Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ca-Nikon to stop making crop sensor higher end cams

Are Canon and Nikon killing off their best crop-sensor DSLRs? | ExtremeTech

Interesting article above. Nothing new from what has been discussed in these forums but rather well summarized I thought. Especially if Pentax is thinking of making a higher end apsc camera to follow the K5 II. Maybe they will fill a niche for a while, at least as long as FF camera lenses remain expensive.

[Personally I am watching the competition from other end of the full frame, i.e, waiting for the micro 4/3 cameras to improve some more for me to go even smaller in my kit than what a crop sensor can...Need the EVF to get much better though].

12-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With the launch of the D600 I'm thinking that Nikon isn't going to be making any more pro DX cameras like the D300s. That's fair enough, though, and you're right- it gives Pentax a great opportunity, not that they're going to take advantage of it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What would happen with the sensors then? Canon makes their own so that's nothing new but for makers like Sony to loose the market Nikon brings would probably affect the development of crop sensors. The only thing I can think of that can keep that market up is the mirrorless market, but how will that affect DSLR scene if the sensors becomes specifically developed for short flange distance?
12-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Nikon's DX line was always an afterthought. The hardest part of shooting Nikon DX is having a bag full of FX lenses.

12-09-2012, 12:26 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

In 2014, Pentax Forums will write a letter to Pentax lobbying them to make a crop format camera.
You heard it here first.
12-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
What would happen with the sensors then? Canon makes their own so that's nothing new but for makers like Sony to loose the market Nikon brings would probably affect the development of crop sensors. The only thing I can think of that can keep that market up is the mirrorless market, but how will that affect DSLR scene if the sensors becomes specifically developed for short flange distance?
As CaNikon will keep using APS-C sensors in entry level DSLR, it will not make much change in sensor manufacturing. Pro DSLR with APS-C sensors is probably something like 10-15% of the whole APS-C DSLR market.
12-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know. A lot of people are clamoring for a D7000 replacement and canon has the 7d mk2 coming. So clearly canikon still sees a market. Lots of people have aps-c glass too. I'm sure they are making eventual steps to 100% full frame, but the cost really has to come down in the mean time....

12-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
As CaNikon will keep using APS-C sensors in entry level DSLR, it will not make much change in sensor manufacturing. Pro DSLR with APS-C sensors is probably something like 10-15% of the whole APS-C DSLR market.
Still that development is for cheap cameras not high end ones. Though they can still become test subjects to new tech for future FF sensors.
12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The 7D/D7000 have been popular cameras from Canikon, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't replace them. Things seem to be plateauing a bit so perhaps that's why they've let them run for so long....though both cameras are certainly not perfect.

I wonder what the D600/6D will be priced at towards the end of their production runs. That could certainly impact sales on the 7DII etc. APS-C will be squeezed from the bottom too by m4/3.
12-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With the launch of the D600 I'm thinking that Nikon isn't going to be making any more pro DX cameras like the D300s. That's fair enough, though, and you're right- it gives Pentax a great opportunity, not that they're going to take advantage of it.
Will Nikon's lower end pro-sumer bodies be up to par with the D300 bodies? I am talking about things including shutters.
12-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This would make crop sensors more expensive. That's why I don't hope that Pentax is planning to stay in the APSC niche. Because eventually those APSC bodies will be even more expensive then the FF ones.
12-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's why I don't hope that Pentax is planning to stay in the APSC niche.
if you call "a niche" 90% of the market DSLR, then i hope Pentax will stay in it while we hope for a FF
12-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Eventually FF sensors will become cheap enough to put in low-end bodies, but that time is a long way off, minimum 10 years. Even then, an APS-C sensor with the same technology will still be much cheaper.
12-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Will Nikon's lower end pro-sumer bodies be up to par with the D300 bodies? I am talking about things including shutters.
Doubt it- I'm thinking a D7100 or a D8000 would be more likely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Banned

Well I think Canon will bring a 7D Mark II. I do wonder if they will pop up an aps-h sensor in a camera in 2013, since there is a market for it in professional sportsimages.