Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Inaccurate colour vision and colour photography?

My colour vision is normal on basic tests done by an ophtalmologist. However, it seems that it is much less accurate than the vision of the females in my family (wife and daughters). For example using normal, even uncalibrated displays the women get perfect or close to perfect score in tests like FM 100 Hue Test while I make dozens of mistakes.

That makes me (not 100% seriously) wonder if I should drop colour photography for 100% B&W? While I take crappy pictures at best, they are probably even worse after my PP than I think. Should I therefore drop colour completely to diminish my utter failure?

What do you think?

12-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know a photographer who is now also an editor for the local nat geo, and he has problems with seeing red colour. Red is a very powerful colour, you'd think a photographer would have problems with not seeing it "as the rest of us do," but he takes stunning shots, both in terms of composition as well as tones. Even of red subjects
Basically, if you have a colour blindness or something you just have to be aware of it. I don't think it would cause big problems. Then again, nothing wrong with bw photography, so if you feel more comfortable with that.. go right ahead
12-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It seems that women have finer color vision than men, typically. I read about that a few years ago, and was surprised when I took a color test and was not stellar. It is not color blindness. It just may be the way things are, and you can make wonderful photographs, or other art just the same.
01-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
even uncalibrated displays the women get perfect or close to perfect score in tests like FM 100 Hue Test
I'm not surprised.
For thousands of generations it was the women that had to taste, smell and see critically and accurately when gathering wild food for their family.

01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
My colour vision is normal on basic tests done by an ophtalmologist. However, it seems that it is much less accurate than the vision of the females in my family (wife and daughters). For example using normal, even uncalibrated displays the women get perfect or close to perfect score in tests like FM 100 Hue Test while I make dozens of mistakes.

That makes me (not 100% seriously) wonder if I should drop colour photography for 100% B&W? While I take crappy pictures at best, they are probably even worse after my PP than I think. Should I therefore drop colour completely to diminish my utter failure?

What do you think?
Yeah, my wife gets 100% on that test, and calibrates her monitor by eye. She also does all the serious PP in this house while I concentrate on running around and shooting stuff...
01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I scored Zero on my iMac so I now feel awesome, so why is it according to my good lady I cannot dress myself correctly.
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Take a look at the work of Joel Grimes. He is color blind but it does not hold him back.
I might say some of his photography style tends to black and white or to gritty contrasty photos that help eliminate some need for color acuity.
But regardless, he still does color fashion photos that would stand up to anything done by non-color-blind photographers.

If you have a passion for color photography, you will learn to work with what you've got.... and don't feel bad asking someone to double check your colors if necessary. Joel admits to having asked his wife to double check his work in the past.

I score 100% on the hue test, and I am technically proficient at using my camera and software, but I would give up either or both to have some creative talent.