Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The best Pentax ad I've seen so far

During a routine news check at Digital Photography Review today, I just saw what looks like Pentax's strongest marketing effort yet:

Kudos to Pentax for finally making a truly serious effort to advertise its products. Pentax has done an excellent job of marketing its key advantage, weather sealing, and its primary benefit of enabling users to keep shooting in adverse conditions.

Environmental sealing was once a pro-oriented feature intended to enable professionals to continue working under less-than-ideal conditions. Pentax has clearly changed that. If Pentax successfully markets its $849 environmentally sealed DSLR, we're going to see a lot more people using Pentax over the coming months...

This clearly shows that Ricoh is taking Pentax very seriously and is taking full advantage of the brand's strengths. Let's hope Ricoh keeps this up!

---DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 10-24-2012 at 09:39 AM.
10-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow. I normally use adblock, so i had to disable it in order to see the ad.
Really nice. Without a doubt Pentax's best effort at marketing their products.
Kudos to Ricoh!
10-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax also showed up in Outdoor Photographer's on line ads this week (? I'm not there all that often - could have been earlier).
10-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, their new series emphasizing weather resistance is a genuine step up in their game. Kudos to Pentax.

10-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They've continued to advertise in Backpacker magazine (at least the on-line version) lately too.
10-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've also seen a bunch of Pentax ads and a reviews in (German) Photography magazines. I do think this is an indication of Ricoh pumping Pentax up a little, so that Pentax can take off on its own at a later date.
10-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is so hot I want to buy 5 K-30's right now.
10-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
This is so hot I want to buy 5 K-30's right now.
There are some good deals out there right now too:
Pentax
K-30 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-300mm DA Lenses

Free Shipping!
Availability:Available
Abe's Price: $996.95

10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like they're finally getting into the marketing more than ever and doing it big. Just check out what I got in the mail today. This is my new address and I have never registered my new address to Pentax in any way, and there were no change of address sticker stuck on the front; And all my products I bought were from my old address. Looks like this is getting distributed randomly to people.

Only distributed to those who lives in minnesota =P Taking a closer look,

Last edited by LeDave; 10-24-2012 at 05:02 PM.
10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Man, I was pumped when I saw the WG-2 proudly displayed at Target! The way they're marketing the K-30 we may see those in big box stores soon, too!
10-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Man, I was pumped when I saw the WG-2 proudly displayed at Target! The way they're marketing the K-30 we may see those in big box stores soon, too!
They've been displaying them at Target since the WG-1, but I doubt they're selling well with that many Canikony P&S sitting right next to the lonely Pentax. Also there's been a lot of cases where the WG-2 leaks water right when you dip it in the water rather than its' whatever meter rated water-proofing. Pentax P&S are okay, but their APS-C's are a whole different story and would fare better against it's rivals if the K-30 were put on shelves at Target.
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah, the K-30 can crush the entry level Nikon and Canon offerings, I'd love seeing the K-30 in Target and Best Buy!!
10-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Good to see cross promo with the binoculars. I have Papilio 6.5x21 macro binoculars and 10x50 PCF WP II and both are amazingly good, plus good value.
Now if only they could start making telescopes again.
10-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Oh and lol, recently I bought a local Playboy (I read it for the articles, of course! Seriously, they had an interview with a locally famous poet) and inside it was an ad for the WG-2. It was also mentioned in one of those articles for "stuff that men must have" next to luxury cars and expensive watches. The WG-2 actually fits in that style very well, it kinda does look like a sports car, with its odd angles.
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #15

Pentax & Marketing & Retail

I hope you guys (and gals) don't mind if I chime in here, I'm new to the forum but a Pentax user for over 30 years. I've ALWAYS been curious as to why you can find SO MANY Nikon, Cannon, Panasonic etc. type cameras at the Big Box stores and even local Camera Dealers (even when I lived outside of ATL GA) but you HARDLY EVER see ANY Pentax cameras. Does Pentax just not want that market, is it too costly for them?

When the Pentax K-X first came out I went to Wolf/Ritz Camera in Atlanta, they have a bunch of stores there and I NEVER was able to touch, feel, hold a Pentax K-X because though they had them on their web site, they were NEVER in the store. I've been using Pentax cameras since the 70s and just don't understand why you NEVER see them in stores?

Just curious............