Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black Friday

Being a Canadian, I know nothing about this day, other than sales
Does anyone expect the K5 to be on sale?
Would the sales be online?

Thanks
Randy

11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The K-5 is now discounted to $800 at Adorama, and has been officially discontinued. There might not be any left to discount further on Black Friday (the day after US Thanksgiving). Don't wait, if that's what you want ("no matter what she says").

But yes, frequently the sales are also online (and there's "cyber-monday" and other variants).
11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 is already down to $799. I doubt the K-5 II will be discounted as it is too new and there are still K-5s in the channel.
11-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax has got to announce some deals- I'm hoping for at least 100 off the new K-5 II's (considering that its production cost is probably the same as that of its predecessor, there's nothing preventing Pentax from a 1-day price drop similar to the one we saw with the K-5 )

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax has got to announce some deals- I'm hoping for at least 100 off the new K-5 II's (considering that its production cost is probably the same as that of its predecessor, there's nothing preventing Pentax from a 1-day price drop similar to the one we saw with the K-5 )
It's hard to believe that changes to a algorithm and some tweaks took 2 years and costs hundreds more than the old model.
It seems like the K5IIs is more of a "catch up" to the big 2 instead of it being a true update

Just my 2 cents

Randy
11-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
It's hard to believe that changes to a algorithm and some tweaks took 2 years and costs hundreds more than the old model. It seems like the K5IIs is more of a "catch up" to the big 2 instead of it being a true update Just my 2 cents Randy
You're paying for the R&D costs, not the hardware

And yup, they're way behind. I wouldn't call this catch-up at all, though the filterless design in a DX DSLR is an interesting move...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And yup, they're way behind. I wouldn't call this catch-up at all, though the filterless design in a DX DSLR is an interesting move...
Aren't they way behind stuff we're still waiting to be announced from Canon and Nikon? The D7000 and 7D are still current models with no replacement.

I can relate to this perception, but I'm wondering how it holds up in practice. We have no idea what Pentax is doing behind "the magic curtain" right now. Only Sony has actually updated their premium APS-C models recently.

I'm not defending Pentax - in fact I'm very concerned they may not be significantly improving their AF and flash performance right now. But how do we know this isn't already happening? I think we may sometimes expect Pentax to produce the world's only "super camera" - better AF than Canon's best model, continued low-light and high-ISO supremacy, AA filterless (even when only one other such consumer model exists in the world) perfect flash and strobe performance and compatibility, excellent color rendering, the best DR, and the most affordable lenses. The funny thing is, Pentax actually comes surprisingly close.

Last edited by DSims; 11-05-2012 at 07:27 PM.
11-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've always done ok on Black Friday. I bought my K10D several years ago on that day. While the camera price was about average, the store was giving Sigma 70-300's free with a DSLR purchase. I bought my K5 last year when it dipped under $1000 for the first time. There always the risk of waiting and finding that what you want isn't on sale or sold out which may be the case this year with the K5's. I can't see them going much below the $799 current price but somebody may put together a bundle with a lens or other items to sweeten the deal.

11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
It's hard to believe that changes to a algorithm and some tweaks took 2 years and costs hundreds more than the old model.
You're comparing the cost of the discontinued K-5 to the cost of the II and IIs, which have just been released. The new K-5 versions actually cost hundreds of dollars below the introductory price of the K-5, which IIRC was about $1700.