Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I am trying to decide if I should delete my Instagram account and move all of my photos to Flickr. I have tried to put random IOS pictures on IG and the "good" stuff on Flickr.

When you sign up for Instagram you are probably agreeing to only upload pictures that you have the right to post, so if a model wants any kind of recourse against IG, they would have to go through the photographer since they were the original poster.

12-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #17

Name:  insta.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  51.1 KB
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I predict anyone with a shred of photographic talent is leaving that site. Good luck to Instagram in selling duck face photos and pictures of clouds... lots of clouds.
Don't forget cats.....lots, and lots, and lots of cats.
12-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
Who the hell cares, it's just a bunch of crap "photography" anyway. Maybe .0001% have some artistic merit...
We're not talking about art, we're talking about commercial marketing - world of difference IMHO.

12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
People often forget to thoroughly review the entire Terms of Service (tos) that they effectively check off & sign off on. It removes almst any legal remedy that one might have. That even if there is any type of legal effort left that one must also go to that site's home state to persue action.
12-18-2012, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a quick post on this late last night on another site. I did do a quick glance at their TOS, and what I find really amazing is that you need to be at least 13 years old to subscribe. You also have to indicate that you have your parents permission. So, when was the last time that a 13 year old could sign a legally binding contract giving up their rights and assigning the use of their property to some one else.

I find that quite amazing.....

12-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Forum Member

10 min ago they just retracted this statement... ask me if i believe them and my answer is no. Granted I never used instagram but its point is valid. It sets a precedent that any picture you upload via any software onto Facebook they own it... that's right, ITS NO LONGER YOURS. Could you see it now... Its like saying that i took a picture on my Pentax K5 and now Pentax owns it....
This is the second time Facebook has tried this and they are also in the middle of trying to buy some more "photo share" websites making more of your potential artwork and family photos no longer your property.... I ask you all to investigate this more and spread the word to stop this from happening
12-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #23

After reading this post, I've just deleted most of my photos of Farcebook and won't be putting any more on

12-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What Ads Will Look Like Once Instagram Sells Your Pictures from Erin Gibson

12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Social Media 101 . . . If you're not paying for the service, you are the product being sold.
12-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Social Media 101 . . . If you're not paying for the service, you are the product being sold.
But I'm not paying for this site....

Oh wait, I donate. Whew!
12-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading this entire two pages, I removed what photos i had on my facebook. And I've never used Instagram anyway.
12-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Amazing that people never question why sites like facebook have such high market valuations (admittedly not as high as first listing!) when all they (apparently) do is give friends a place to chat...
Facebook paid $1,000,000,000 for instagram - yet all it "apparently" does is make your photos look like you took them through a bucket of grease.

Well, it's because all your personal data is being mined and sold off for profit and for the purpose of identity fraud. You'd have to have rocks in your head to use facebook.
12-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #30

Others have already mentioned it but everyone needs to read the terms of service before signing up and joining sites that are driven solely on user contributed content.

If you have material that you want to show online you need to set up a website that you are the owner of. You don't own your Facebook profile, Facebook does. Facebook is not a free website that they are giving you out of the kindness of zuckerberg's heart. It is a social networking media website and you the user are suppling the content.

I will be honest and say that I didn't bother reading the terms of service agreement but I am willing to bet that anything you have up there (while it is up there) is already signed off for them to use as your photo is occupying their property. This is probably Facebook and instagrams way of letting everyone know that they plan on activlely using users content more often in the future.