the lenses listed, and provide me with a nice sharp macro lens.

QuoteQuote:
Oui, oui, oui ... and now I'm jealous ... no, just kidding & let us know if DxO is right! - J -
Hey don't get me wrong, that's what I'd like to get. Whether or not things play out so I actually end up with it is another issue.

The K-5 IIs and the 28-75 are pretty much decided, after that, a lot of things can happen.
10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Just crop the aspect from 3:2 to 4:5 or 1:1 to salvage it.