Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Wedding Photographers, where do you get your pose ideas ?

Im just starting out doing wedding photography. This came about because I did a few for people I know then got recommended by them to do a couple more and people saw my photography and suggested i start up myself. Im just advertising on facebook at the moment starting off small but my big worry is thinking of all the different poses. I know this seems trivial but its a huge worry for me. Ive had a look online at different styles ect....

Where do others get thier ideas from ?

Here are a few ive taken

10-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there are many books on this, you can even find some online in pdf format. There are also blogs.
I think many wedding photographers basically get this down to a science. They learn a couple poses for different body and personality types, for different lighting and spaces, and then just use those, with one or two inspired, spontaneous shots.
10-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've shot a couple of weddings for friends & family, I've learned that :
- during the ceremony and reception, your photographic skills are most exercised
- during formals (and B&G time), posing skills are most important (assuming a level of photographic expertise).

For me, it helps to have someone with me, helping with the poses. Because my weddings are few and far between, I usually spend the week or so before reviewing some of the current wedding photographer sites, looking for ideas. Sometimes I'll keep a couple of ideas on my smartphone to show the party. This especially helps when I run out of ideas, my wife quickly flips through the smartphone and finds something to try.

I also read through "Benji Rules of Portraiture" (google it), and have a couple of books on posing.