Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Have you read another forums than I have? I have the opposite impression; that FF is the holy grail. Anyway, I have some sympathies with ogl's point that film formats may not be the ideal formats for digital. In an ideal world I would prefer APS and MF Digital. Unfortunately, the latter is too expensive for me, in spite of owning four 645 lenses from 33mm to 300mm. FF may be a good compromise provided it at least 36mp.
I guess it depends on what side you're on

I'm in the camp that believes that FF is just a step up from APS-C in size, cost, and IQ. MF is just another step up from that.

But yeah, in the ideal world I would have a top of the line APS-C for it's size, weight, and compactness, and a MF for those times where I can sacrifice portability. But, like you, digital MF is way out of my price range. A 36 mp FF like the D800 would be a great compromise. I'm just waiting until it's got a Pentax logo on it

10-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps, but the cameras ain't in spite of being cheaper made (6D; D600)
Cheaper made? The first 5D was very plasticky and rudimentary.
10-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #48
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I think there is a market for such a system. Growing the sensor a little bit would be great, as to 48x36mm is twice the size of a ff camera. Coming from the same wafer as D600 would give a nice 48 megapixel and that is already very well performing I guess. Making the camera smaller is also possible, since there is enough room to spare. Even it could be smaller with a different desig, since the back-lcd could also go on top of the camera.
10-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Perhaps, but the cameras ain't in spite of being cheaper made (6D; D600)
I totally agree.

Which is precisely why I said in an earlier post:

"It is a price gulf enjoyed and exploited by the camera makers, and one they hope they can artificially carry for as long as possible.

12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FF insert for 645N?

Well, one solution might be to make a 35mm full-frame digital insert for the 645 film cameras. Or a 6 x 4.5 digital insert ... actually, they are a lot smaller but are still called that... but they are still larger than 35mm. You could use older Kodak chips, so as not to compete with the 645D.

But. Might not make much sense, if the marketplace demands high-megapixel 35mm full-frames like the Nikon d800 and d600... no matter that the 645s are so much better ergonomically.