Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crazy 1Dx focusing

When will Pentax have such luxury focus feature :
1DX AI Servo test1 - YouTube

But the lenses focus speed will have to follow up too.

10-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's really not all that fast focusing...speed isn't tested in the least, just seems like it can keep track on a non-moving object. Also - 14FPS in live view, focusing is unnecessary, just range focus and twist the ring back and forth, one of them will turn out ;D
10-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Notice the way the focus points jump around, my friends 1DX does it and it is really annoying!

Try focus on flower and the focus will lock on one point then go ballistic jumping back and forth between different points causing what you were intending to photograph to constantly go in and out of focus. Like the camera is expecting the subject to move?

Basically the camera will not settle on one point and then change if the first goes out of focus, it changes to another point despite the first one remaining in focus... A Pentax focus system will jump around trying to find focus but once there it stays locked!

Don't get me wrong the focus speed and accuracy on the canon is impressive but why on earth does it constantly swap points????
10-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think you don't get it right : this Ai-servo is a mix of "continuous AF" locked to a "selected target", hence the constant "jump" of AF points but the target stays in focus.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-20-2012 at 01:10 PM.
10-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

For me that is an impressive display. I hear it is an awesome AF system on some Canon bird sites for BIF. Once it locks on it will not let go.
BUT, for 6,700 dollars and a FF not for me. For birding that is. For everything else it would be great.

They say the 1D mark 1V is as good? I may spring for that one. 1.3 crop for birding, and AF would be a blast to shoot with.

If Pentax ever put's out a pro-body. Or a pro-summer that will AF just a little bit in continuous mode. Even if as good as the 7D then I would buy one in a heart beat. We'll see.

Last edited by garyk; 10-19-2012 at 11:59 PM.
10-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TZH Quote

Even my GXR has multi AF.... Not such fast, but very accurate.
10-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just spoke to my friend who said he is still learning how to set the AF up properly... Apparently there is some face detection mode that is on by default so the AF jumps around to try find a face??

If you turn that off the AF stays locked and will switch to the other points if needed for movement.

10-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That's cool and all but...

good lord, that's loud!
10-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Quieter than my old K10D but noisier than a K5... That recording must have been made really close to the camera... )
10-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TZH Quote

Seem the the AF points dancing around like that would be annoying , but could live with it if the AF was that good at following as long as its accurate.

OT: I just ate a whole packet of those Taiwanese Pistachios just like the on the left side of the frame, now I'm really thirsty.
11-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
For me that is an impressive display. I hear it is an awesome AF system on some Canon bird sites for BIF. Once it locks on it will not let go.
BUT, for 6,700 dollars and a FF not for me. For birding that is. For everything else it would be great.

They say the 1D mark 1V is as good? I may spring for that one. 1.3 crop for birding, and AF would be a blast to shoot with.

If Pentax ever put's out a pro-body. Or a pro-summer that will AF just a little bit in continuous mode. Even if as good as the 7D then I would buy one in a heart beat. We'll see.
I agree with garyk that Pentax needs an updated AF system close to Canon and Nikon, even if it was like the Nikon F5 was, that would at least be reliable. The tech people designing Pentax gear figure the majority of users get by with what they have, which is true. . . . . just my worthless american 2 cents . . . should probably have posted at least 25 cents worth. . . oh well