Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How should a beginner price for a niche market?

Recently I did a favor for a friend and did a promo shoot for her dance company's upcoming show. It turns out that they were overwhelmingly popular, to the point where other dance companies have contacted them asking who took them. According to my friend the number of dance photographers is quite small and the number of good ones is even smaller. I want to try my hand in it, but have absolutely no idea where to start with pricing as I've only charged someone for photos one time, a friend who insisted on paying me for her graduation shots. I've mainly done it as a hobby and never considered monetization, until now .

These weren't studio shots. They were outdoor, portraits of each dancer posing -in costume- and a couple of group shots. It was all done digitally, no prints. I've googled the topic and haven't found many good results. Can anyone help me shed some light on the subject (no pun intended, well.. maybe a little)?

Last edited by kardinal; 02-13-2013 at 10:47 AM.
02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ideally you could find out what the dance companies are paying now. Then you'd charge a little bit more.
02-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Ideally you could find out what the dance companies are paying now. Then you'd charge a little bit more.
I'm interested as to why you say to charge more than what they're currently paying. I was planning on undercutting slightly.
02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If they consider your work to be of better quality than what they are currently getting, a higher price would make sense to them.

Dance companies and other enterprises that hire photographers usually don't make their hiring decision on price. If they find a photographer that will dependably provide them with what they want / need, they will pay whatever the photographer cares to charge--within reason and their ability to pay.

02-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If they consider your work to be of better quality than what they are currently getting, a higher price would make sense to them.

Dance companies and other enterprises that hire photographers usually don't make their hiring decision on price. If they find a photographer that will dependably provide them with what they want / need, they will pay whatever the photographer cares to charge--within reason and their ability to pay.
I agree and disagree.
The key sentence here is that for you to charge more, they can be sure you can dependably provide them with what they want/need. If your portfolio is limited - how do you convince them of this?
I'd start by undercutting - and tell them that its a special referral price of some sort.

Its just my two cents. Honestly, pricing is what you think you can ask for...with a straight face. If you can't ask for a specific amount yet - practice on the mirror . Customers can feel your hesitation. If you dont think you can charge a specific amount - it will show.
02-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It is human nature to equate value with price. When you charge less, you are positioning yourself in your customer's mind as "not as good as".
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Again, agree and disagree.
By your reasoning, every new photographer should charge slightly more expensive than the next photographer. This leads to a point where the price just isnt realistic.

There is also human nature to realize when they are getting a bargain. The difference is communication, whether you are charging less because you are not as good as the next photographer - or because you are giving your customers a bargain.

02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
By your reasoning, every new photographer should charge slightly more expensive than the next photographer.
I did not say that. The OP has already demonstrated his work is better than what the dance companies are currently receiving. I'm saying his work is therefore worth more.
02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I did not say that. The OP has already demonstrated his work is better than what the dance companies are currently receiving. I'm saying his work is therefore worth more.
Good point.