Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What camera, that you intend to buy, do you want Ricoh/Pentax to come out with next?
#1: Full Frame (35mm) Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera 4712.88%
#2: Full Frame (35mm) digital SLR camera 20054.79%
#3: Medium Format digital SLR camera (to supercede 645D) 51.37%
#4: APS-C Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera 133.56%
#5: APS-C digital SLR camera to supercede the K-5 8623.56%
#6: Other camera (please elaborate) 143.84%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting post regarding phone interview with Jim Malcolm

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/208668-pentax-wants-he...ml#post2224941

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Talked to him today, 30 minutes call.
We talked a lot about the brazilian market and how the company intends to grow in South America, i talked about Nikon's representative company, i've been told that they're interested in bringing Pentax to Brazil, and he told me to e-mail and give him the company's contact information.
We also talked about how i got into Pentax, even though there is no support here, and i said that i read the reviews that said Pentax was a great brand, etc.
About the fullframe, he said that one of the reason why the fullframe is taking so long is that now they're cheap, and it was a sudden change. Fullframe cameras were expensive and for pros, and suddenly they became much more affordable, and they couldn't handle the price change like that, so they're trying to see what they will have to do to get a reasonably priced FF in the market.
I told him that people want a uncrippled mount, and asked him if there were any plans for that. He said he couldn't confirm it nor deny it, but they said they are creating a camera to try to please the loyal Pentax community.
We talked about the K-01 and K-30, he said that the K-01 was already finished when Ricoh assumed, and they couldn't do anything about it, but it is a nice camera. The K-30 was still being developed, but they couldn't make the engineers start from scratch, so they just tweaked it.
He told me to stay tuned this month, and he said that right after we talked about CES...maybe something products are coming?

01-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #167
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
the public wouldn't know what they wanted till he had designed it.
I'd suggest Pentaxians are a little more discerning than the general public, so their desires are more informed. Then again, we don't know the full potential of what a MILC can do - I just know I prefer the real-time framing of the OVF couple with the fantastic UI of Pentax dSLRs. That would just be awesome on a FF body.

a lot of young photographers have grown up with no knowledge of Pentax history, and a lot of experience with new technologies
That's where marketing comes in.

I have found that when i'm holding my lightweight small Nex5n, that i try more creative shots than i would if i'm holding my larger Pentax dslr and zoom lenses
What creative shot can you do with the NEX that you cannot do on a dSLR? Handholding a K-5, even with a grip and Tamron 70-200, is a breeze being so well balanced; but then there is the option of removing the grip and putting on an FA or DA Limited lens - so small and pretty lightweight, as well as being WR and with even better IQ. I wager that Pentax have a FF camera in mind that will impress so many Pentaxians and non-Pentaxians alike with how small and lightweight it will be.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Interesting post regarding phone interview with Jim Malcolm
I saw that, and applaud Gabriel for his input. Good things are coming.
01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The problem is that these people have no idea about product development. Not until they get a product number so that they can order. This happens at the most a few months before the release date. They are just distributing/selling the products, not involved in developing them. The information consist of regurgitating already leaked rumors with the obvious and a dose of speculation presented in a non comitical manner.
If it isn't from the big bosses in Japan or leak from the same place, it has no value except for products for close to immediate release.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 01-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #169
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The problem is that these people have no idea about product development. Not until they get a product number so that they can order. This happens at the most a few months before the release date. They are just distributing/selling the products, not involved in developing them. The information consist of regurgitating already leaked rumors with the obvious and a dose of speculation presented in a non comitical manner.
If it isn't from the big bosses in Japan or leak from the same place, it has no value except for products for close to immediate release.
Aside from all that, what camera would you have Pentax make that you'd want to buy?
Your ideas on product development may well be useful.

01-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #170
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
We could be back to Ned talking about is Leica. Or Ned blowing Sunshine up our tails about why the MAP was going to put Pentax in local B & M stores.
01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #171
Forum Member

a better (smaller) APS-C Mirrorless would be great, a FF is also welcomed
01-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #172
Forum Member

mirror less FF with K mount

I voted on mirror less FF with K mount, and an adapter is needed for DA lenses. I don’t need an EVF, because I’ll get several different OVF for different lenses. Please keep making FA lenses as well

01-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #173
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travera Quote
a better (smaller) APS-C Mirrorless would be great, a FF is also welcomed
So the camera you next want to buy is a newer generation MILC - is size your main motivation for preferring this over a dSLR?
01-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #174
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NSX167 Quote
I voted on mirror less FF with K mount, and an adapter is needed for DA lenses. I don’t need an EVF, because I’ll get several different OVF for different lenses. Please keep making FA lenses as well
Is this an adapter for DA lenses to somehow act as FF lenses with an increased registry distance? I also don't understand your rationale for OVF preference given that you want a MILC. Do you mean that you're just happy with framing on the rear LCD?
01-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No adapter needed for DA lenses, if it's a K-mount - just a crop mode!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I also don't understand your rationale for OVF preference given that you want a MILC. Do you mean that you're just happy with framing on the rear LCD?
Think he means several hotshoe mounted finders, matched to the lenses.

Can't see such a camera doing well at all (a big FF mirrorless with only a rear screen unless you buy accessory finders, which you would have to change as often as the lenses), but I guess the poll is 'what camera do YOU want' rather than 'what camera ought Pentax to make'.
01-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Is this an adapter for DA lenses to somehow act as FF lenses with an increased registry distance? I also don't understand your rationale for OVF preference given that you want a MILC. Do you mean that you're just happy with framing on the rear LCD?
I think the idea is to make a 1.5x TC so APS-C lenses can cover the full FF sensor. But I think this type of adapter work best for mirroless cameras, as you then can use the K-mount lens at the original register distance of K-mount.

And on mirrorless it is also be possible to design 0.67x (wide angle) adapter for APS-C cameras, so when using FF K-mount lenses on APS-C, they behave the same as on FF.
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #177
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I think the idea is to make a 1.5x TC so APS-C lenses can cover the full FF sensor. But I think this type of adapter work best for mirroless cameras, as you then can use the K-mount lens at the original register distance of K-mount.

And on mirrorless it is also be possible to design 0.67x (wide angle) adapter for APS-C cameras, so when using FF K-mount lenses on APS-C, they behave the same as on FF.
A 1.4x (that is what Pentax is actually working on) will not change and aps-c coverage lens to a full frame coverage lens. What it does is change the focal length. For example. the DA 21 Ltd would be a 29.4mm/f4.48 lens but it would still be an aps-c lenses. That said, TC are generally not recommended for focal lengths wider than 50mm. Nikon uses a crop mode to address this aps-c issue and would guess Pentax would have a comparable method.
01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #178
Veteran Member

A 1.4x (that is what Pentax is actually working on) will not change and aps-c coverage lens to a full frame coverage lens.
1.4x TC take an image that's concentrated (let's say APS-C size) and 'spread' it out (to an image roughly FF size) so an APS-C sensor sees only the middle.

A FF sensor would still see all of the original image, and if the glass is excellent, it would have better IQ than not using the TC.
01-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #179
Banned

I'd suggest Pentaxians are a little more discerning than the general public, so their desires are more informed.
A poll of the very vocal users is most likely to be misleading. The Q was disliked and it sold well and got a sequel, the K-01 was praised and it was discontinued. The K-7 body redesign was whined about being too small - now the K-5 is the best thing to come with an OVF.
01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #180
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
A poll of the very vocal users is most likely to be misleading. The Q was disliked and it sold well and got a sequel, the K-01 was praised and it was discontinued. The K-7 body redesign was whined about being too small - now the K-5 is the best thing to come with an OVF.
That could be said about any poll. Folks happy and content with an entry level dSLR and kit lens aren't the likely target of upper end aps-c or ff bodies. Same thing applies for lenses.