Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Did someone say photobomb?
Great shot, I think the cow is laughing at you!

Phil.

11-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yep, and I think the Photo-Bombers know that there is no way to prove intent. Kinda like "Me? In your Shot? Well, I was just walking along, the nerve of you to suggest that I am doing this on purpose!"

In the "denial" and "feigned ignorance" these Photo-Bombers forget that as a photographer, we see the same behavior over and over.

I'd love to see/hear about how others have "documented" these incidents!
I travel a lot and the majority of “locals” are very nice when they see you trying to take a picture and wait for you to finish. This is basically true for all the continents I’ve been to.

Most tourist photographers are also very nice as they are dealing with the same issue.

The problems I’ve had with people jumping in front of you when you’re shooting are mostly with the folks on “out of country” tour buses. They sometimes act like wild animals swarming an area and have no regard of locals or other tourists already there. If I see a group I just give up and go elsewhere or wait till they leave.

Not sure on the reasons why these people are so bad, it might be because of their rushed schedules (14 countries in 7 days) or that they a paid a lot for the tour and are “entitled” more than you.

Phil.
11-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do think there is a tendency to ignore others as a form of being polite, oddly enough. But I just had a funny idea ....

Instead of asking them to step aside for a moment, pretend to ask them for a little help -- I'll bet most people would be happy to step around to your side of the camera, to hold a flash unit in their hand, or aim a light meter or reflector towards the subject. They don't need to know it isn't turned on, or isn't otherwise doing anything.

And then, once you have tricked them into being an impromptu "assistant", then maybe they can yell at the next person who steps into your scene.
11-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #34
Pentaxian

1. Put camera on tripod and compose your shot

2. Use a remote so you don't have to touch it and don't look like you are constantly shooting

3. Note where the people are and shoot frames when they move.

4. As long as you've got at least one frame of each area with no one in it, you can stack the frames and easily remove the people in PP.

With this method, you can take shots of areas that ALWAYS have at least a few people as if no one is there.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 11-30-2012 at 06:01 PM.
11-30-2012, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
1. Put camera on tripod and compose your shot

2. Use a remote so you don't have to touch it and don't look like you are constantly shooting

3. Note where the people are and shoot frames when they move.

4. As long as you've got at least one frame of each area with no one in it, you can stack the frames and easily remove the people in PP.

With this method, you can take shots of areas that ALWAYS have at least a few people as if no one is there.
Yep. Definitely a technique I have used in the past.
12-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like it's simply a case of too many people, photographers or otherwise, chasing after too little scenery.

The UK has a population of 660 people/sq mi. My rural county here in the upper midwest of the USA is 20 people/sq mi.
I can go out into the countryside and never be bothered by people all day. As a bird photographer it's perfect for me.
12-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Sounds to me like it's simply a case of too many people, photographers or otherwise, chasing after too little scenery.

The UK has a population of 660 people/sq mi. My rural county here in the upper midwest of the USA is 20 people/sq mi.
I can go out into the countryside and never be bothered by people all day. As a bird photographer it's perfect for me.
Wow..660 people/sq mi? Where did you get that statistic?
12-01-2012, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wow..660 people/sq mi? Where did you get that statistic?
It seemed like a lot to me, too (never mention numbers around an engineer! ); Wikipedia gives it as 661.9 and just grabbing numbers from Google (UK 2011 population 62.6 million, area 94,060 sq. miles) and doing the math myself gave me 665.

12-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It seemed like a lot to me, too (never mention numbers around an engineer! ); Wikipedia gives it as 661.9 and just grabbing numbers from Google (UK 2011 population 62.6 million, area 94,060 sq. miles) and doing the math myself gave me 665.
Not sure about the numbers, but try Manila

it's a mixed thing here too. Though most of the time people will jump into a scene when a camera's pointed at something and no person seems to be in the frame. A lot of people here think every photograph should be a portrait...
12-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

People seem to be a lil more considerate in my community, or in Canada in general maybe? I usually find fellow Edmontonians to be very rude. Even when I visit Calgary I find that my home town is populated with jerks...and Calgary is a bigger city that many of the people in my community think is the city with the ego... yea not so much.

I did a lot of tripod street shots in November, and when people saw me setting up, not one hovered in frame. A few came over to chat, but they were patient and tried really hard not to disturb me. A couple that was hanging out on a look-out point I was shooting, and I actually wanted their silhouets in the photo gave me a quick wave and moved on within a couple of minutes. They even came up to say hi and ask if they could see what I was seeing. So generally... I think were not too bad around here.
12-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It depends what part of England you're in as well.

As an example, New Jersey has a population density of about 1,200 people per mile, but if you wind up somewhere along the Delaware Bay or the middle of the Pine Barrens, you could be lucky to see more then a handful of people at any given time.
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
It depends what part of England you're in as well.

As an example, New Jersey has a population density of about 1,200 people per mile, but if you wind up somewhere along the Delaware Bay or the middle of the Pine Barrens, you could be lucky to see more then a handful of people at any given time.
Certainly, it's just a lot more than I am used to. From a me-centric PoV, Virginia + North Carolina have about the same square mileage as the UK, but less than a third of the population (and yet sometimes they still seem too crowded! ).
12-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Certainly, it's just a lot more than I am used to. From a me-centric PoV, Virginia + North Carolina have about the same square mileage as the UK, but less than a third of the population (and yet sometimes they still seem too crowded! ).
Thats like Maine. This state is largely open wilderness, but if you tried finding a people free stretch along the coast during the summer... forget about it.
12-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Try 18,000 people per square mile!

However, much of HK's land is country parks, so the urban density is more like 75,000 per square mile.

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 12-02-2012 at 12:14 AM.
12-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Not sure about the numbers, but try Manila

it's a mixed thing here too. Though most of the time people will jump into a scene when a camera's pointed at something and no person seems to be in the frame. A lot of people here think every photograph should be a portrait...
Philippines is just under 800 people per square mile, though Manila alone is nearly 40,000.