Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #46
Veteran Member

This is one of my favorite spots for bird shots. Never a soul there. I have never seen an obvious human disturbance in all the years I have been going there other than the beaver taking down a small tree now and again. The stream is spring fed and has a native population brook trout.

Where is it? It's the family farm that's been in my family since the American Civil War.

There's some advantages to living in "flyover country" and as far as I'm concerned you can keep right on flying over.

Last edited by wildman; 12-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.
12-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
This is one of my favorite spots for bird shots. Never a soul there. I have never seen an obvious human disturbance in all the years I have been going there other than the beaver taking down a small tree now and again. The stream is spring fed and has a native population brook trout.

Where is it? It's the family farm that's been in my family since the American Civil War.

There's some advantages to living in "flyover country" and as far as I'm concerned you can keep right on flying over.
What a beautiful and tranquil scene. Even more striking to me is how clean & pristine it is. It's a definite improvement over what I encounter here in the most densely populated state (NJ) in the US. Although I have the software tools for it, I rarely clone out all the garbage & litter that detract from the beauty I'm photographing. Instead, I keep taking more shots hoping to chance upon a scene that won't require extensive retouching .
12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the feeling, but I rather like it when people are in the scene; at least it gives a sense of scale. I don't like it when people in the scene are wearing colors that don't go with the scene.
12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I have never seen an obvious human disturbance...other than the beaver...
Theodore Cleaver?

12-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Visiting the Grand Canyon is awesome, but it's easy to lose perspective, until you pull out a pair of binoculars and find people hiking along the trails. Same thing for Half-Dome at Yosemite National Park, it's just a big rock until you notice the tiny little dots are people scaling the rock face. So I'd agree it is nice to have people in the shot sometimes.
12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife and I travel quite a bit, and photography is a big part of the travel. Connie likes to wait until there is nobody else in the scene and then takes her picture. I like having the people in the scene. Sometimes she gets what she wants; sometimes I get what I want. Combined, we come out with a nice set of photos.
12-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Theodore Cleaver?
"Justin"

12-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Did someone say photobomb?
hahahahaha
12-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #54
Pentaxian

oooh dont get me started on this...

I had one opportunity to get a shot of the Hotel Del Coronado and ran out to the beach with my gear, waded a good ways out and set up my gear for the shot. Two women and their kids were nowhere to be found when I set up and then suddenly they moved right in front of me...and stayed...and stayed. I lost the light and shouted at them to please move but they acted like they couldnt hear me. So, I missed my shot and went home. Here is a long exposure i attempted to try to blur them out.

12-07-2012, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

of course, sometimes i am unwilling to jump out of somebody's shot, and one guy asked me to move away once, so I replied, "I'm here to give it some scale..."

Then last month I set up at the mouth of a lava cave in Maui and was opening the shutter when several young women just walked right in front of me and into the cave entrance. One asked, "were you taking a picture?" and I responded, "No, I'm waiting for the bear to come out." They all screamed.
12-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
oooh dont get me started on this...

I had one opportunity to get a shot of the Hotel Del Coronado and ran out to the beach with my gear, waded a good ways out and set up my gear for the shot. Two women and their kids were nowhere to be found when I set up and then suddenly they moved right in front of me...and stayed...and stayed. I lost the light and shouted at them to please move but they acted like they couldnt hear me. So, I missed my shot and went home. Here is a long exposure i attempted to try to blur them out.
This is EXACTLY what I am talking about!!!
What do you think was the psychology here?

12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Attention whores. They think you are a pro, that you will get paid for the shot, and they will make some money / get attention for being in the shot.
12-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Attention whores. They think you are a pro, that you will get paid for the shot, and they will make some money / get attention for being in the shot.
I doubt they think they are going to get anything for it, just don't want to be bothered with being imposed upon to not stand where they want to stand at that moment. People do not give a crap about anyone else these days -- it doesn't occur to them to even consider anyone else. I think many people are not even capable of it anymore because they've grown up their whole lives as narcissists. 50 years ago everyone was repressed, now it is the opposite. Unfortunately, while a repressed person can be taught to open themselves up, there is no cure for narcissism -- they missed that whole area of development and there is no going back.

That doesn't mean every person standing in your shot is a jerk, of course -- you are imposing by expecting anyone to not get it your way after all when they have a perfect right to be there...
12-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Then last month I set up at the mouth of a lava cave in Maui and was opening the shutter when several young women just walked right in front of me and into the cave entrance. One asked, "were you taking a picture?" and I responded, "No, I'm waiting for the bear to come out." They all screamed.

LOVE IT!!!! Then you had a clean shot? Cliff
12-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #60
Inactive Account

This seems apt.
Attached Images