Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #16

I tried Blogger (didn't like the interface) and Wordpress (overpowered), then moved to Tumblr. Beautifully easy to use and huge community. Now I have more Tumblr "followers" than facebook "friends".

11-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for wordpress. nerdy enough to keep me interested, and easy enough to play with when not interested.

Oh and alright, my scrapbook filled with personal sh*..... :P
11-15-2012, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 53bicycles Quote
I tried Blogger (didn't like the interface) and Wordpress (overpowered), then moved to Tumblr. Beautifully easy to use and huge community. Now I have more Tumblr "followers" than facebook "friends".
I've been pushed to do Tumblr by a friend and fan of my stuff. She thinks it will do well there, but followers and reposts are of little meaning. Getting somewhere with photography has meaning to me.
11-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I've been pushed to do Tumblr by a friend and fan of my stuff. She thinks it will do well there, but followers and reposts are of little meaning. Getting somewhere with photography has meaning to me.
Not sure what you mean by "getting somewhere", but gaining exposure and getting feedback can always help. Other blog sites felt like yelling into an empty room, I could see through my analytics not much was happening. The tumblr blog became much more dynamic very quickly. If I am not communicating and getting a response with my photography I truly feel I am getting nowhere.

some links:
PDN Pulse
How To Find Great Photography on Tumblr | American Photo

11-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 53bicycles Quote
Not sure what you mean by "getting somewhere", but gaining exposure and getting feedback can always help. Other blog sites felt like yelling into an empty room, I could see through my analytics not much was happening. The tumblr blog became much more dynamic very quickly. If I am not communicating and getting a response with my photography I truly feel I am getting nowhere.

some links:
PDN Pulse
How To Find Great Photography on Tumblr | American Photo
What would you think I meant by "getting somewhere"?
11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #21

I love tumblrs ease of use and functionality but the dealbreaker for me is that Tumblr sucks for SEO (search engine optimization). If you just want to share your photos with family and friends, then this probably doesn't matter much to you. However if you want the world (outside of tumblr) to find your work then I'd advise against it.
11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
What would you think I meant by "getting somewhere"?
I thought maybe it might be a business decision? Tumblr is admittedly more social and has a young hipster reputation which may not appeal to those who are promoting themselves for paying gigs.
And yes the SEO is not there which also would tie into business needs.
But it works well for a worldwide critique of your stuff and it plays well with flickr, twitter, and facebook. It's also very image heavy, popular with photographers and designers, not too many mommy blogs on there. My favorites to follow are Tokyo Camera Style, Life magazine, Memory Radio, mypentapics,Postcards from America, Hillbilly Magazine, Eat Sleep Draw, Photojojo,etc. etc. along with a bunch of bicycle blogs.
Here's everything tagged Pentax on Tumblr for those interestedtheres good, bad, and ugly on there
Anyway I can't believe i'm defending a social media site on an internet forum, ugh

11-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
shame indeed!

sighs. the worlds going to end soon either way. don't stress