Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do any of you show your portfolio?

My sister's doctor's office crew has asked me to bring some of my photos to a "show and tell" scenario and I am contemplating how to do this. I first thought I'd print some out but that can get expensive, so I need other ideas. Doctors here, if any, could help me decide how. Or any others with ideas could help too.

This has all come about because when I drive my sister to her doctor's office, the place is surrounded by nature and I take my backpack full of my camera gear, and spend the time waiting on her to be set free, shooting a lot of photos. I was questioned twice or three times, why and what I was shooting, and when I explained I was a professional nature photographer, the request to see my photos came up in the last visit there. So,what would be the best way to show my photos other than printing them. I have two weeks to get something together for this opportunity, which might result in some sales..

10-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

So you don't actually print your images?
10-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

iPad - You can upload your full res photos to any number of places and then download them to an iPad at any time and set it up any way you wish. It's really very easy. The iPad retina display is gorgeous and quite impressive. You can even set up a slide show right on the iPad. Simply do a search for iPad photo display and go for it!
10-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Banned

Printing reasonable quality shots is not that expensive. I met someone recently in Switzerland during a photoshoot who did just that- printed out some pics on reasonably good quality paper and put them in an album that he carried around and gave to others, with less care than an iPad.

The iPad is nice, but it also doesn't replace something that putting a shot on paper gives to a potential buyer, even in the digital era. When someone wants to buy, they want to see what it physically looks like so they can figure if it will work in their application, like hanging on a wall, which they won't do with an iPad.

This is something I've been meaning to do for a while, but I usually just give out my blog address.

10-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
JohnBee, no, I don't print my photos. I have something like, 5000 photos, that would be a bit ridiculous to print that many photos.

Glenn, I don't own an ipad, nor any other new display object.

snake, I don't want 4x6 photos to show my portfolio. To me that depicts snapshots. I don't take snapshots, I take photographs.
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
but I usually just give out my blog address.
Here's what I was thinking to do. Just give them my flickr address to my sets. I am not sure a doctor's office would have internet access and that's why I was asked the original question. I used to put them on DVDs in resolutions they couldn't print, but with my phone number if they wanted prints. But again, I'm not sure they would have a way to see them, per the computers in that office.
10-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I am not sure a doctor's office would have internet access
Internet: If you live in the U.S, most doctors offices do their billing to insurance companies through the internet. Unless it is a solo practice and they have given the billing work to a third party. If it is not the doctor that asked to see your pics, it maybe that sites like flickr are blocked.

DVD's: same thing, there maybe only one or two computers with a dvd/cd in the computer tower. However, they could always take it home and view it at home. It is much easier to put it in a USB thumb drive to view at work though. Pharmaceutical reps sometimes give continuing medical education materials on thumb drives.

Next time you go, you could do both, give them a card with your flickr link and tell them you have a thumb drive if they are unable to access flickr at work.

Last edited by psychdoc; 10-21-2012 at 10:44 AM.
10-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
On the thumb drive, would they have the software to view the photos? I know Windows has the paint program built in. I guess most Windows has a built in photo viewer other than paint. I don't know because I have never used Windows photo viewer, I just automatically install FastStone. The problem I see in using thumb drives is, they could simply copy the photos to their computer and that's something I'm trying to avoid.
10-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
Photos: Gallery
bring some of my photos to a "show and tell" scenario
For the scenario you describe, both yourself and whatever medium you end up choosing will need to be there at the same time otherwise it would not be "show and tell".

So is the purpose of this exercise just to inform folk or is it to promote yourself as a professional nature photographer, with a view to selling finished work.

For the former I would respectfully suggest a few prints of some of your best work would serve the purpose admirably.

For the later, I would be seriously considering the iPad route or some other display device for the immediacy of being able to show your wares. Also for sound commercial reasons of maintaining full control of your images, as your not passing them across in any electronic or storage medium format to a third party. You may also find that there may be issues concerning the uploading to "work" computers, local intranets etc, of "personal or outsider" files and or software to a sensitive site as a Medical Facility. Lastly there may also be some serious time restraints working against you.

I wish you well with this venture, let us know how you get on, good luck.

10-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One of my problems is, these photos can't be shown during office hours. Doctor and nurses would be preoccupied with patients. That was one of my reasons for saying put them in touch with my flickr account or sets. Then they could look at them at home. I'm not sure how safe flickr is when it comes to people copying my photos. I guess I could print a couple. However, with printed photos, what's to stop people from scanning or having prints made without them paying me?

And what I meant by "show and tell" was just words that popped into my head while I was typing this. I would rather it not be this type of idea.

I also thought about giving them my PPG address, though there are only 37 photos in there, but they can't copy and paste those.

I'm planning a website in the near future where I will have my photography on display without the option to right click and save image as, but I haven't started that except to register the domain name, i.e, Portraits in Nature.

Last edited by photolady95; 10-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
10-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I use a combination of iPad and moo cards
10-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #11
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
I use a combination of iPad and moo cards
I don't have the funds to buy an iPad, nor the time to order any business cards. Btw, how big is the screen on an iPad?

I think I'm just going to give them access a set on my flickr account. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input.
10-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My sister's doctor's office crew has asked me to bring some of my photos to a "show and tell" scenario and I am contemplating how to do this. I first thought I'd print some out but that can get expensive, so I need other ideas. Doctors here, if any, could help me decide how. Or any others with ideas could help too.

This has all come about because when I drive my sister to her doctor's office, the place is surrounded by nature and I take my backpack full of my camera gear, and spend the time waiting on her to be set free, shooting a lot of photos. I was questioned twice or three times, why and what I was shooting, and when I explained I was a professional nature photographer, the request to see my photos came up in the last visit there. So,what would be the best way to show my photos other than printing them. I have two weeks to get something together for this opportunity, which might result in some sales..
Hi PL. My thoughts on "How" depend on the answer to "Why"... (My wife's a doc, and I have seen a variety of office settings over the course of her career...) If the doctor or his/her office manager wants to purchase some of your pics for their office (a good idea since it's quite possibly images of the nature around their location), then you should make an appointment for a specific time to sit down with the doc or whomever is making the purchase decision. Bring along your portfolio on a laptop, or a USB flash drive if you don't have a laptop with decent sized screen. Plan to sit down with one or two people and go through your images and see what they like. Maybe bring a few printed samples, maybe 8x10 (I would not worry about going larger for this). Treat it as a business transaction, not a medical appointment, but don't just drop in and expect to get their full attention - as you say they will be focused on the patients and work during the normal course of the day. Make sure that you get time with the right person, the one who makes the decision on buying it or not, not just whoever has time free that day.

If they just want to see your pictures because they are interested, or "oh, how cool that you take pictures around here!", or that sort of non-business-oriented reasons, then I think your idea of giving them your Flickr address is a good idea. They can look at your photos at their leisure, without wasting your time or theirs.

And any doctor's office in the US is going to have Internet... Well, at least 99.999% will, I suppose there might be one or two somewhere in a ghost town... Other countries, no idea

Jim
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
If they just want to see your pictures because they are interested, or "oh, how cool that you take pictures around here!", or that sort of non-business-oriented reasons, then I think your idea of giving them your Flickr address is a good idea. They can look at your photos at their leisure, without wasting your time or theirs.
The above is correct. They just want to see my photos. Though it still might generate a sale or two. I didn't' want this to be a business transaction type of showing.

And you're right,about doctors here having internet access, my doctor has internet. In fact, they use laptops in that office, and each doctor carries around to the patient when seeing them.

However, I will keep your other suggestion in mind should I need to do that sometime too.

Thanks, Jim, for your thoughts on my situation.
10-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

They aren't asking you to show your photos because they want to give you a job, but to sue to your trespassing and take your photos because they were taken without permission
Try using an online service (like 500px) and make two or three large prints. The prints are important because on tiny computer screens many photos can look underwhelming when on a big print they would be striking.
10-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
They aren't asking you to show your photos because they want to give you a job, but to sue to your trespassing and take your photos because they were taken without permission :P
You're funny!! LOL

I was thinking prints also. I have a wide format Epson printer, that I could use to print a couple of 8 x 10s.