Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photog Claims Major Designer Used Her Photo on Clothing Without Permission

Here is an interesting article about a photographer seeing her photograph show up on a dress and shopping bag....
QuoteQuote:
Photographer Jessica Nichols‘ most popular photograph on her Flickr account (above left) is titled “Loads of Ranunculus” and has more than 10,000 views. Nichols got a nasty shock a year ago when she discovered that American fashion designer Chris Benz had apparently turned the photo into numerous clothing designs for his Spring 2012 line, without Nichols’ knowing and/or permission. Since July of this year, Nichols has been fighting against the infringement in an attempt to get the designer to pay up.

11-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, but on my screen it looks like those are 2 different pics. Then again, I'm only browsing from my phone would suck if this was indeed infringement!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adam - click the gif at the end.
11-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup.

Clothing designer did a copy-paste-profit.

The photographer should basically own anything he did with that photo now.

11-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Seems like if Amazon is selling, essentially stolen property, e.g. the flower image, then they could also be sued for continuing to sell that stolen property once they have been informed of the rightful owner.

Might also be useful to get an independent filmmaker involved to take video for a documentary on stolen images, ala Michael Moore's films.
11-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What is depressing about this pretty blatant theft is that the original image as posted to flickr was only 500 x 751 pixels at it's largest size. Yet even that low-res original wasn't enough to discourage the theft, since for the purpose of stealing it (printing on fabric), a small image was still good enough to use.

I put most of my stuff on flickr at a maximum of 800 pixels on the longest side in part to discourage this sort of misuse, but clearly even that is not discouragement enough. Sigh.

This case also riles me because you apparently have this affluent clothing designer trying to rip-off an unknown amateur photog, even though the designer could easily afford a license fee for the photograph. But he was too cheap, and also probably thought no one would notice.
11-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
How about the florist that arranged that bouquet - can they claim that their design was stolen?

11-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
How about the florist that arranged that bouquet - can they claim that their design was stolen?
Nope, IIRC, the type of things that can be copyrighted is limited to some degree - flower arranging is not one of the qualifying activities.