Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I keep telling people I know that fine, study what you like or what your dream is, but dual major (or at least minor) in something that is a marketable skill. Most do not take that advice, and then whine about how they can't get a job or are working retail or fast food with a degree.
You can count on life to always prove wrong people's misconceptions about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Not everybody is wired for that though.
Some people can also get rewired. This seems to happen more frequently in poorer countries with fewer opportunities.

12-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But do people like that actually get rewired or just learn to endure? Just because you can learn to do something well doesn't mean you'll ever like it or be fulfilled by it. I'm a firm believer that true success means far more than a fat bank balance. I was great at sales but ultimately I'd burn out doing it and dread going to work. I got to the point where taking stomach meds was a daily thing. It made me very unhappy and ultimately probably made me sick. That kind of stress and discontent it's not healthy.
12-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think people doing things/jobs they dont like is a huge reason why the western world has so many new diseases, related to stress and psychological problems. Now, sure, a lot of us dont have the luxury to do what we would enjoy, but that really shouldnt be a luxury. You job is a huge part of your life, whether you like it or not, so it shouldnt be a negative influence.
12-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #19
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Ohh, I agree, everyone should be able to do what they enjoy. Unfortunately the business world says no to that. Products have to be produced, things have to be moved, advances have to be made. Another thing, without money you're not going to be able to get the things or do the things that make you happy. I used to be dirt poor, and even homeless at one time. I pulled myself up and out of that and now moke more than anyone I grew up with or in my family. Would I like to be able to travel and do photography? You bet I would! But then reality says no. Reality says I put my 40 hours per week in and do my job. Is it what I wanted to do as a kid? Nope. Does it give me a decent living? Yep. They say money doesn't buy you happiness, but being broke and poor sure does make you miserable!

You very rarely get to follow your dream. If you want success you adapt, overcome, and make the best of things. You don't worry too much about things you can't change. You do what is best for yourself, and if you have a family what is best for them as well. If you think you can't learn a skill do not give up. With time and effort you can. Think you can't do a job because it is beneath your dignity? I bet you could if the alternative was sleeping in your car and starving. Think a job is boring, tedious, and too repetitive? Well, staring at 4 walls because you don't have the money to put gas in your car to even hit the library and eating ramen noodles every day because you can't afford anything else is even more boring, tedious, and repetitive! I've been there, and I know from cold hard experience. That is why I tell people to go ahead and get schooling in wha ttheir dream is, but get a marketable skill as well.

12-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Banned

But do people like that actually get rewired or just learn to endure?
The rewiring I had in my mind is not a traumatic experience. It just means that you have to put a lot of effort into something that you cannot acquire easily at a point when you may not be mature enough to realize the long term benefits (as is the case for kids/adolescents). It means putting aside the short term quick gratification activities and spending your energy on an activity that you may not feel it's rewarding or glamorous but that you hope will pay off long term.

As an aside, I don't think I have ever met someone who could say they felt they were wired for math. The first thing that striked me when I came to US was the attitude towards math and the quality of the textbooks. I can write more about this, but I lack the time - I'll only say that it's very different from any other part of the world as far as I can tell.

Just because you can learn to do something well doesn't mean you'll ever like it or be fulfilled by it.
Well, this really depends only on the answer to the following questions - do you think that that work is worth doing and do you get a sense of self respect out of that work? That is the key question. Rewiring has nothing to do with it. You cannot get rewired to do something that you think is pointless or immoral - you'll just get stress from the internal conflict. But that's not the rewiring I was mentioning. Think of rewiring as training for a situation you don't yet understand, but you'll most likely have to deal with - like soldier training, if you like.
12-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

How many people ever end up working long careers in their major? I'm not a college guy but my wife and all my kids went to college. None of them work in their main field of undergraduate study except my youngest who majored in Environmental Science and she's looking to switch because there are no jobs that pay anything. A degree from a good Liberal Arts college will leave you well prepared to enter a lot of different fields.
12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think any job that pays you is not worth doing. I mean you have to eat, but there's a huge difference between just working for a paycheck and actually enjoying making a career out of something. I found both retail and office work just stupefyingly dull. I was good at both. I have serious computer skills and I can sell just about anything, manage anything. But I hated it and I don't think that I ever really found success in those fields because I just didn't care, because it was always just a job, a necessary paycheck. I probably would have kept on doing it for the money and the security my whole life if I had not gotten ill and been in a car accident. (and goodness what a waste of my life it would have been...) Between the two, the damage to my body, and the stress of management I just had to finally quit. I couldn't physically do either anymore.

It was a financial disaster. I ended up in major debt. Living with my parents for a while. I was on food stamps. I had to go through the whole fruitless quest for SSI/SSD something that did not work out no matter how many lawyers there were or doctors backing me up and that only made me more frustrated and sick. I average about 8-10 photo jobs a month now if I am lucky. I probably make less than most cashiers at Walmart, at least so far, but my bills are mostly paid, albeit it's a very tight month to month thing, paying my bills. I don't have a retirement fund or health insurance, and I can barely afford to keep the roof of my mobile home over my head, need a roommate to be able to actually, but oddly, I'm better off now than when I made near 50K managing two stores in a major city.

I love my job. I'm so much happier even though by the standards of many I'm not really seeking success. I'm mostly out of the rat race and it makes such a difference, it really does. I have my tense moments wondering if I am going to make my bills, and huge medical bills sans insurance scare me silly, but overall I think my quality of life is just far better. It wasn't enough for me to be working hard at a job I had skills for. I did that for 25 years and I was miserable. I had to love my job to finally be content with my life. There are still a lot of things I want to accomplish but I don't want to live that life anymore. I don't want to be the "go go girl" I was for most of my life. This is who I am. This is me, finally off the wheel, having fun and making some money and enjoying what's left of my life. Honestly? I wish I'd done this years ago. Because all that being practical and taking pride in whatever work I did ever got me was ulcers...
12-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

BA in Photography here.... but the only good it's ever done me was to get my foot in the door for jobs that required a BA... any BA... to qualify... Can't say it was a waste of money, because it helped get me into my current field, where I've made far far more money than I could have reasonably expected to make from shooting. Have to remember, that only the top few% of photographers make enough to live on just off of their photography.