Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Depending on where one lives, there are also sometimes galleries which put on seminars and lectures by really impressive people. Online has it's place and can be something of a window on the world, but nothing beats a real event.
Very true, but not really helpful if you're stuck living somewhere in the sticks, where real events rarely take place, and when they do, they're full of wannabe art snobs - the kind of people who know next to nothing about photography, but read an art magazine once, and think that they're better than everyone else because they want to be 'posh'

Living in Oxford, you've probably got access to people who know what they're talking about, and have a clue. In Aberdare, we've got a few amateur artists (photographers, painters etc.) who'll happily talk to each other, but then you've got the 'pros', who look down their noses at anyone without the latest Canon / Nikon with several thousand pounds worth of lenses, and you've got quite a large portion of the general public who think that a photo is rubbish if it doesn't feature them, their family or something immediately important to them. I've had supposedly knowledgeable people telling me that my photos are no good because I took photos of a band, and not them.

I'd much rather come onto a website like this, where I can look back through someone's posts and get a feel for them, and if they know their stuff, and then get genuine feedback from like minded photographers.

e.g. I don't care if a car enthusiast doesn't like my picture of a motorbike, but if a photographer tells me that the lighting is wrong, or I could have done something to make it better, then I appreciate the feedback

02-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tippon Quote
Very true, but not really helpful if you're stuck living somewhere in the sticks"...
Hmmn, any Flickr groups in your area? There are some active and social ones here and they are great fun - monthly meets in the pub, etc - as well as places to learn. This in addition to the regular photography clubs which are a bit more serious. You could try starting one yourself if there aren't any nearby. Yes, I admit I am fortunate in terms of a lot going on living where I do.

As for the rest, well your local folks are the folks you are going to have to get on with for as long as you are where you are. So it's up to you. There must be one or two you can hit it off with and that's a start. Are there any whose work you admire? Labels are how we make the world fit our preconceptions rather than allowing ourselves to see what the world really has to offer, imho. There's no objective reality to any label at all, so the issue lies inside our own head. The world stripped of our labelling is part of what photography is all about, imho.

Another thing I've enjoyed is organizing a small photography exhibition. You don't need many people or much space if it is modest in scope. Some wall space in a local library or cafe or town hall. But choosing a theme, selecting some pictures, putting it on - all very enjoyable, keeps one busy, you meet people, you hear lots of different views, one thing leads to another, etc. You might sell a pic or two. All ways of keeping things fresh and finding projects to keep one occupied.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-26-2013 at 03:56 PM.