Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lol its stuff like that that makes me want to get a Q. All the time I see a scene and think "this would have been a good shot!" Some time ago I saw the nearby mountains in remarkable light, the kind of light I have never seen them in before. They were glowing and contrasty. Would have made a stunning photo, but the light was gone in 10 minutes and I couldn't get to a good spot for a photo in that time. By the time I even got my stuff together it already turned into a regular sunset.

02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

i even take my k10d with me to pick up the kids from school only 1 mile down the road but still i take it cause you never know!!
02-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing all your stories! I don't feel quite as bad - misery loves company!

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
you shouldn't leave it in a 130*F car. But depending on what you carry with you into work every day, a K30 with the 18-135 can fit in most large sized purses
Lowepro - Adventura TLZ 25
Something like that, or even a neoprene camera wrap would be a great option to leave in a backpack or purse etc so you have it with you at all times.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely have to start doing something like this to avoid such disappointments in the future!
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Yep, it's happened to me.

A team had drained an artificial pond out for cleaning. As I watched,a goanna (large lizard about 4 feet long) was making his way out of the pond with a fish in his mouth. NO CAMERA!! A spectacular wildlife shot gone begging. AAAAAAAAGH!!!!

I have recently purchased a K01 for this reason, to carry at all times.

02-07-2013, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #20

A similar thing happened to me a couple months ago.

In Toronto there is a famous comic book shop called "The Silver Snail" that has moved locations. I remember going there as a kid and still frequent it in adulthood. Now the thing about the Silver Snail is that it had this great sign and building facade that no matter how good the interior of the new location is they never reproduce the exterior there.

Since the move the old building had the sign left up and one day I was driving by with my brother, no camera and no place to pull over even to take a crappy cell phone shot. We noticed a crew of workers removing the sign and they had it off the building and had put it on a flat bed of a transport truck. What I would have given to have known that that was the day they were removing it and carting it away. I really wish that I was able to document the end of an era for me.
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Sometimes having your camera with you doesn't guarantee that you'll get the shot. More than once I've stood with camera in hand and just marveled at what I was seeing. Then it's gone and I never raised the camera to my eye. Missed the shot, enjoyed the moment.
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote

I am happy with the photos I get by having a camera in tote....but that doesn't mean I am less frustrated when a situation arises and I don't
Awesome shot!

02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
And that's why it's great to have that camera at hand, abieleck! Great shot!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I have been carrying a camera with me everywhere, every day for the past 3 years. No camera = no photo.
Oh man...that is almost worse. When you grab your camera 'just in case', then are so happy you brought it, only to have an empty SD slot.....brutal.
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zaphodmonster Quote
I really wish that I was able to document
That's the thing too....some photographs don't require the best gear or high quality results, you just want to document the moment and help you remember.
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Mostly when I see things I'd like to photograph it's from my car and I couldn't stop anyhow whether I have a camera with me or not. But I do wish to have a compact better-than-cellphone camera with me as often as possible. But it seems that when I do have a camera and am where I could actually use it, I see nothing to photograph.
02-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #26

On trips I carry a camera bag. Everywhere else I carry a P&S. I buy a new one every few years and am now carrying some kind of a Canon. It's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. I'm not that wild about the clarity of its pics tho.... It cost $129, so I'm not out ALL that much. I've got five or six in a drawer and I really don't need to buy more of them, but I do. I haven't purchased a Pentax P&S since my flim days. I like this new one....an DX-10? Something like that, but $500? Naw, I'll just fiddle around with this little Canon for a while yet. I'm waiting for my new K-01 so my camera buying dollars are all used up.
02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote

But it seems that when I do have a camera and am where I could actually use it, I see nothing to photograph.
And that, my friend, is the rub.
02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Come on guys, no excuses, get into the habit, at least one camera with you everywhere you go.

Just like you carry your mobile phone with you always.
02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Put your optio wr in your pocket. The only time I go out without any camera at all is when it's dark. I put it in my pocket, I use the beener to clip it through a belt loop. It's smaller than my wallet. What excuse is there not to bring it? Most of the time I have at least the K-5 with the 18-135 with me, and the 60-250 or Sigma 70-300 in the car somewhere. I feel naked without a camera. I think everyone's staring at me.
02-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My answer.
It is in a woman's hand BTW.

Last edited by wildman; 02-11-2013 at 03:55 AM.