Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gallery has me depressed :(

Got an email inviting me to judge the photos in the gallery. Took a look at a few and... wow. I'm not qualified to be a judge. None of my photos even come close to these. I know I'm not a pro -- I just do this as a hobby.... but it's very disheartening to see such awesome work, which I'll never be able to even come close to

Sigh. At least if I can't have plenty of talent, I can have plenty of beer.

Charles.

01-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
but it's very disheartening to see such awesome work, which I'll never be able to even come close to
Every single person who has an image in that gallery is just a normal person. With practice, dedication, and the wonderful thing that is called inspiration, you most certainly can create amazing images. Believe me, if I can create decent images, anybody can.
01-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got an email inviting me to judge the photos in the gallery. Took a look at a few and... wow. I'm not qualified to be a judge.
+1. I am in same situation and I feel, like you, unsuited for judging such high quality works.

... but it's very disheartening to see such awesome work
But I disagree with you on that one. It shows us what we can aim to. Since I move tod dSLR, I saw a progressive improvement of my shots, with a higher keeper rate, an increasing number of really nice photographs (even if I am the only one you like these), and a better understanding of my lenses, their capabilities and my own capabilities and limitations. There is more to come I believe. It is a challenge and that's great....

My 5 cents.
01-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Got an email inviting me to judge the photos in the gallery. Took a look at a few and... wow. I'm not qualified to be a judge. None of my photos even come close to these. I know I'm not a pro -- I just do this as a hobby.... but it's very disheartening to see such awesome work, which I'll never be able to even come close to

Charles.
Please be advised that to recognize a great photo one does not have to be a great photographer. Some of the best judges out there are not all that good at producing their own masterpieces, but they are amazingly consistent and knowledgeable, but not necessarily adept. But you do have to know the fundamentals of photography. You do have to know what elements can be added, subtracted, or modified in order to improve an image. You need to know which basic elements need to be present, or absent. You need to know what requires adjustment regardless of the image (CA for instance or skew horizons).

I suggest spending some time looking through the photo critique forum and brushing up on these things. There may be some basics you discover due to somebody else's critique/comment.

I'm nowhere close to being a gourmet chef, but I know a good steak when I get one!

Something I tell a lot of folks when I teach them something small is that "Nothing in life is difficult, you just don't know how to do it."

01-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Charles.
Actually, I know how you feel and I know it's not just about judging. If I see one truly great pic I feel inspired but if I see twenty truly great pics from different persons I can feel the exact opposite, like why even continue when I'm not up to par. This can be translated to most things in life and at least I have to work hard to get past it in some way almost every day.

I envy you who only get inspired and I think it may come down to self-confidence or something.
Though I actually sent in a request to become a judge, one of the reasons is to work at the things written above.
01-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
DNT

I'm barely into a year into my photography hobby. I'm not naturally creative nor have I done any courses but you know what, seeing the better photographers produce their wonderful work just keeps reminding me that the difference between me and them is practice and knowledge.

Comparing my photos between now and last march, there is a huge difference in quality. Before moving to Pentax, I used a canon 300D with the 100mm L macro and easily captured some dolphins performing acrobatic tricks mid air. When I sold the lens to someone who owns a 5D MK III and was turning pro, he couldn't understand how I got the shots with my slow combo.

I get a real kick trying to work out how these better photographers get a particular shot. Very satisfying once the mystery is unraveled and at the same time, improves my shots.
01-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Charles.

Some of it is learning how the camera and lenses work, part of it is post processing, but the biggest part is learning to see photographically. It took me several years of serious involvement before I could capture decent images consistently, but I imagine some learn more quickly.

01-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have to disagree with you. I have been invited to judge as well, and I am at around 20-25 images judged so far. While not a large enough sample size to draw any conclusions, of those I haven't seen any that truly belonged to be in the PEG. A couple could be made to squeeze in if some minor adjustments were made to make the image stronger, but other than that? One I even made a comment/note for the ultimate reviewing authority (Adam I presume) that was "Is this submission a joke?" And another one, while a gorgeous image, was riddled in dust spots.

I take it to be the "Pentax Exclusive Gallery." A gallery so exclusive that all you do is look through the images and you are wowed and your jaw is dropped further by every image you see. An image gallery that causes people who venture to Pentax Forums and know nothing about Pentax and say "Holy crap, man! I wanna make shots like that! I need to get me a Pentax!"

So I would agree with being depressed and disheartened. The only difference is that I felt that way because I couldn't believe the lack of self-criticism and realism and honesty that would allow someone to delude themselves to think the shot(s) they were submitting were gallery worthy.

I don't mean to be callous, but this is exactly the same reason why I think the Pentax Photo Gallery has gone to crap - so many of the images that are accepted are frankly terrible shots. Many are stellar shots, yes. But there's way too sizeable a population of photographs that are just plain awful or mediocre at best. And that is supposed to be Pentax's premiere crem de la crem? I've stopped forwarding friends to the PPG to show off Pentax's IQ for that reason. Because it's an embarrassing display and no way focuses on and showcases the potential of Pentax. Instead I take the time to hand pick images I find and send direct links to them as opposed to the site's designed intent of "visit here, and get lost in mesmorizing the superlative photographs created by Pentaxians with Pentax gear." When I have my phone interview with Mr. Malcolm I will address the current state of the PPG and how it needs stricter standards because it has become too lax as of late.

I have seen some absolutely phenomenal images posted here and elsewhere. Images that I don't know if I will personally ever be capable of producing. So when I am given a photo to judge that looks like a drunken portrait that is slightly out of focus with a super cluttered background and a 5deg tilt down to the left being submitted into the Exclusive gallery, I can't help but shake my head.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 01-26-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo
01-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I have to disagree with you. I have been invited to judge as well, and I am at around 20-25 images judged so far. While not a large enough sample size to draw any conclusions, of those I haven't seen any that truly belonged to be in the PEG. A couple could be made to squeeze in if some minor adjustments were made to make the image stronger, but other than that? One I even made a comment/note for the ultimate reviewing authority (Adam I presume) that was "Is this submission a joke?" And another one, while a gorgeous image, was riddled in dust spots.

I take it to be the "Pentax Exclusive Gallery." A gallery so exclusive that all you do is look through the images and you are wowed and your jaw is dropped further by every image you see. An image gallery that causes people who venture to Pentax Forums and know nothing about Pentax and say "Holy crap, man! I wanna make shots like that! I need to get me a Pentax!"

So I would agree with being depressed and disheartened. The only difference is that I felt that way because I couldn't believe the lack of self-criticism and realism and honesty that would allow someone to delude themselves to think the shot(s) they were submitting were gallery worthy.

I don't mean to be callous, but this is exactly the same reason why I think the Pentax Photo Gallery has gone to crap - so many of the images that are accepted are frankly terrible shots. Many are stellar shots, yes. But there's way too sizeable a population of photographs that are just plain awful or mediocre at best. And that is supposed to be Pentax's premiere crem de la crem? I've stopped forwarding friends to the PPG to show off Pentax's IQ for that reason. Because it's an embarrassing display and no way focuses on and showcases the potential of Pentax. Instead I take the time to hand pick images I find and send direct links to them as opposed to the site's designed intent of "visit here, and get lost in mesmorizing the superlative photographs created by Pentaxians with Pentax gear." When I have my phone interview with Mr. Malcolm I will address the current state of the PPG and how it needs stricter standards because it has become too lax as of late.

I have seen some absolutely phenomenal images posted here and elsewhere. Images that I don't know if I will personally ever be capable of producing. So when I am given a photo to judge that looks like a drunken portrait that is slightly out of focus with a super cluttered background and a 5deg tilt down to the left being submitted into the Exclusive gallery, I can't help but shake my head.

-Heie
So, just to make it clear for us mere mortals, dreaming of hitting the jackpot once in our lifetime, would you suggest we post our dream shot in "Post your photos!" first, gauge the response, then move it on to "Photo Critique" to help iron out any flaws, and then try PEG, so as not to waist the judges valuable time
01-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

-Heie
I couldn't have said it better.

Off topic, isn't this in the wrong discussion part of the forum? Pentax K-01?
01-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
Banned

Well I'm lacking time at the moment to be a good judge, but the time I did spend on the images made me a sad men. I saw a bunch off images that where not up to any standards to be summitted to any judgingsystem to waist someones time.
01-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I'm lacking time at the moment to be a good judge, but the time I did spend on the images made me a sad men. I saw a bunch off images that where not up to any standards to be summitted to any judgingsystem to waist someones time.
That is actually what I'm trying to say, why not let any images submitted to PEG, go through a sifting process first, before even being allowed to be posted there.

On the other hand, I also received the invitation to be a judge, and for the love of me I can't see why, I only post a few photos in the "Post it" section, to share with a few members I've come to interact with over time, and anybody else who might want to look at it; nothing fancy, and definitely nothing I would even consider waisting anybodies time with in the "Critique" section. It seems as if there are a shortage of judges, and someone is desperate to just get somebody to do the job. I would suggest that only members with images already accepted in PEG, should be invited to judge, and if anyone else request to be a judge, they should submit some of there work, to see if they at least know smething, before allowing them to judge others submissions:

Last edited by altopiet; 01-26-2013 at 10:56 PM.
01-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It is only depressing in that it makes me realise how poor I am. Having said that, it is also inspiring at the same time as it stops me blaming my gear and makes me want to do better, a bit like some of the lens club threads
01-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
I couldn't have said it better.

Off topic, isn't this in the wrong discussion part of the forum? Pentax K-01?
You're right, and I've moved it. PEG is best judged by a diverse range of photographers. From the well seasoned to the less experienced but it is more than experience that counts.
01-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
That is actually what I'm trying to say, why not let any images submitted to PEG, go through a sifting process first, before even being allowed to be posted there.

On the other hand, I also received the invitation to be a judge, and for the love of me I can't see why, I only post a few photos in the "Post it" section, to share with a few members I've come to interact with over time, and anybody else who might want to look at it; nothing fancy, and definitely nothing I would even consider waisting anybodies time with in the "Critique" section. It seems as if there are a shortage of judges, and somebone is desperate to just get somebody to do the job. I would suggest that only members with images already accepted in PEG, should be invited to judge, and if anyone else request to be a judge, they should submit some of there work, to see if they at least know something, before allowing them to judge others submissions
Don't undervalue yourself, the few photos i have seen from you, I thought they were excellent and thoroughly enjoyed them!