Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good call on the business license. Some customers may not do business with you without one, like a Realtor or something like that.

01-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! there's so much stuff! hehe
01-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Good call on the business license. Some customers may not do business with you without one, like a Realtor or something like that.
Hi
And set up some sort of public liability insurance, and make a habit of pointing this out to your prospect clients. Comes in handy if you ask them to sit or stand on a wall for that special angle and then they fall off and break an arm (or whatever). It is always you who gets blamed for it.

Greetings
01-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to check a bookstore, your public library, or both for books on establishing and maintaining a photography business. One or more of the books probably will give you some useful tips. You won't necessarily immediately take every recommended step.

Some people might be embarrassed to tell you what they can "afford" to pay you.

You or a friend could print business cards on a home computer and ask your clients to share the cards with people who admire images you captured.

Keep track of business expenses, including automobile mileage, postage and other seemingly small expenses.

I do not do portraits for pay for clients. I do freelance photography for publication — primarily in a small, local newspaper. So please do not consider me to be an expert resource for portrait or product photographers.

Best wishes!

01-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've looked at your gallery and I think you take nice photos. Keep in mind that standards on these forums are very high, most people don't pixel peep and think about "how the photo could be improved." Non-photographers tend to be much more forgiving than actual photographers. At least most of the time, I'm sure you will meet people with insane demands eventually
Just make sure you have the knowledge and equipment that you need for the gig that you want to get paid for. Or that you can learn and acquire the equipment on time.
01-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
You might want to check a bookstore, your public library, or both for books on establishing and maintaining a photography business. One or more of the books probably will give you some useful tips. You won't necessarily immediately take every recommended step.

Some people might be embarrassed to tell you what they can "afford" to pay you.

You or a friend could print business cards on a home computer and ask your clients to share the cards with people who admire images you captured.

Keep track of business expenses, including automobile mileage, postage and other seemingly small expenses.

I do not do portraits for pay for clients. I do freelance photography for publication — primarily in a small, local newspaper. So please do not consider me to be an expert resource for portrait or product photographers.

Best wishes!
Thank you very much sir (:
01-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I've looked at your gallery and I think you take nice photos. Keep in mind that standards on these forums are very high, most people don't pixel peep and think about "how the photo could be improved." Non-photographers tend to be much more forgiving than actual photographers. At least most of the time, I'm sure you will meet people with insane demands eventually
Just make sure you have the knowledge and equipment that you need for the gig that you want to get paid for. Or that you can learn and acquire the equipment on time.
Thank you sir (: and will do.

03-19-2013, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You also need to have a look around at the the going rates are for your local area, as they do vary.

Then you can pitch yourself right in there amongst it.

At the end of the day you must deliver, failure is not an option, word of mouth and local reputation can you your biggest friend or your worst nightmare, good luck.
04-02-2013, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #24

Photos: Albums
Try the old fashioned, "I need to test this new 'lens, set-up, flash, technique, whatever', and I can use you for the test if you don't mind. Just pay me for what you want from the shoot so I'm not out of pocket."
It works on the mindset that they are helping you and doing you a favor and not that you are doing them one. Everyone likes a bargain unless they think it's charity.