Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It happens with more homogeneous societies also. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and excuse their rudeness as stupidity Maybe I'm a misanthrope?
I doubt it. I think other people simply disappoint you from time to time. Generous and courteous people are often disappointed when others don't live up to the standards they set for themselves. The hard part is to carry on.

11-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's my small contribution . . .

30 June 2012
Boeing Field, Seattle, WA.

The Super Guppy was coming to Seattle, and I'd never seen one flying or even airworthy. As a plane fanatic and photographer I had to get down there to see and photograph this plane. The weather was abysmal when I set out. It was abysmal during the trip down. But it was just perfect for the arrival of the Guppy, following which it turned lousy again all the way back home. Got the shots I wanted though! It was bringing the largest piece of the Space Shuttle Trainer to the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Now we had no idea which end it would come in from, so I chose the North end and my dad chose the South end so we would get decent photos of it. Scheduled arrival was 12:00, so I got to the North end at 11:15 (to beat the crowd) and set up for the wait. Another gentleman joined me. Nice guy, friendly, also with a good DSLR and an aviation enthusiast. We were located on a grassy patch with a slight bank so we could see over the fence for clear shots. The road was immediately (6-8ft) in front of us. Few cars, few people.

Now as the time approached the people grew more numerous, and one particularly aggravating individual stood right in front of this gentleman I was enjoying conversation with. When the aircraft appeared in the distance, my (new) friend politely asked the man to move a few feet to the side as he was in the way of some decent shots. The reply was a sharp "I've got every right to be here! Why don't YOU move?" Not wanting to make too much of an issue about it but appealing to the man's senses he mentioned "I've been here for an hour (plane was late) and I've got a camera for some decent shots." The reply (which still slays me) was "I've got a camera too!", whereupon he reached into his baggy shorts pocket and pulled out . . . an . . . iPhone. It was at this point we all realized the battle was lost and proceeded to shift a few feet to the left just to avoid an extremely aggressive and confrontational local.

So I had my usual setup with P&S mounted on top of my SLR so I could capture video and stills concurrently. As the plane came closer it was apparent it wasn't landing and this was just a flyby. Good thing too, because as it was over the perimeter fence, a Subaru station wagon pulled up right in front of me and three screaming kids quickly got out and, with the assistance of mom climbed onto the roof and stood on the vehicle blocking my whole view and ruining any video and stills I could have hoped for. I was n-o-t very happy, and let them know this with a very loud and polite "Thanks". They climbed down, got in the car, and drove off. The saving grace of course was that the plane did a circuit and came in to land.

Winner.

Got the shots. But boy was it tense and stressful, and I got there over an hour beforehand to make sure and there are still people out there who can ruin it for you despite your best planning!

And please tell me if you think an iPhone could capture shots like this one:

11-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
And please tell me if you think an iPhone could capture shots like this one:

Yes, you can... Difference is that the picture will look like s**t, similar to the "photographer".. LoL!
11-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All these stories sure makes me glad I shoot in the woods on my own property!