Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma has new lenses out - but not Pentax mount

Two prime lenses just announced by Sigma - a 30mm f/1.4 redesign, and a 60mm for mirrorless. I would guess that leaving off mirrorless was logical given the lack of apparent Pentax commitment to the K-01, but you have to wonder if Sigma is backing away from Pentax for the future. It isn't as though everyone with Pentax interested in a fast normal is going to want to shell out the cash for the 31 Ltd.

01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Two prime lenses just announced by Sigma - a 30mm f/1.4 redesign, and a 60mm for mirrorless. I would guess that leaving off mirrorless was logical given the lack of apparent Pentax commitment to the K-01, but you have to wonder if Sigma is backing away from Pentax for the future. It isn't as though everyone with Pentax interested in a fast normal is going to want to shell out the cash for the 31 Ltd.
The sigma mirrorless lenses are designed for use with mirrorless cameras that have a short registration distance (i.e. micro 4/3 and nex) - the K-01, while mirrorless, is a normal 35mm registration distance so the lens couldn't be designed to function on it. As for the 30mm redesign, Pentax has always received new/updated lenses late so that isn't too surprising!
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, Sigma isn't backing away from Pentax. They're just sticking to making lenses that are in demand

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 28/1.8 and the 35/1.4 are available in Pentax mount. Is the 30 really necessary?

01-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And that 28/1.8 is really nice....
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering the same thing. They also didn't mention Sony Alpha. Maybe they still have a lot of the first version in stock for those mounts.

I picked up an "old" 30/1.4 during the Christmas sales, so I guess I wasn't going to be in the market for the new one any time soon.
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I was wondering the same thing. They also didn't mention Sony Alpha.
I expect that they looked at the sales of the first version on each system and then they decided accordingly.

There are probably few people that buy Sony APS-C SLTs these days - the NEX and the A99 are generating more interest.

01-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I expect that they looked at the sales of the first version on each system and then they decided accordingly.

There are probably few people that buy Sony APS-C SLTs these days - the NEX and the A99 are generating more interest.
Agreed, but if they are making a second version for the Sigma SA mount, they ought to knock out a few Ks and Alphas...
01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Agreed, but if they are making a second version for the Sigma SA mount, they ought to knock out a few Ks and Alphas...
SA is their puppy - it is special
01-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, Sigma isn't backing away from Pentax. They're just sticking to making lenses that are in demand
I would not be surprised that in less than a couple of years Sigma will be the lens to buy...they're certainly there in the autofocus department

Thanks

Randy