Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being a paparazzi is dangerous

Photographer killed while trying to shoot Ferrari believed to belong to Justin Bieber - U.S. News

Is it really worth your life to get a photo of some celeb's CAR? DuOH!!!

01-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Urgh, nasty. The rewards for getting a saleable shot of a celeb are very high, I'm not surprised that from time to time a desperate paparazzi loses it in the heat of the moment, putting themselves (and others) in danger. The Princess Di car crash being a memorable example. Of course if people didn't buy the magazines that the pap's cater to, none of this would ever happen.
01-02-2013, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Of course if people didn't buy the magazines that the pap's cater to, none of this would ever happen.
Unfortunately there's no cure for being stupid and liking stupid things.
01-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
Well said.

01-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Forrest Gump said it best. Stupid is as stupid does.
01-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
I am fairly certain that that particular photographer is in fact cured from doing stupid stuff.
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Justin Bieber calls for anti-paparazzi laws after photographer is killed - U.S. News

Trouble is, photographing anyone in public is legal... whether the subject is a celebrity or a pleeb... The police need to be enforcing existing general laws such as reckless driving or (in the case of this photographer) trespassing on a public highway or creating a traffic hazard.

01-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there any National Camera Association in US? They might not like this:
QuoteOriginally posted by Justin Beiber:
Hopefully this tragedy will finally inspire meaningful legislation and whatever other necessary steps to protect the lives and safety of celebrities, police officers, innocent public bystanders and the photographers themselves.
01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

He has a point but it does ring a bit hollow. Cos maybe if Bieber didn't use his image so extensively to earn a living, there wouldn't be this constant interest in his pictures. I'm not saying this of Bieber, but a lot of these celebs tip off the paps when they want to get themselves in the papers.
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My problem is they "want their cake and to eat it to." They want to be left alone when it suits them but want an audience when it suits them as well... My take. You're a celeb, you gotta take the bad with the good... Don't want to deal with the paps... stop performing and become a plumber in Moscow...
01-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

That photo of Bieber being stopped by the police in his white Ferrari would have been worth more than 100 bucks quoted in that report. Sounds like he was the only tog there, he hadn't been following Bieber but merely stumbked across the scene.
01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My problem is they "want their cake and to eat it to." They want to be left alone when it suits them but want an audience when it suits them as well... My take. You're a celeb, you gotta take the bad with the good... Don't want to deal with the paps... stop performing and become a plumber in Moscow...
No, not really. They're occupation is as performers. Generally, they get paid for/when performing their craft, and when promoting their works, period.

When they're not "on stage" they're no different than you and me, and they are entitled to the same expectation of privacy that you and I enjoy. That the media hypes them up for commercial gain does not diminish their rights in any way.

Would you expect a Russian plumber to give free service? A lawyer? A doctor? A programmer? How about yourself, a photographer?

If you want artists to stop receiving special status, then stop giving them special privilege.
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
That photo of Bieber being stopped by the police in his white Ferrari would have been worth more than 100 bucks quoted in that report. Sounds like he was the only tog there, he hadn't been following Bieber but merely stumbked across the scene.
Except he was shooting a friend of Biebers because Bieber wasn't even there. It was just some random dude in a Ferrari.
01-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #14

Ah missed that bit, hmmm wouldn't be worth 100bucks then...
01-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
No, not really. They're occupation is as performers. Generally, they get paid for/when performing their craft, and when promoting their works, period.

When they're not "on stage" they're no different than you and me, and they are entitled to the same expectation of privacy that you and I enjoy. That the media hypes them up for commercial gain does not diminish their rights in any way.

Would you expect a Russian plumber to give free service? A lawyer? A doctor? A programmer? How about yourself, a photographer?

If you want artists to stop receiving special status, then stop giving them special privilege.
Have to disagree... the vast majority of celebrities, particularly "performers" actively seek the "limelight." Regardless of this though... their expectation of privacy when out in public IS the same as everyone elses... NONE!

Free service??? Celebrities like Bieber make millions just by breathing... not true for the vast majority of plumbers, doctors, programmers or photographers.