Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Hasn't EVERYTHING been done at some time or another...even your wife's take on the mystery novel? Ansel Adams didn't invent landscape photography and Cartier-Bresson wasn't the first to shoot street scenes. But they both infused a certain something into their work that gave it worth.
Uhmmm, yeah. Then again, I'm no Adams or Leibovitz and my wife is no Dashiel Hammett. They saw in reality and produced in their art.

I think my wife gets her demons out in her characters while I just like 70's Pentax cameras, which was my point about photography. I don't think one absolutely has to take photographs for the final image (though the commenter who quoted Rand would likely ask, "Then, what's the point?").

For me the taking itself is enough; it is about enjoying the cameras. The print would just be measuring.

02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For me the taking itself is enough; it is about enjoying the cameras. The print would just be measuring.
That's cool. Isn't it a bit like owning vintage sports cars and not really caring whether you enter or win a race?
02-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

There is only one thing in art that is worthwhile. It is that which cannot be explained.

Georges Braque (13 May 1882 – 31 August 1963)
French painter and sculptor
02-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's cool. Isn't it a bit like owning vintage sports cars and not really caring whether you enter or win a race?
Owning them is one hobby. Some people restore them to 100 points and then shrink wrap them (Really. I kid you not. Shrink wrap!!)

Mechanically renovating to 85 or 90 points with re-creation parts as opposed to restoring with original, NOS parts - then driving what you own, casually, for the experience and enjoyment of driving them is a better comparison to what I do.

I think it's a harmless sort of mid-life crisis thing.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-23-2013 at 04:28 PM.
02-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Owning them is one hobby. Some people restore them to 100 points and then shrink wrap them (Really. I kid you not. Shrink wrap!!)
I hear ya. There was an article in our paper today about a local car dealer who sold a gull-wing Mercedes that used to belong to Clark Gable for $1.85 million. The article said that the car had gone through a restoration that cost $200,000. WTH?
02-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hear ya. There was an article in our paper today about a local car dealer who sold a gull-wing Mercedes that used to belong to Clark Gable for $1.85 million. The article said that the car had gone through a restoration that cost $200,000. WTH?
Well, that's not a CLA by Eric on a SV, for sure.

But if I had a provenanced Hasselbald that was owned by Ansel Adams and could document what photos he took with it ....
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
There is only one thing in art that is worthwhile. It is that which cannot be explained.

Georges Braque (13 May 1882 – 31 August 1963)
French painter and sculptor
That leaves him with the problem of explaining why it is worthwhile.

02-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in agreement. I love the machines for their own sake. After all, one camera is enough if the pictures were all that mattered. It is the experience 'taking', especially if it is with a beautiful mechanical creation, that pleases. Or another way of putting it, some take pictures in order to use the camera, rather than the reverse. I have a foot in both worlds, hence my use of old film cameras.
02-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My wife looks at my prints and sniffs, "OK. But that's been done."
Hah... well, it cuts both ways. I got my first ever "wow" from my wife today, for probably the most cliched image I've ever shown her . I kind of expected that. I took it with the inkling that I might try to sell some of the decor type shots through local cafes.
02-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife looks at my prints and sniffs, "OK. But that's been done."
Just tell her - that it has all been done before, photography wasn't dreamed up yesterday.

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
it cuts both ways. I got my first ever "wow" from my wife today, for probably the most cliched image I've ever shown her
There is a great strength in knowing what your audience will and will not like.
02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
That leaves him with the problem of explaining why it is worthwhile.
The "problem of explaining" is yours not his.

Last edited by wildman; 02-23-2013 at 11:26 PM.
02-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #42

Original Poster
hah. That quote reminds me vaguely of "its mystery is exceeded only by its power."
02-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
hah. That quote reminds me vaguely of "its mystery is exceeded only by its power."
Or, If you can understand it, it has no depth.