Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #1

I have no idea what I'm doing

I just sort of fell into photography. I attend women at births, so I thought to myself, "Hey I should get a nice camera and take nice pictures. I could sell them to my clients." And so I did. I ended up working with these midwives who are doing some amazing things in my city, so I started taking pictures of them while they were working. Somehow I ended up published in some medical journals, blogs, and a couple of websites. Since then, more medical professionals in the area have asked if I can do some work for them. I've also been approached by some folks to do photography for their blogs. My husband is starting a web design business for the Anglican Church in the North America (hubs is a priest) and he has asked me if I would like to do photos for the websites. This means that my photos will be present across the country. And I'm starting, pretty much tomorrow, ha. It's intimidating a bit. It seems like work is just falling into my lap! But I really wasn't expecting this! I still feel like I have so much to learn. I've only had my camera for two years, I shoot with a k-x, nothing fancy, and while much of this comes naturally, there's still lots of technical stuff to learn. I end up with really nice pictures most of the time, and people seem to like them, but I'm just sort of getting these pictures willy nilly. I have folks knocking down my door to work, and I've been putting it off for a while mainly just because I don't know what I'm doing. Birth photos are easy: I take the pictures and sell them to the clients. I ask permission for the ones I want to keep and use for my website and that is that.

I guess I'm looking for some direction and some "how to's". I don't know the route to go about taking photos for blogs/websites/etc. Is it the same as what I'm currently doing? I don't know when it is good to watermark and when it is not (so far, I've been given credit in caption and I do not watermark). I don't know how to set my prices to reflect the market. In birth work, you price yourself based on how many years you've been working/how many births you have attended/how much you have to pay for back up should you not be able to make it (since most of the work is on call). It seems photography is more market based or something like that. Not sure how to charge people.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. Anyhow, I am counting my blessings. This is a wonderful problem to have. I have many friends who have struggled for years to live by their cameras, and I'm thankful that my little white k-x has proved to be more than just a buddy.

Anyhow- thanks for any guidance y'all can give. I appreciate any fingers pointed in any direction. I've been googling, but sometimes you can google a topic to death and end up in a muddy puddle of useless information and that's where I feel like I am currently sitting.

12-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I t sounds like you are doing pretty well. I'm not a pro so I can't give you any business advice. Your work must be good enough and reasonably priced to have it falling into your lap. This forum has a wealth of knowledge in it, and many outstanding photographers that can help on any various subject. Adam, the web site owner here has been encouraging how to articles, which can be found in a link at the top of the forum, these are helpful. Aniother good thing is to post photos in the critique section, you'll get good advice. There is a lot here, you just have to take it a bit at a time.
12-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Banned

The OP has luck, as she has demand from paying customers. I have the problem where I have demand for my pics, but unwillingness to pay, with the typical line of how it will be good exposure in exchange.
12-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
The OP has luck, as she has demand from paying customers. I have the problem where I have demand for my pics, but unwillingness to pay, with the typical line of how it will be good exposure in exchange.
Ha. I get that too. And I will take free photos for very SPECIAL people (not just anyone). But those times are few and far between. My time is precious. I have 4 kids to look out for and take care of. I just say no. But I am VERY VERY thankful for the business that comes my way. My blessings are counted every day.

12-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #5

I can't help with the business end of things, but there is a course at the Teaching Company you should look at that may help with the technical end. You may have seen the Teaching Company ads, they basically repackage undergraduate level courses on tape and DVD. I've done several of their philosophy, history and science courses, they're excellent.

Joe Satore of National Geographic has now put together a 'Fundamentals of Photography' course, and it appears to be pretty comprehensive. Check it out, it's on sale too:

Fundamentals of Photography

Good luck!
Pete
12-01-2012, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First off, congratulations on your success, it seems like you've found a calling here and you shouldn't let self-doubt get in your way. God got you this far, and there’s no reason that won't continue. I've had my own business and it's tough to figure out the details like you're asking about, pricing, etc. when it's coming at you all at once. For pricing, I would call around to photographers in your area (as if you were a potential customer) and ask about pricing, or maybe they have pricing posted on their web site. (I did that for my business and it was a great shortcut.) This way you know you're at least competitive with price without being unreasonable. But let me add this, it seems like you have a niche market, so you have some flexibility in some of your business practices (you know, who else are they gonna call?). This allows you to go up a bit in pricing and don't be afraid to do it. I have a great book entitled "The Big Idea" by Donny Deutsch (might be a good read for you) and among other things he talks about the perils of setting price early in your business. You want to make money, you have to be fair and competitive but if you set your pricing too low in the beginning it can be tough to move it up where you want it, especially if you’re getting a lot of referral business, because people already have an idea of what you charge from the friend who gave them your card.

I built my business with nothing but referrals (I did home repairs, handyman work, lots of painting – commercial and residential). It sounds like you have a fantastic word of mouth marketing going and it’s GOLD!! It’s the premise of the Facebook and Twitter thing, all businesses thrive on word of mouth because it’s free and (in my experience) when people call you they are 90% ready to be YOUR customer. You just have to seal the deal with price, schedule or some other matter that’s important to them. You're in an intimate business dealing with women and such, and as your success has proven, people trust you. This too is to your advantage. It’s a gift and keep on making it a part of your business.

Let me add here that you are doing people a service. You’re not screwing them out of their money or taking advantage of them. Business gets a bad rap about greed and all that. These people, your customers, want to remember “the moment” and your pictures make that happen. Web sites are nothing without images and that’s your contribution. Doctors and medical people are very busy and if they can make one call to you and trust a referral you’re doing them a favor. These people know they are going to spend money. They need to spend money to get what they want, so if it’s not you they give it to they will find someone else. Don’t feel guilty for being successful and profitable.

Here are a few things I did that worked very well:

Get free business cards through Vista Prints (you only pay shipping). I’ve done business with people who didn’t have a card and I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to refer them but couldn’t. For instance, who remembers the name of the guy who painted the house number on the curb in front of your house several months after the fact. The guy missed out. (On this business card thing, no kidding, I got a call from a Realtor referral two years after I shut down my business – my cards were still floating around working their magic. It’ll work for you too.) Keep cards in your cars, in your purse, where ever. You never know whom you might be talking to and there’s a chance to market your business.

Reward people who refer business to you. When someone would call me and say “I got your number from so and so”, I would make a note of it. After the job was set-up or done I would buy a Starbucks card for $10 and send it in a thank you note to the person who gave the referral. Now I’m not a coffee guy, I hate the smell and taste, but give me a Starbucks gift card and I’ll just hand it to my wife. Now we’re both happy. I guarantee the card will get used, so it’s a win-win.

Use electronic tools like e-mail. People do personal stuff at work, right. So someone calls you on their break and wants some information, ask them if you can email it and then set up a time to get back with them after they’ve reviewed the info. Always follow up even if they don't call you back. I used to send out estimates (in PDF) and I don’t think a lot of Contractor types were doing it based on the reaction I got from people. People want to get the ball rolling and this gets you in front of them quickly. I used Quickbooks and it has great tools in it for making estimates, have your own logo on forms, all that. Have a web page, as a Photographer I would expect it and I’m sure others would too. If you can afford it, or have a friend you can swap services with, have someone else do the web site. It’s very time consuming and you obviously have plenty to do.

On the Quickbooks/accounting note: I was given this advice and didn’t take it (and I should have), but when you get super busy working your photography you will have little time to come home and “do the books”. The accounting stuff is obviously required so think about farming some of it out to give you some personal time after you’re done shooting for the day.

Call people back. It sounds so simple doesn’t it? I called a woman who left a message on my cell once and we set up a time to meet to get an estimate of the work (which I ended up doing). She said I was the only person who called her back in three months of calling a Contrator.

Be on time. No one is ever on time it seems. I used to laugh because I would show up for the first day of painting at the designated time (say, 8:30 AM) and the folks would answer the door in a bathrobe or something they had to throw on. “I didn’t think you’d be here at 8:30!!” When I went the next day (and days after) they were always dressed and ready to answer the door. People will screw you over by being late themselves, and no one likes that, but when you’re on time it shows you're professional.

Time is everything. Wow did I learn this. The more efficient you can be with your day and schedule the better everything is. Running around is the killer. Have all the tools with you and ready to go. Get in and out efficiently and you’ll save time, clients will see how professional you are and you can squeeze more business into the month without sacrificing your personal time.

Once in a while… don’t schedule stuff on a Friday. You don’t have a boss so just tell yourself you want a day off. It’s a great feeling. Who cares how much money you could make that day. Just enjoy a long weekend.

Keep your business as debt-free as possible.

Be honest with people. I was an honest Contractor (an oxymoron some say) but it worked for me, helped my business and I slept at night.

I too have a K-x. I love it and it’s fun, but from what I’ve read here you will certainly need to move up in the camera department. Sounds like a K-5 series is in your future. Wait till you can pay cash and you’ll feel less stressed about the purchase.

I’ll close with this. Good luck, trust God, and trust the skills you’ve built thus far. Don’t be afraid to take on something you haven’t done. People don’t need to know how much you do or don’t know in your business or photography. Don’t give away your weaknesses and don't tell folks you just started your business if they don't ask. Just act like, “ya’, I got this, no problem” and people will see the confidence and trust you to do the work. (I once helped coached a kids basketball team, and when I told some friends what I was doing they said “what the heck do you know about basketball!”, “more than a ten year old” was my answer. You know more than the average person about photography, so that makes you the right person for the job!) Lastly, the reason you don’t know everything is because nobody starts out with ALL the knowledge in a given occupation, it will come in time.

But most of all – have fun.

Signed, Ron Schachner
12-01-2012, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thank you so much for this wonderful advice! When it comes to marketing and customer service, I totally have got that in the bag. I own my own doula business (which is how I got started in photography in the first place), and have a great set up going as far as finances and marketing are concerned. I'm also proud to say that my husband and I live our lives debt free (aside from our student loans). My husband's two businesses along with mine are both debt free. It's such a stress free and lovely way to live. Honestly, I'm horrible with money. My husband worked at a bank for a few years and became some sort of financial genius. So he gladly manages my business money, and I am so thankful for him!

I'm excited to say that a K-5 is in my near future. I break out my manual and photography books (I love picking up whatever books I can find at the thrift store) about once a month to make sure I'm using my camera to the best of my ability, and I feel like I've outgrown it a while ago. I've picked up some of my friend's entry level Canons and Nikons and I'm so thankful that I started on Pentax. The K-x was just so simple an easy to learn on. But I do feel like I'm ready to toss my training wheels out the door and use a big girl camera. I homeschool my kids, and I think the K-x will be the perfect tool for them to use for their photography classes that I give them. Since they are so young, they are using a simple point and shoot, but my daughter who is 8, will be learning to use the DSLR hopefully in the fall. She loves making movies with her point and shoot, and I can't wait to see what she can do with the K-x. Oh wow- did I rabbit trail?! Ha.

All of that being said, my grey area of clarity comes in at professionally presenting my services in publications (are watermarks mandatory? are captions sufficient?), how to charge for the pictures taken for websites (what kind of photography is this called so I can google it? Is it stock photos? or do i charge per hour for the shoot?), and I guess the same question for blogs? Since I already have jobs set up pretty much over the next year, I just need to give myself a rate. I will be doing simple shoots on location in most circumstances. I am also a "less is more" kinda gal in the equipment department, so hopefully won't require much of that. I also know that many others have come before me and I am a good southern girl who has been taught to respect my elders. I love learning from the wisdom of those who have traveled roads before me in efforts to learn from their mistakes and so forth.

Thanks again for taking time to offer me advice.

12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol well if you are getting work, you must be doing something right