Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was particularly struck by "Possible entry in the archiving business using medium format digital cameras." And the leveraging of digital imaging systems in other areas such as security that we do not usually consider part of photography.
That's a good point. Aiming products / solutions at businesses, rather than individual consumers can help to reduce the downside during recessions and such.

Even if I stop spending discretionary money on my hobby, the businesses still keep going.

12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Ash...your poll is not fair because I want more than one thing.
I did mention that for the poll to give meaningful data, the one *most pressing* or first intended purchase is the one to vote for. It should also be the higher end purchase rather than a desired entry level purchase. So I understand people may be after a high end dSLR as well as a MILC, but which one will be the first or most desired purchase?
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Could Pentax decide to go in the opposite direction of Easy-to-use facebook friendly Mirrorless cameras with super-tech bells and whistles?

Could they be the company of serious cameras built like a Olympus OM or K1000 of days gone by? weather sealed. Metal. For serious photographers who want a serious camera? No BS.

Could this be a path to sucess? Instead of trying to run next to everyone else.
01-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by godwinaustin Quote
Could Pentax decide to go in the opposite direction of Easy-to-use facebook friendly Mirrorless cameras with super-tech bells and whistles?

Could they be the company of serious cameras built like a Olympus OM or K1000 of days gone by? weather sealed. Metal. For serious photographers who want a serious camera? No BS.

Could this be a path to sucess? Instead of trying to run next to everyone else.
I think that would be a good idea. A full frame digital sensor in a k1000 body or something like that. No flash, nothing. If you want one put one on...like the old way... I would like that.

01-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Instead of trying to run next to everyone else
like a Olympus OM
You've contradicted yourself here, but I think I know your bend. A serious camera still has to have the practical features needed to satisfy the serious photographer. There isn't much 'nonsense' in the K-5 or 645D, so I don't see Pentax's successor to their high end cameras having any useless features - can you imagine scene modes or a help button on the 645D?
01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Banned

Photos: Albums
Nikon or Canon still might be bigger, but I even think Pentax (and Ricoh) could end up being owned outright by Canon at some point in the future... horrible I know... but it looks like Ricoh is positioning itself for something along those lines, but they will never go away as a brand
4.4 Billion is sales isn't something that either Nikon or Canon could risk at the moment, but…

Since parent company Hoya is indeed a publicly traded company; one could almost bet that other camera companies do in fact own stock in the company. Which is interesting, that even any Hoya investment stock owner is also *bound* by a type of confidentiality contract (both literal and also inferred) that having stock in a company such as Hoya will also give other photography companies particular insight as to what is coming down the line in the near future. So if anyone out there wants to know if and when a Pentax fullframe is coming, simply purchase a few shares of stock and all of the answers will come directly to you
01-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
4.4 Billion is sales isn't something that either Nikon or Canon could risk at the moment, but…

Since parent company Hoya is indeed a publicly traded company; one could almost bet that other camera companies do in fact own stock in the company. Which is interesting, that even any Hoya investment stock owner is also *bound* by a type of confidentiality contract (both literal and also inferred) that having stock in a company such as Hoya will also give other photography companies particular insight as to what is coming down the line in the near future. So if anyone out there wants to know if and when a Pentax fullframe is coming, simply purchase a few shares of stock and all of the answers will come directly to you
I am not following you here. 4.4 billion in sales? Risk?

And Hoya isn't the parent company. Ricoh is.

You can get a copy of the annual reports and quarterly reports... all investors get the same info. You can get it without owning shares. If you get more than this you are running the risk of being like Martha (Stewart).

That said when I first had the eye to buy Ricoh....I shied away. It was $31 a share in the US ADR market. Six months later its $54 and share.

01-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
Banned

Canon and Nikon won't go down quietly though. There is a real chance at some point in the future if Pentax starts making too many waves that they will be bought out (Ricoh I mean)...lock stock and barrel by their massive competitors.
My impression was that Ricoh was the size of Canon and much larger than Nikon. I somehow doubt Ricoh would be bought even if Canon or Nikon had the buying power - these companies didn't get ahead in photography through big acquisitions. Of course, there is a first time for everything, but I doubt such event.

I think its bigger than cameras. Hence the entirety of my post above. Cameras are in reality a smaller cog in a much bigger machine. These types of corporations do not get their money from a one trick pony.
Yes, this makes sense for the overall value of the corporations, but isn't necessarily relevant to their photo divisions. I know no Canon user that bought equipment because Canon makes great printers. And I don't even know what else Nikon makes besides photo equipment. Having money from other sources can help you keep afloat a struggling division, but to be successful, it has to be successful on its own.

Right. You've just described the Olympus E-M5.
01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Right. You've just described the Olympus E-M5.
Hold an Olympus OM-4 or Nikon F4 and then hold a Olympus OM-D, IMO big difference.

But I dont want to get into that debate.

I think the new FF camera will tell lots about the direction the company is to take; its successes or failures will also, in my opinion, play a large role in the what the future holds for Pentax.

This camera needs to quiet the critics. AF needs to take the step that Canon did against Nikon, or a larger one; If I'm Pentax/Ricoh, Im making damn sure this camera makes waves when its hits the market.
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the new FF camera will tell lots about the direction the company is to take; its successes or failures will also, in my opinion, play a large role in the what the future holds for Pentax. .
Actually, the next top level APS Pentax will tell where they are heading as you can be sure that both future FF and 645's are built on it...
01-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
Banned

Hold an Olympus OM-4 or Nikon F4 and then hold a Olympus OM-D, IMO big difference.
And does that surprise you? If you don't want any difference, just settle for an OM-4. There will never be a better OM-4 than the OM-4.