Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Dust Donut!

Over on kickstarter there is a great project called the Dust Donut

"Dust Donut™ Add a weather seal to the mount of any DSLR Lens"

Right now it is only for Canon lenses. This thing would be perfect for Pentax!

I just became a $3 backer and sent the founder an email asking about Pentax support. I got a response 2 minutes later.

Think about this - for less than the cost of a coffee you can become a backer.

FULL DISCLOSURE - other than my $3 I have no connection to this project.

01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
A seal on the mount does not make the lens magically weather resistant. There are still other places for dust and water to enter the lens and also probably through the lens into the body. I'd think the mount itself is far from the weakest point in a system that is not weather protected.
01-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Have used a 25 cent O Ring on my K10 for a long time, just a little smaller than the lens and just roll it into the space between the lens and body. Saved me
a few times.
Good for cold weather keeping condensation out.
If water gets in a lens it is still far from getting into the cam, has to get through the helicoid covered in grease or around the sealed glass whereas the
unsealed mount is a direct route to heartbreak hotel !
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Notice that on the photo of the 60D with the USM lens attached, the lens he's using has the WORST Purple fringing ever?

01-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would find this pretty pointless and would be just as concerned about getting moisture inside of my lens as I would be getting the body of the camera wet. Besides, dust donut?

"This prevents harmful dirt and moisture from entering your Camera body's opening and collecting on the Digital Sensor causing serious damage and image degradation."

If its not collecting on the actual mount, it will be collecting on the rubber donut outside. That still doesnt stop the dust/moisture from getting inside when you switch the lens.

I mean can dust really get inside of the body when the lens is mounted on?? When I mount my lens, most of them are pretty tight fit. Probably a few zenit era m42 lens are exception (they wobble) and I can see how dust may get inside. I dont view the mount as the weak point in terms of weather sealing. I would be more concerned about water/moisture/dust getting under my focus/zoom rings and making their way inside the lens leading to fungus in the long run.